Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 7:28:46 PM EDT
he is saying I need to sign, boot camp is in January so I think I should give it some more thought no real reason to rush.

is he full of it and just wants me to sign?

or are there really situations where boot camp fills up?

dumb questions but I don't know anyone in the army.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What he might be trying to tell you is that the only way to guarantee a Jan date is to sign up now.  If you want to wait to sign, you will most likely go at a later date.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Many, many recruiters are full of SHIT. Do not believe a word he tells you unless it is written down, period. Recruiters get rated by how many recruits they get. Were I you I would go to another recruiter. It's possible they might tell you that you have to go the that particular guy because of your proximity to him, etc. but if you tell them "Screw you, I'm joining the Navy/Marines/Air Force they'll change their tune and let you go somewhere else. You can't be naive with recruiters. Anything they promise you is WORTHLESS unless it's written down. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the MOS you have chosen to enter. Combat MOSes go through OSUT (one station unit training), and since each training cycle has only a limited number of openings, and start only at certain times, it's possible for classes to fill up, forcing you to delay your entry until there's an opeining in a later class.

For example, when I went in, the time I had to wait for the earliest openings:

MOS 11B w/ airborne option: 12 weeks
MOS 19K: 8 months (the M1 was new then, and everybody and his fucking brother wanted to be a tanker)
MOS 19D: 3 weeks
MOS 13B (which is what I chose): This was on a friday, and I was a gone MFer on Monday [:D]

Keep in mind, though, that Army recruiters DO have a quota, and he WILL BS you, just to get you in. He has ZERO ability to promise anything. The guy you will talk to at MEPS, the career counselor, is who you get the REAL deal from, and it's HE who schedules everything, and it's HE who writes up the contract.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The Guard is allocated a limited # of slots in boot camp so I don't think the recruiter is pullin your string.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
This kind of hard sales pitch has been going on since the first marketplace in Ur 5,000 years ago...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If a Recruiter is [b]Talking[/b], they are [b]Lying[/b].
Lead with that Premise, and you won't go wrong.

That said, it likely is a case of scheduling re your MOS - what general field / camp?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to do infantry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The Guard is allocated a limited # of slots in boot camp so I don't think the recruiter is pullin your string--- i agree--but he does wount to sign up -good on his behalf..make sure you get what mos you wount before you sign up... they can do that
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds to me like his quarter is coming to an end at the end of this month and he hasn't made his quota yet.

If you aren't ready yet, just wait.  You will always have a chance to do it later.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]
If you wait to sign, you might ship a little later, that's all. With the guard, you can train with your unit while you wait to ship, or at least that's how it was when I was active.

Ignore the high pressure sales tactics, and don't sign until you're totally comfortable doing so.

Do you know how to tell when a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
good advice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Could he be pulling your chain just to fill this months/quarters quota? Sure he could. But he could also be telling you the truth. The NG only gets X amount of slots in Army schools and one of the NG priorities is to make sure they are all filled, otherwise next fiscal year they may lose those slots. Also, the state pays to send you to boot camp and follow on schools and if this recruiter doesnt fill the slot the stae may lose money next FY, so that may have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
BS.  Listen to these guys, NG recruiters are worse than AD.

If you want to go in Jan, sign now, his $ gets locked in up to october, bit the slot thing is accurate.  

What MOS?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
yes, its BS.  Everyday there are classes starting somewhere in the country.  Even for 11B.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top