Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 9:42:59 PM EDT
Is it a law that if you sell a gun over the internet you have to ship to an FFL holder?  I have yet to see an online sale in which the seller will ship directly to you.  I'm not talking about buisnesses, I'm talking about individual sales.  You don't need any paperwork when selling a gun at a gunshow, and selling over the internet is just a private sale just like a gunshow, right?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You must have a firearm shipped to an FFL. It is against the law for a person to ship a firearm to another person! When I sell a gun on line,I take it to my dealer,pay him $25 (which I charge to the buyer) and he packs it up and ships it-Easy and hassle free! The ONLY way a person can privatly ship a gun is to the MANUFACTURER for service,and they can ship it back to the owner,otherwisa all mail gun sales MUST go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You must have a firearm shipped to an FFL. It is against the law for a person to ship a firearm to another person! When I sell a gun on line,I take it to my dealer,pay him $25 (which I charge to the buyer) and he packs it up and ships it-Easy and hassle free! The ONLY way a person can privatly ship a gun is to the MANUFACTURER for service,and they can ship it back to the owner,otherwisa all mail gun sales MUST go through an FFL.
View Quote

WRONG!
There are plenty of states you can ship within the same state and be legal.
The only other thing that I can think of in shipping a gun accross state lines is a gun made prior to 1894 I believe,they are not considered modern firearms by the ATF but might be by the state you live in.
Always check the state and federal laws.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
from ATF

[url]www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8[/url]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
In my state of Alabama, you can legally ship a long gun to another individual as long they also live in Alabama.  No shipping of handguns (or long guns outside the state) unless through a FFL.

[img]edjones7.home.mchsi.com/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 I'm not talking about buisnesses, I'm talking about individual sales.  You don't need any paperwork when selling a gun at a gunshow, and selling over the internet is just a private sale just like a gunshow, right?
View Quote

WRONG!

There IS paperwork at gunshows when buying from FFL holders (which 99% of the guys with tables full of guns are)... But if you see some other attendee walking around trying to sell a nice gun, and you buy it from him there's no paperwork for THAT sale (unless Mr walk-a-round is an FFL).

The only time there is NO paperwork is when you buy from another private citizen who resides in your own state (i.e. like buying a gun from the newspaper classifieds). All other sales require paperwork, and all out-of-state transfers require that you ship to a FFL holder.

The rules are the same WRT the Internet.

In-state private party = no paperwork

Out-of-state = Must ship to FFL.

In-state-FFL = no papers for the seller, but whoever buys the gun from the FFL gets checked...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top