Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2016 3:55:58 PM EDT
I have what I can only assume is tendinitis in my right elbow. I didn't think much of it at first. Tried to stay off of it. Doing that seems to help the pain, but as soon as I lift anything with weight the pain comes back. Shooting carbines or even a pistol is painful.

That was 6 - 8 months ago.

Im still having issues. Most days its manageable. Others I cant use my right arm due to pain in my elbow. Ive iced it, Ive put heat to it. Ive tried stretching. Other than not using it and taking what I consider large amounts of ibuprofen are the only things that seem to help.

Ive talked to a few docs here and there since I have been going after being in a wreck. They all pretty much tell me to stay off it or ice/heat.

Im up to about 1K MG of ibuprofen. Around that dosage it does seem to keep the inflammation down enough not to give me issues. But I figure that's not good on me long term.

So whats the next step to try? Splint it up in something?

If it continues much longer I guess Im going to have to go to some orthopedic place as I don't want this to be a life long injury
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Have fun with your screwed up stomach.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

One issue at a time my friend, one at a time
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
PREDNISONE.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.
View Quote

OTC or do I need a prescription?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
See an ortho now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Medical Marijuana
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Switch hands.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Switch hands.
View Quote

I tried this months ago
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
welcome to getting old.   Tendinitis in the elbow is very common among middle aged men, especially lifters.  It can really only be managed, doesn't really ever go away.  It's like Dr Banner, don't make it angry.   You have to figure out if you have golfers (inside) or tennis (outside) elbow.

ibuprofen.
cross tissue massage (really this makes a huge difference, hurts like holy hell but it works)
theraband.  (yeah, looks stupid, really works, about $20.  theraband flex bar
heat  (not ice)
rest, don't piss it off, let the inflammation go down
elbow sleeves.  They don't really support it, but they help keep it warm and the blood flowing.  http://www.roguefitness.com/rehband-elbow-support-7081 and stop it from being angry (er)

not a doctor, didn't stay at a holiday inn last night, do have tennis elbow.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Glucosamine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
welcome to getting old.   Tendinitis in the elbow is very common among middle aged men, especially lifters.  It can really only be managed, doesn't really ever go away.  It's like Dr Banner, don't make it angry.   You have to figure out if you have golfers (inside) or tennis (outside) elbow.

ibuprofen.
cross tissue massage (really this makes a huge difference, hurts like holy hell but it works)
heat  (not ice)
elbow sleeves.  They don't really support it, but they help keep it warm and the blood flowing.  http://www.roguefitness.com/rehband-elbow-support-7081 and stop it from being angry (er)

View Quote

I was hoping to get another decade out of myself before having issues

Ill give a look at what you suggested. The PT girl at the chiropractors office suggested some sort of small brace which I may also try. She said it just went above your elbow and it was small.

Ive never had something hurt for this extended amount of time before in my life. Its not fun

It definitely feels on the outside of it. Honestly its almost just forward of the elbow towards my wrist if we are being very technical.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.
View Quote

This.

I had two shots in my elbow and it fixed it. This was about 10 years ago. No issue since. The first shot doesn't always work. There is no guarantee but it's worth the shot.

I had plantar fasciitis/heel spurs. I got shots in my heels and they didn't work. I was limping and in pain for about 18 months. My problem was that I didn't stay off my feet. I kept running and working out. I stretched the hell out of my Achilles and that finally did the job. No stretching your elbow though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]
This is going to sound stupid, but try it.

Stand with your face to the wall, and put your hands down in front of you, palms facing the wall, flatten your hands and then use your weight to push against the wall, it will force your elbows to point in and stretch.

This helped me last time I had a flare up, mine hurt on the inside of the elbow, it was due to lifting too much.

That stretch, and MSM daily made it feel way better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

I had two shots in my elbow and it fixed it. This was about 10 years ago. No issue since. The first shot doesn't always work. There is no guarantee but it's worth the shot.

I had plantar fasciitis/heel spurs. I got shots in my heels and they didn't work. I was limping and in pain for about 18 months. My problem was that I didn't stay off my feet. I kept running and working out. I stretched the hell out of my Achilles and that finally did the job. No stretching your elbow though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

This.

Are you sure it wasn't cortisone?

