Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 4:34:54 AM EDT
[url]http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=30177[/url]

Philadelphia's Juneteenth celebrations hit a high peak Thursday with a sacred music concert at Washington Square.

Philadelphia's celebrations of Juneteenth, the African-American Freedom Day, have been going on at various venues around the city since last month.

But on Thursday, Freedom Day itself, celebrants will mark the occasion by marching from Penns Landing to Washington Square -- the route slaves being transported to this region would have taken.

Organizer Ronald Brown:

"There'll be some drumming and some dancing. And we want to encourage as many African Americans who have drums to just be there at that site and be part of the procession, which will go to the London Coffee House and then it will proceed to the Liberty Bell."

A concert of sacred music is scheduled at Washington Square at 6th and Walnut from noon until 5 pm on Thursday.

There's also a Freedom Day celebration scheduled for Saturday, beginning at 730 am at 31st and Spring Garden Streets.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=30177[/url]

marching from Penns Landing to Washington Square -- the route slaves being transported to this region would have taken.

View Quote

Thats a march of about 4 whole blocks! [lol]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
But on Thursday, Freedom Day itself, celebrants will mark the occasion by marching from Penns Landing to Washington Square -- the route slaves being transported to this region would have taken.
View Quote

Why?  It's not like that was the "good ole days."
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the fire extinguishers ready.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

We here in Michigan beat you to it.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=191795&w=activePop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope not too many people miss work because of this....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd have to assume they'd bothered to have gotten jobs in the first place....

IBTL, because sometimes the truth is just too tough to handle....
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont worry, they wont.

Penns Landing sits right on the Delaware river, to get to Washington Square, you cross over I95 on a walk bridge, and go two blocks to the square.

Most of the businesses there are the bars on South Street.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they want to celebrate Black Freedom Day, why isn't the celebration taking place where the largest concentrations of blacks in Philadelphia actually live: North Philadelphia?

You'd think they could really get a party going around Broad and Erie.
View Quote

Because that would not disrupt anybody's life.

And, there always seems to be people walking in the streets at Broad & Erie anyway.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#10]
And we want to encourage as many African Americans who have drums to just be there...
View Quote

There's gonna be a crowd.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

We here in Michigan beat you to it.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=191795&w=activePop[/url]
View Quote

NOTHING screams "pride" like burning down the neighbor's house!

You should all try it sometime, it is really quite breathtaking.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Smart to keep the celebration away from any big appliance stores and far from their homes...
Hard to get a big screen tv on the bus
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh but they will - and no, most won't say "I'd like a vacation day" - they call and say, "I'm not feeling good today" and take a sick day.  Seen it before.  Mother-inlaw employs a majority of minorities and had a real problem when the majority of her employees didn't show up for work on a particular day.  An advance notice and an honest VACATION day would have been nice (she could have arranged for some folks on another shift to help out).
CR
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmm...sacred music from a land that they refuse to go back to, ethnic names, and another made up day to continue the appeasement of a certian race of people, the majority of who arn't even decendants of slaves in the first fucking place!!!

I hope that they burn their neighborhoods just like in the Watts riots and in the LA Riots after Rodney King.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is it that any sort of celebration by blacks includes singing & dancing?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Sacred music??
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Smart to keep the celebration away from any big appliance stores and far from their homes...
Hard to get a big screen tv on the bus
View Quote

Sad but true.

Anyone know what he  'sacred music' they're refering to?? Maybe a playlist?? Who's hosting the party??

St. Ludicris??

Do Jah rule??
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Let them have their fantasy.

I celibrate every day. I was born in America. Not only was I born in America, I was born in the south! As if that weren't good enough, I got this here penis too!
American, southern, male. MAN, WHO WANTS TO BE ME!!!!!!!!

Right now there are less fortunate people than me in third world countries wishing they could have been blessed at birth like me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top