Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 12:34:33 PM EDT
I carried concealed this weekend for the first time, with my Kimber Pro Carry this weekend in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II behind my right hip. I had on shorts and a tucked-in skivvy shirt, with an untucked polo shirt over that. The butt of the weapon didn't print noticeably, and I asked my wife to keep an eye on my butt...uhhhhh.

Anyway, it was very comfortable even riding in the car. I have switched my wallet to the left rear pocket, along with a spare mag, as I saw recommended here on the board. My company doesn't allow us to carry here at the office, so I'm going to have to come up with a locker box in my truck.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Jarhead -

Its a bit of a rush, ain't it???

Knowing you won't have to die like a dog in the street, at the hands of some wacked out junkie gang banger. Self-reliance is VERY exhilarating.

Careful about what ChaZ says tho. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished. The thinking today is that crime is random and therefore acceptable. But God forbid if you should "break the rules" intentionally and attempt to defend yourself and your co-workers.

It ALWAYS amazes me when I hear of a self-defense situation in a copporate environment, ESPECIALLY using a firearm, and the corporate eggheads decide NOT to punish the gun owner / hero.

SHeesh....
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm jealous. Not that I would carry that often as I wouldn't feel the need for it in most situations but the option would be nice.

Nice choice in a carry firearm as well. I like the Kimber a lot and will enjoy purchasing the CDP someday. Maybe the wife will spring for it for my birthday.....not!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Haaahhhhh, 5 more months......

33yrs of just depending on martials arts for self defense I guess I can go 5 more months. Damn 6 month residency law.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Please clue me in on the details of carry laws in Texas. It sounds like you got it better than the average Joe in the PRK that's for sure.

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Screw your company. Carry your gun anyway. When you put a bullet in a head of a deranged psycho killer and saved your co-workers' asses, they'll give you a medal or something...

[b][purple]-[/purple][blue]C[/blue][red]h[/red][gold]a[/gold][green]Z[/green][/b]
View Quote

No, they will fire your ass. But do it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jarhead -

Careful about what ChaZ says tho. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished. The thinking today is that crime is random and therefore acceptable. But God forbid if you should "break the rules" intentionally and attempt to defend yourself and your co-workers.
View Quote

Criminal kills everyone at the office, no corporate liability. Employee blows a .45 slug through criminals brain and clips co-worker in pinky finger, corporation liable for damages. It's all about the money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please clue me in on the details of carry laws in Texas. It sounds like you got it better than the average Joe in the PRK that's for sure.

View Quote

Can you say "shall issue" why do you think I moved here. Class3 friendly. CCW(CHL here) issue providing you pass proficiency and background check. Must be a TX for 6mos though unless you lived in bordering states and travel to TX often. Get this, [b]the CHL is issued by the Dept. of Public Safety.[/b] TX also has reciprocation agreement with a  number of states, sadly CA isn't one of em. NV, AZ, FL, TN, UT just to name a few. No restrictive gun laws just that of Fed Laws. But I still miss the beach
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I moved my California-girl wife here from Anaheim Hills a year ago, and we love it. She misses the beach, just like lordtrader, but we have a pool in our development and twice the house for $25K less money. I didn't have to give up --or register-- my AR or any other toy, and I pay $55 to register my truck, not a percentage of its value.

I love Texas. I'm here to stay, barring some unnatural occurrence.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Anaheim?!?!?! You guys ever hear of Lake Forest. Or any of my old hangouts such as Huntington Brewery/Blackies/Sharky's/BJ's Pizza
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Lordtrader,

You can always go to Galveston to experience the gorgeous Texas Riviera. The water is a most beautiful shade of murky brown. Watch out for the tar-balls on the beach because it is hell getting tar off of the bottom of your feet!
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Well done Jarhead.  I's like to suggest you get in the habbit of carrying everywhere you go.  I know too amny folks with their CHL that only carry when they "think they might need it" - whenever the hell that is...

Better to develop good carry habits right off the bat.  Obviously that starts with carrying the weapon in the first place.  If I ever walk out of the house without my sidearm I don't get far because I feel nekkid.

Be safe.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a full CCW permit in NY and have been through voluntary CC training.You should remember,if you have a CCW permit than in order to use it properly you should be armed EVERY DAY.You should get yourself into the habit of carrying every day as it is a silly thing to say "I'll only carry my gun when I think I'll need it".How do you know when you'll need your gun,crime happens when you least expect it and there is NO limits to crimes reach.Take some free advice and wear your gun EVERY day and make sure that your holster of choice is comfortable enough to wear every day,because if it isn't you'll leave home without it.Remember you have a CCW permit for a DEFENSIVE situation and the first rule of any armed confrontation is have gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Lordtrader: arhnt all those places near the Huntington Beach peer???
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lordtrader: arhnt all those places near the Huntington Beach peer???
View Quote

Huntington Brewery is. The rest are at Newport Beach pier. Use to rollerblade around there and stopp off for a cold beverage or two.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anaheim?!?!?! You guys ever hear of Lake Forest. Or any of my old hangouts such as Huntington Brewery/Blackies/Sharky's/BJ's Pizza
View Quote

We were in The Longboarder on Main in Huntington quite a bit. In fact, I proposed to my wife on Huntington Pier. We ate at Il Farro in Newport a lot...mmmmm Italian...and at Felix's Cuban Cafe on the circle in Orange.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I plan to carry as often as is practical. I mean, if I can go somewhere where the probability of having to take off my shirt is low, I'll most likely be carrying. If I'm going to the doctor's office for a physical, probably not. Again though, once I get a lockbox in the truck, that will make it easier to carry all the time, and just leave it in the truck if I stop at the post office or the courthouse.

I definitely believe in the old saw, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I would carry at work. If they dont see it you cant in trouble for it. If you have to use it at work at least you would be alive maybe without a job but you be alive and thas the important thing.

Six
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Jarhead,
I second you decision not to carry into a doctor's office as it may be against the law.

If your doctor's office is in a hospital, do not carry there.

Title 37 Chapter 6 (page 71 of Tx DPS publication on CCW law) states that it is a Class A Misdemeanor to carry "On the premises of a hospital liscensed under Health and Safety Code, chapter 241, unless the liscense holder has written authorization of the hospital administration."  It does say,however, that the proper signage has to be posted and that the law shall not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Texas Penal Code 30.06

Just remember that 30.06 means do not enter with weapon and you'll be good.

I have found something else kind of strange in the law here in Texas, it is a Class C Misdemeanor for a liscense holder to carry on or about his person a handgun as he is on or across land of the Lower Colorado Rivewr Authority. According to the law, no posting is required and it is covered by Texas Parks and Wildlife Code 62.081

My question is this, I am driving to my lake house on Lake LBJ(if I could afford one) and I get stopped on a road passing through LCRA land. Am I in violation of the law?

Or does Public street exempt me ?  

Do we have any attorneys that can speak upand answer this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey lordtrader and hoeftjl -

And what is South Padre Island? Chopped liver?

Eric The Hun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top