Prednisone is usually taken orally.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is going to sound stupid, but try it.

Stand with your face to the wall, and put your hands down in front of you, palms facing the wall, flatten your hands and then use your weight to push against the wall, it will force your elbows to point in and stretch.

This helped me last time I had a flare up, mine hurt on the inside of the elbow, it was due to lifting too much.

That stretch, and MSM daily made it feel way better.
View Quote

Ill try it. I believe Ive been doing something similar to this already.

It does help. Very painful while doing it, but I do seem to gain motion back and the pain is less for a little while.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Dr has to write it out.  if its just tendonitus the exercise will help it but you need to make sure
its nothing worse. he can give you exercises to do and maybe physical therapy.

Mine was gone in 3 weeks.

they can give you a shot and give pills to stay on while at home.

you get about 42 - 10mg pills.   6 total day 1 and then 5 for 4 days, 4 for 4 days and 3 for 3 days and so on to ween you off.

of course its like 2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch and 2 before bed not all at once and make sure you eat when taking them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those sliders getting to you OP?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dr has to write it out.  if its just tendonitus the exercise will help it but you need to make sure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Hmm. I figured mine would have been gone long ago. I use to get some tendonitis in a wrist. Usually subsides in a week or two. This elbow has been an issue for as long as I can remember.

Maybe I better schedule an appointment with my doc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This stomach is like a iron kettle
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
how many times a week do you masturbate?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to get this when I played golf all the time. Something like this really did help.
And Aspercreme, believe it or not, worked well for it too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
how many times a week do you masturbate?
View Quote

Enough to have these issues it seems
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

This.

Yep, you are correct. It was cortisone. and the shots hurt like hell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I used to get this when I played golf all the time. Something like this really did help.
View Quote

I think that's exactly what that gal described at the chiropractors office.

Im about to go find one of those bastards after work
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

This.

Not for me. I did get 1 shot which was cortisone but also oral prednisone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

This.

If it would make the pain go away and everything worked fine again Id take those shots in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned how to use one of those self sticking ACE bandages to wrap the fuck out of my elbow before pullups, it was almost so tight it hurt, but it let me get through a workout without any of the pain I was feeling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Golfing?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If it would make the pain go away and everything worked fine again Id take those shots in a heartbeat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

This.

Predinose orally is like a wonder drug. I was on a it for a week once and I felt like Bradley Cooper in limitless. My brain wouldn't shut off, but at the same time I had a ton of focus. Pair that with the inflammation being gone after the first dose, and I was bouncing around like a super ball getting shit done.

After about a week of it I was done though, I could barely sleep, it was exhausting having so much energy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I learned how to use one of those self sticking ACE bandages to wrap the fuck out of my elbow before pullups, it was almost so tight it hurt, but it let me get through a workout without any of the pain I was feeling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even know how Ive inured this arm. I can only assume its from lifting something awkward and heavy at work.

Shooting is becoming more painful than its worth. Somethings gotta be fixed as I have too much money in shooting stuff to give that up .

The best way I can describe the pain is say I held a pistol outright in my right hand. That action with only a few pounds in my hand gives me a awful sharp pain

But if I keep it bent I don't really experience much pain
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Predinose orally is like a wonder drug. I was on a it for a week once and I felt like Bradley Cooper in limitless. My brain wouldn't shut off, but at the same time I had a ton of focus. Pair that with the inflammation being gone after the first dose, and I was bouncing around like a super ball getting shit done.

After about a week of it I was done though, I could barely sleep, it was exhausting having so much energy.
View Quote

Im gunna get into the doc next week. Sounds like by the replies I need to get on this pretty serious so I don't have issues down the road.

Ill most definitely mention it to him and see if I can give that wonder drug a try
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
its all about removing the inflamation with prednisone but dont stop taking it when the pain goes away take it all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.
View Quote

Prednisone is some nasty shit.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
So do you guys do anything differently after you finally do get it lined out?

Such as taking a few ibuprofen before doing a activity you think might piss it off?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ill give a look at what you suggested. The PT girl at the chiropractors office suggested some sort of small brace which I may also try. She said it just went above your elbow and it was small.

