Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 11:01:34 AM EDT
With Richard Gere and Laura Linney. Saw it the other night. Very creepy. And supposedly based on a true story. (Wow!)

Anybody can validate the story behind the movie?

Supposedly, there is a creature called the Mothman who appears before the occurance of some great tragedy.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
That movie creeped me out bigtime.  If you go to the official website (just search on google) and it will have the historical background.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a very good movie.  Very creepy, and it kept me on the edge of my seat until the end.  I felt wanting at the end, but mainly because I wanted to know more about the Mothman, and you don't get much closure there.

I'm not sure how much of the Mothman myth is true, but the incident at the end of the movie (I won't give it away.) really happened.  As to the characters, I think they're all made-up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up in that area and worked there for a long time at Columbia Gas Transmission's HQ and got out into that area a lot.

They based it loosely on the true story.  When I was a kid the mothman was our boogie man.  People claimed to be chased by this strange creature with red glowing eyes.  People that claimed to have been close to the creature said they could “feel it going through their thoughts” as you would shuffle through papers in a file folder.  Often sightings of the creature were accompanied by UFO sightings.  Along with the moth man there was also the Flatwoods monster which may have been the same creature.  But as far as I know it did not send warnings to anyone.

What I don’t understand is how it ties into coming disasters??  And how this is supposed to tie in with Chief Cornstalk and the curse he put on that area some 200 years ago.  Anyway, I have not seen the thing, but I do know people that have.  When I was a kid people would make sure that the shades were drawn at night because the creature like to peer in windows.  

Then again, home grown and moonshine are fairly strong stuff and known to cause hallucinations.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then again, home grown and moonshine are fairly strong stuff and known to cause hallucinations.
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken.

MM419
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey I'm in VA -Where is that Shine and weed...Been lookin for years!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The Chief Cornstalk curse is a different thing altogether. The curse of Cornstalk is what supposely, caused the crazy woman to walk in the county courthouse and jail with 30 pounds TNT and blow it to shit. The courthouse took the blast, but ti gutted the inside. Also took out windows for three blocks. The blast killed the sheriff,three deputies,and the woman and her husband (he was in jail at the time).It wounded a state policeman. The suitcase full of dynomite was suppose to be his clothes. For some reason it was never checked when she came in....As far as Cornstalk,they had recently dug his body up (about a block away) and moved it.

The Mothman everyone links him with UFOs. My dad and grandmother used to tell me about all the strange lights. Also alot of people talked about the men it black type around town,they asked alot of question,but no one knew who they were. I dated a girl whose mother,was one of them it was supposed to have chased. She told me the story,but as far as believing her...Well I don't know. Now where all this took place was US goverment land. They made high explosives there during WWII. It is full of large concrete igloos and large brick buildings,and some underground areas. It is all covered with soil,grass and trees to camoflage it from the air. The same area now is state owed and is a public hunting area. (McClinic Wildlife Refuge)That where I shot alot, they have a public shooting range there.

Yes I live in Point Pleasant,WV. I was only 5 years old when all this happened. I never seen a thing, but alot of people swear it all happened.

Greg

Edited to add:

The Silver Bridge fell into the Ohio River Dec.15,1967 taking the lives of 46 people. It was on a Friday and the bridge was full of Chrismas traffic.
After that the Mothman was never seen again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
"Hey I'm in VA -Where is that Shine and weed...Been lookin for years!"

--------------------------

About 4 years ago the ATF busted one of the larger "illegal liquor" operations in the state...

http://www.atf.treas.gov/press/field/fy99/lightning_strike.htm

Roanoke, VA—United States Attorney Robert P. Crouch, Jr., ATF Special Agent in Charge Patrick D. Hynes, Chris Curtis, Director, Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control, Sheriff Billy B. McPherson, Craig County, Virginia, the North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement Department, and the Internal Revenue Service announced that this morning law enforcement agents executed ten (10) federal search warrants on a variety of locations in Franklin and Craig Counties in Virginia. The search warrants are a result of an extensive 8-month long investigation into the illegal liquor “moonshine” industry that thrives in the Franklin County area of Virginia. This investigation has revealed that huge quantities of moonshine produced in this area have been sent to “shot houses” and other consumers in Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD and Philadelphia, PA.

SAC Hynes said, “Our investigation has shown that this was a well run, organized and highly efficient operation. The size and scope of this case clearly shows that moonshine can be big business, albeit illegal.” Over the past four years this organization has purchased approximately 553,968 one-gallon containers, which equates to over $6,924,000 in illicit liquor sales. This organization is being investigated for alleged violations of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 95 and Title 26, Section 5601(a)(1), unregistered manufacturing and operation of a still, and other federal statutes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The book, by a real life John Keel, is an interesting story of how he came to learn that all of the paranormal is connected to a general force of evil loosely connected to the earth and capable of doing great harm to the lives of those who it draws in.

One of the great books of its time.

The movie shares nothing with the book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top