Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 8:16:03 AM EDT
Other than our nuclear deterrent, which we wont use against a conventional attack, what could we do?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
They way I ahve always heard the way the 'second korean war' will go is this.

Day 1- North Wins
Day 2- North Wins
Day 3- Draw
Day 4- North loses
Day 5- There is no day 5

That might be a bit optomistic, but I think it shows the idea of what will happen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Pull back out of artillery range. Bomb the crap out of their artillery and fortifications for a few weeks. Ship more troops in. Attack.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Other than our nuclear deterrent, which we wont use against a conventional attack, what could we do?
View Quote

Once we complete moving our troops south out of artillery range, the job of protecting Seoul proper will be with the ROK Capitol, 1st, and Marine divisions. And our combined air forces.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Who said we wouldn't use nukes? It's a forgone conclusion because the answer to your question is piles of bodies too high to climb over.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the DMZ gets crossed it's B2s, B1s, and B52s, night and day, carpet bombing.  There would be a no mans land miles wide right along the DMZ.
View Quote

The "Second DMZ" would extend to the Yalu River.
That would prevent "Korea III".
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
i would say within an hour of a NK attack, we would conduct 'decapitating' strikes against them in Pyonyang
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a sneaking suspicion, that in the last 50 or so years.....
....we've come up with quite a decent plan for just such a contingency.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder where the “Human Shields”, would hide then?  And would the North Koreans honor their worthless lives?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The wild card is how the Chinese and Russians react.  They never thought the Chinese would invade the first time.  Things have a way of changing in war.  It should be interesting if it ever happens.  I am just sad that so many will be killed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think we have enough heavy bombers left to blast a determined, large enemy. Only about 50 or 60 B-52's left.  We only have 10 Army Divisions. Most of them are deployed around the world in Afganistan/Iraq/ peacekeeping missions worldwide,etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Billy Jeff Blythe !!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]
No more Task Force Smiths.

Their million-man army provides a target rich environment.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I doubt they will ever reach Seoul.  The NK Army will stop to loot as soon as they hit the first towns south of the DMZ.  North Korea is incredibly poor and backward--every house is going to be a treasure trove to the officers, NCOs, and enlisted men of the NK army.  Discipline will cease and everyone will loot.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Hah!  Strategically placed cases of MREs would slow them down more than landmines!  Those poor people are starving.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#17]
One of the most important facets of our Korean strategy has been our opening of relations and trade with China.  I don't believe China would ever jeopardize billions of dollars in trade to "save" N. Korea like they did in Korea I.  This frees the US to do whatever it takes to bring the PRK "Down to China Town".  Thank you Richard Nixon.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
If N.Korea chooses to invade the South, they do so with the knowledge that within a month there would no longer be a "N.Korea".
They can't win.
No one will bail them out.
South Korea would be renamed:  "Korea"
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The wild card is how the Chinese and Russians react.  They never thought the Chinese would invade the first time.  Things have a way of changing in war.  It should be interesting if it ever happens.  I am just sad that so many will be killed.
View Quote

Russia doesn't have a dog in this fight; no way to get any force there and no real reason to care about any Koreans.

After seeing DSII I doubt China wants to play.  They wouldn't dare cut off the revenues, first; but they know that the "Human Wave" strategy is useless in the days of Stealth bombers and MOAB.
Think of what the Chosin battle would have looked like with stealth-capable all-weather planes and a mixture of CBU, MOAB, and Nape.  Game over in the first period, mate.

Don't forget that Russia is no longer occupied and busy with Eastern Europe, as they were in the '50's.  If China sent their entire army to Korea, we blasted a large part thereof; China just lost Inner Mongolia; the Russians would re-take, happily, the disputed areas there; the Islands, (names escape me) and whatever else.
As long as we cut the Chinese off; bleed the Koreans before comitting ground troops, and keep a scorched earth buffer zone around the Yalu, it's do-able.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think we have enough heavy bombers left to blast a determined, large enemy. Only about 50 or 60 B-52's left.  We only have 10 Army Divisions. Most of them are deployed around the world in Afganistan/Iraq/ peacekeeping missions worldwide,etc.
View Quote

Oh so the B-52 is our only large bomber? Have you been ASLEEP for that last 16 months.
We have 72 B52H, 72 B1B, and 20 B2A bombers. Plus another 24 B52H and 18 B1B in store as replacements. There are probably a couple dozen more B52's at Davis Monthan that could be returned to service in a few weeks.

These 164 aircraft no longer have a standing nuclear deterrant mission. Their whole existance is now for situations like this. The 144 B1's and B52's would have no other task than to form a conga line between the DMZ and either Okinawa or Guam. By trying to bury their guns the NKPA has made them immobile. JDAMs dont miss immobile targets. Especally when a SF guy on the ground with a radio, is talking them in.

The B2's will be doing the Decapitation and air
defense suppression strikes deep inside Korea.

We only used about half of our heavy bombers in Iraqi Freedom. The rest were at Kadina on Guam or Hickam on Oahu watching North Korea.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't believe that people are acting as though war with North Korea would be something that we are somehow not prepared for.
Anyone who has served a day in the military will tell you that it is almost an obssession.
Hawaii, Okinawa, Guam, etc..
The forces in the Pacific Rim is referred to as "the tip of the spear".
Guess what the spear's been pointing at for the past 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]
How do you guys think this situation will be resolved?  Diplomatically, economically, or through brute military force?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]
When the current leadership of NK dies, the country will leave the hard-core cult-of-personality communism it has adopted and return to the community of nations.  After a few years catching up with the rest of the world outside of it's coccoon, it will do as East Germany did.

Like Cuban Marxism, it not long outlive the current leadership; and there will not likely be a transfer of leadership as in NK when Kim Il Sung passed the mantle to Kim Jong Il.  That transfer had been prepared for many years.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I know that smart weapons and bombs make bombers and fighters MUCH more effective on ground targets. I don't know what the stockpile of them are. What I meant, was that we used to have around 700 B-52's. And 1500 or 2000 B-47's. If we got in "big war" and used up all the inventory of high tech munitions, and had to drop only "dumb bombs" on a large enemy military force, we would be hurting. We don't have enough bombers to carry the required tonnage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]
whats to stop N. Korea from rolling right through the capital
View Quote

I will tell you what.....

[img]http://www-area1.korea.army.mil/Installations/px-cpowen.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/images/2id.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top