Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 8:02:12 AM EDT
Need some input for my next mod to my truck.

I am going mainly for performance and sound here.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No clue myself, but I know they're out there. I was next to one the other day, and when the [b]girl[/b] nailed it, the truck sounded more like a Corvette or Viper than a pick-up. Deep, rich rumble - not raspy or tinny at all. Sounded real good. The girl was very cute too. She had some sticker on the back of the cab about cowgirls or something. I couldn't focus. I was too involved in my shame of driving an inferior V-8 F150.

If all else fails, put a 4" fart pipe on it like the ricers do, but you'll need lots of "NOS" and miscellaneous Kanji script stickers as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/sound/ford_f250_2001_68V10_3infromcattomuf_flow40sido_225dual_18inansaslashcuttip35in_sn009_.mp3[/url]

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh, yeah. Sounded about like that. Neat!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Flowmaster 2.5" 30 or 40 series.
I would go with the 30 series. The 30 series will be quieter in the cab, less resonance.

I think you have a single cat so a single in, dual out would keep the emmissions equip intact

Exit straight out the back, side or corner exit behind the rear wheel looks gay.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exit straight out the back, side or corner exit behind the rear wheel looks gay.
View Quote

For real?

I think those saleen mustangs, and the SVO packages I've seen with the side exit in front of the wheel look slick.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exit straight out the back, side or corner exit [red]behind[/red] the rear wheel looks gay.
View Quote

For real?

I think those saleen mustangs, and the SVO packages I've seen with the side exit in front of the wheel look slick.
View Quote

Read closer.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh I see, like the ones that are just a 90 degree bend in a straight pipe,

[rainman] yeah gay... definately gay [/rainman]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
PRO-FLO is another option.
I have them on my truck and think they sound great. Probbaly about the same volume as the 30 series, maybe a tad quieter.
I can drive the truck cross-country without getting a headache.

PRO-FLOW are also less expensive.

A muffler shop in FTW custom installed the whole thing (welded, not clamped) cat-back with huge 14"x4" chrome sewer tips for under $200.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Need some input for my next mod to my truck.

I am going mainly for performance and sound here.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Don't do it!

1) Teams of engineers have spent millions of dollars designing the power plant of your vehicle.  The chance that you will be able to make a real improvement are close to zero.

2) Forcing people to listen to excessive noise just because that noise makes you happy is as wrong as forcing people to give you money simply because money makes you happy.
  If you don't believe that people put a high value on peace and quiet, just check out the property prices in quite neighborhoods vs. noisy ones.

3) All the people that will stare at you as you drive past will Not be thinking "gosh he's cool".  They will be thinking "gee what an @$$ hole".
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't do it!

1) Teams of engineers have spent millions of dollars designing the power plant of your vehicle.  The chance that you will be able to make a real improvement are close to zero.

2) Forcing people to listen to excessive noise just because that noise makes you happy is as wrong as forcing people to give you money simply because money makes you happy.
  If you don't believe that people put a high value on peace and quiet, just check out the property prices in quite neighborhoods vs. noisy ones.

3) All the people that will stare at you as you drive past will Not be thinking "gosh he's cool".  They will be thinking "gee what an @$$ hole".
View Quote

Agreed!  I made the mistake of doing excess mods like this when I was younger (I'm not old now for what its worth).  I had an '88 vette that needed a new exhaust system, so I put a flowmaster set on from the cat back.  When I was spanking it, it did sound excellent, but that's <1% of driving.  The rest of the time, it was just plain loud and annoying.

If there was anything good about that car, it was that it cured me of the habit of doing non-utilitarian modifications to a car.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the factory system on my wifes 2000 F250 V10 sounds great.

I hope I don't have to change it for a long, long, time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont agree with the old men above.

However one downside is that I had to rip off the factory STAINLESS exhaust and I replaced it with mild steel.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
i have a chevy 8.1L (496) which is obviously going to be louder than a ford v-10.  my factory exhaust was 3.5" true dual to the muffler then out one side pipe.  i replaced that, necking down to 2.5" through dual flowmasters and came out the sides at 45 degree angles...........at idle, highway, etc... its not very loud at all, the big block rumble for sure, but not loud at all.  only time its loud is when you want it loud.  flowmaster goes for flow over volume.

if you want pure loud ass pipes i suggest glass packs, warlocks, demons, or some other brand of muffler.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Banks! All stainless, 3.5" mandrel bent tubing. It is just loud enough to hear the engine running but not too loud at idle or highway cruising speeds.

The biggest problem with these trucks is the restricted Y pipe that leads into the converter. Have a muffler shop cut out the necked down area and install a 2.5" section in it's place. This will give as much of a power increase as the cat back system. Start with this then do the rest of the system. Should run about $50-$75. Money well spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top