Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 10:39:23 AM EDT
So I'm looking at a few Swiss Army watches, and I notice that 2 are exactly the same...except one is labeled "Automatic" and costs 2x as much.

What does that mean?  In the specs, the cheaper one says it's a "quartz movement", and the more expensive one says it's "automatic wind".

Help?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
no battery or winding needed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
no battery or winding needed.
View Quote

Does that mean it's a kinetic watch?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a self winding watch. Based on a jewel movement. I have a few automatics myself and I love them.  :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does that mean it's a kinetic watch?
View Quote

it depends. the automatics use kinetic energy, so in a sense, yes. but a true automatic is going to be fully mechanical. many of the modern "kinetic" watches (sieko, for example) convert the kinetic energy to electricity, store it, and then use it to power the movement.

is one "better" than the other? it depends on what you are looking for in the watch and what aspects of design, manufacturing, and tradition appeal to you. either is more than adequate for daily timekeeping, but the mechanicals are more involved internally and cost more as a result.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I also love automatics.  I've heard that they can be shock sensative though, so you shoulnd't wear it while shooting, jackhammering, etc.  Is that true?

Anyway, the Quartz movement will be cheaper over the long run (less servicing), but there's nothing like an automatic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top