Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 3:56:33 AM EDT
Well, I'm usually a Chevy guy. But may have found a good deal on a nice 2001 Ford Lariat extended cab shortbed 4X4. May give Ford a shot.

I mentioned this to a co-worker, and he started going on about how Fords have problems with their front ends due to faulty hubs or soemthing.

Is this a common problem? Was it something that Ford has worked out?

Is there anything else Fords have problems with?

This truck has 60,000 miles on it, but I know it's been well taken care of (I'm friends with the owner).

Just don't want any big suprises.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2001 F250 diesel.  35k, no problems thus far.  I have not heard of any substantial problem with the front end with Fords.  I would suggest that you use the Electronic Shift On the Fly feature to put it into 4WD at least once per month, and lock in the hubs manually about once a month in order to keep everything lubed and running well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Only problem that I know of is that some of the Ford pickups don't have grease ports on the ball joints.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely no problems here. I have about 147K on my 97 F150 4X4.

My ball joints didn't have fittings either. I used a needle fitting on my greasegun to lube the ball joints (many deep creek crossings), when they started to sqeak. Haven't heard a peep since.

Try the Ford forums for tons of info.

[url]www.f150online.com[/url]
[url]www.fordtruckworld.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have three Ford 4x4's. Two Broncos and an F-350. The only problems I've found with the front ends seem to be the auto-locking hubs and the steering radius arm bushings.
The bushings on both Broncos went out at about 150k miles. Not an expensive repair (if you diy, I don't know what a shop would charge).
The auto-hubs don't seem to stand up to hard off road use, especially if you are moving when they engage.
You may find that Fords tend to ride a mite rougher than Chevys.
Ymmv.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
'97 F150 4x4 with 218k and zero problems with the front end. Did replace the steering tie rod ends after 150k, but such replacement is not unusual for tie rod ends with that many miles. Plenty of 4WD miles in desert dust and mud (during rainy season). Like Nate1 said, the ball joints occasionally squeek because they do not have grease fittings.

No manufacturer recommends you drive paved surfaces in 4WD unless you like  to repair gears and bearings.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2003 F150 Lariat 4x4. Awesome truck... no problems whatsoever.... but then it only has 6,500 miles on it.
--RR
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
'98 F150 4x4 80K. No front end problems at all. Good even tire wear now that I've switched to Michelins vs. the pathetic Goodyears. I had significant cupping on the GY rubber at 45K. No cupping on the MI rubber now, even though I've only rotated them once. I do drive my truck off-road frequently, and the steering is as tight and centered as it was when new. If you're not sure, take the truck to a qualified and trusted mechanic for a thorough inspection.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to borrow the Ford for the weekend and see if I like it.

So how many miles should I be able to get out of this thing without any major problems (the transmission is what probably worries me the most)?

It's had 60,000 miles put on it in two years. But most of that was highway miles. And like said, he took good care of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top