Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 3:53:44 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new gun mag to subscribe to, I was thinking of SOF. Anybody here read it on a regular basis? Are the articles well written and factual or just alot of BS?
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
SOF is a really good mag.

But I would have to say go with "Combat & Survival" magazine or "Small Arms Review" I like those two best.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks M4, I'll check them out. Anybody else have an opinion.
Right now my 2 favorite mags are Guns&Ammo and Shooting Times.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I get SOF, good mag.  I picked up a copy of Combat & Survival at a local book store, how the hell do I get a subscription?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was REQUIRED to read it when I worked on a job writing Army maintenance comics in 1982.

It's still an interesting perspective.  I pick up a new copy now and again.

I used to love some of the firearms-related articles.  One writer while ranting about the lower muzzle velocity of the .308 compared to the .30-'06 waxed nostalgic about the M1919-A4 something like this:

[b]"We safety-wire the dreadful M60 to keep it from shaking itself apart while 150,000 of the finest light machine guns ever made rot in cosmoline."[/b]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]"We safety-wire the dreadful M60 to keep it from shaking itself apart while 150,000 of the finest light machine guns ever made rot in cosmoline."[/b]
View Quote

I think we can say the same thing about atleast one or two other weapons in service today
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
At least they're draggin out the M14 over in the big sand lot.

hopefully we can redirect the 'surplus' ones over to the CMP program.

back to SOF...

IT was pretty decent in the 80's.. kinda tapered off recently (from the ones I've checked out at the store).
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Idont really read it often. i just look at the pictures.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
This used to be a favorite read in the AMMO breakroom.....

I like the "I was there" type stories and the stories about far off, little known brush wars.

The rest of it I can take or leave.

IYAAYAS!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a subscription and I read it regularly. A lot of the older people have left, so it is not quite the same as the magazine as it was 5 years ago. I find that the articles are factual and accurate. The people who write for them are decent. Some of the stories that appeared in the magazine goes mainstream a few months later. I'm thinking about the story regarding the trafficking of women at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Nahh, this one's better.
[img]http://www.binarystorage.net/clients/flashbunny/pics/frenchy.jpg[/img]

P.S. This picture was created by Bastiat, who runs www.flashbunny.org.  I just thought it was about time for his supurb work to grace ar15.com again.  It's been a while.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a lifetime subscription to SOF during their anniversary celebration a couple of years back. Damn good magazine, they pull no punches if the idiot is a Dem or Republican.

American Handgunner is also an excellent magazine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I like SOF.

You get alot of news in there about whats going on around the world that you can't find anywhere else.

If you like reading about that stuff and whats going on in the military its pretty cool.

If you're strickly interested in weapons,you mght want to go else where.

Here's what ..........folks with a different mindset think about it.

My mother saw one laying around my house and was worried that I was gonna join some anti government,terror malitia or something.[rolleyes]

I asked her if she'd ever read one.........Of course she hadn't...........I aked how she knows its dangerous or phsyco......she couldn't answer me.

Judging a book by its cover......?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#14]
My mother saw one laying around my house and was worried that I was gonna join some anti government,terror malitia or something.
View Quote

Hehe, my mom thought the same when I asked her to buy me a copy in San Diego a while back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
At the news stand I browse through magazines to see if there is something that I want to read.  I don't buy unless there is.  Doesn't matter what magazine it is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got a lifetime subscription to SOF during their anniversary celebration a couple of years back. Damn good magazine, they pull no punches if the idiot is a Dem or Republican.

American Handgunner is also an excellent magazine.
View Quote

Ditto on those to magazines. I subscribe to them both also. I got the lifetime subscription for SOF also. The other magazine that I get and read is the NRA's American Rifleman.

Quoted:
At the news stand I browse through magazines to see if there is something that I want to read.  I don't buy unless there is.  Doesn't matter what magazine it is.
View Quote

Othan the 3 magazines mentioned, I don't subscribe to others because I just buy when I see something of interest to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to read it when the Russians were in Afghanistan.  There was no other sources for news about that then.  You would never have known there was a major war occuring at the edge of the middle east reading hte mainstream press.

I read everything Peter Kokalis - factual, no BS.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Ex Marine, fearless, wants merc work.

...never read it.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
SOF also predicted terrorist attacks in the USA proper before the 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attacks, but like other terrorist attacks couldn't be specific enough as when and/or where. I read the stories, but I didn't know who all the players were. The stories mention a lot of different people and Osama Bin Laden was one of them. They also did in-depth stories on militant Islamic extremists on the Cole ship bombing, the bombing of the USA embassies in Kenya and Sudan(?). I lot of the mainstream news media regarded the reports of terrorists on the USA as highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Editing the douple post.

pat
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to read it religiously, until Peter Kokalis left for Small Arms Review. Now I subscribe to SAR solely.
[url]www.smallarmsreview.com[/url]
View Quote

Hear Hear.

I pick up the occasional issue now, but SAR is where it is at. Peter Kokalis has a BA in English and an MS in Physical Sciences. He knows his stuff!

NO BS

pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top