Ive never had something hurt for this extended amount of time before in my life. Its not fun

It definitely feels on the outside of it. Honestly its almost just forward of the elbow towards my wrist if we are being very technical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ibuprofen.
heat  (not ice)

find a massage therapist.  That seems to make the biggest difference.  (and be warned, it hurts when she is digging in there getting those muscles to loosen up.   They'll know what to do.

and seriously, try the theraband.  Everyone who's elbow's hurt (i.e. everyone) tries it and goes "wow")

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do you know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know

I've taken it and it Fucked me all up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

find a massage therapist.  That seems to make the biggest difference.  (and be warned, it hurts when she is digging in there getting those muscles to loosen up.   They'll know what to do.

and seriously, try the theraband.  Everyone who's elbow's hurt (i.e. everyone) tries it and goes "wow")

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ibuprofen.
heat  (not ice)

Ill give anything a shot at this point

The chiropractor place has massage therapists. Hopefully I get the inked up girl again. I had her for the first time Thursday. She asked me how much pressure I wanted. I told her to go all out

When she was done she went on about how I will need to ice my back later, don't use heat, and to drink a lot of water. She got up in there good
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know

How do you mean?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#40]
change up your jerking style and this will go away on its own.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ive perfected the stranger with my left hand. This issue still remains
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I got it real bad from golf and shooting 45 1911's in 2014. I had to wear a band for about 6 months and did almost no pistol shooting and no golf. I tried a couple and this worked the best Band it. Dr's just want to shoot it up with cortisone and I would advise against this. It will solve the inflammation quick, but it will make rebound and recurrence more frequent. Try taking alleve (naproxen) instead of ibuprofen.

I shoot 9mm now almost exclusively and do not golf very much and luckily I have not had a recurrence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How do you mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know

How do you mean?

I put on a lot of weight.

I developed a sleep disorder.

My memory started slipping (short and long term).

My eyesight was blurred (even with prescription glasses).

I developed a voracious appetite.

My coordination was was imbalanced.

BAD mood swings.

OP, I would avoid Prednisone and try some of the other suggestions others have mentioned in this thread.

I'm so glad that I'm off of that crap.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

BAD mood swings.

OP, I would avoid Prednisone and try some of the other suggestions others have mentioned in this thread.

View Quote

Damn!

Right on. Im gunna try and self mend hardcore for the next week. With the use of a brace and doing a few other things suggested. My hoping it would go away on its own isn't working. Its time to get aggressive about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got it real bad from golf and shooting 45 1911's in 2014. I had to wear a band for about 6 months and did almost no pistol shooting and no golf. I tried a couple and this worked the best Band it. Dr's just want to shoot it up with cortisone and I would advise against this. It will solve the inflammation quick, but it will make rebound and recurrence more frequent. Try taking alleve (naproxen) instead of ibuprofen.

I shoot 9mm now almost exclusively and do not golf very much and luckily I have not had a recurrence.
View Quote

Honestly this issue cropped up around the same time I put my 1911 down.

I think I have angered the 1911 Gods
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you should ask God for His forgiveness.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damn!

Right on. Im gunna try and self mend hardcore for the next week. With the use of a brace and doing a few other things suggested. My hoping it would go away on its own isn't working. Its time to get aggressive about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAD mood swings.

Damn!

Glad I could offer some advice.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How do you mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PREDNISONE.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know

How do you mean?

It can have some pretty interesting side effects in some people. Some people report depression or suicidal thoughts, others have had rashes, blotches or hives, I can't remember the rest, but the pamphlet I was given had a whole list of stuff to look out for.

Luckily for me it was just like a superman pill.

They are finding out that it isn't meant to be taken long term, and from what I've read the best way to take it is in medium to high doses in very short bursts.

Like after surgery they pump  you full of it for a week to stop inflammation from causing other damage.

In my case, I had an asthma attack that I couldn't shake, after the first pill I was breathing fine again, and she advised I take all 5 days to knock it completely out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Tell your doctor how much ibuprofen you are taking.

He or she will prescribe something less destructive to your kidneys.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tell your doctor how much ibuprofen you are taking.

He or she will prescribe something less destructive to your kidneys.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

To be clear I don't take it often. But when I do, I do it in high dosages .

But yes, something needs to change
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top