Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 4:11:05 AM EDT
My dad bought 30 pounds of the stuff from Costco.  Minute I saw it I thought 2 things:

1.  That's about a lifetime's worth of honey, and my dad is 65 and lives alone.

2.  I can ferment that shit.

Anyone here ever brew a batch of mead?  I have all the equipment, have made wine from Welches concentrate.  Since I have so much freaking honey at my disposal, I'm thinking 5-6 gallons of mead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
My inlaws are apiaries. They have about 80 hives and gather in the neighborhood of 100-150 lbs of honey per hive a year. They regularly make honey meade.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

need 10-15 lbs of honey for 5 gallons.

Boil the mead in water, let it cool, dump it in your fermenter, dump in yeast, wait 3 months til it stops fermenting (this is the important part, you have to wait til it stops all fermetation), bottle it up, let it age another 6 months or more, you are done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
4 tons of honey?  JEEEZE!  That's a lot of bee barf!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Recipe:

Mead (Honey Wine) - 5 gallon recipe

8-10   lbs pure raw honey     (for light, delicate Mead)
  (or) 12-13   "    "    "    "       (for medium sweet Mead)
  (or) 15-16   "    "    "    "       (for very sweet or alcoholic Mead)
4-5    gallons purified spring water  (not distilled)
3      tsp. yeast nutrient    (or 5 tablets)
1      tsp. acid blend        (combination malic/citric acid)
5-7     oz. sliced fresh ginger root  (1 finger's length)
1/4     tsp. fresh rosemary    (optional, as desired)
5-6     whole cloves           (optional, as desired)
1-2     vanilla beans          (optional, as desired)
       cinnamon/nutmeg        (optional, as desired)
       lime/orange peels      (optional, as desired)
       crushed fruit          (peaches, strawberries, grapes, etc.)
1      tsp. Irish Moss        (to clarify Mead)
1/2    tsp. clear gelatin     (to clarify Mead)
1      spotted newt's tail    (optional, as desired :)
1      packet yeast           (champagne or ale yeast)

Heat spring water 10-15 minutes till boiling. Stir in honey, yeast nutrients, acid blend, and spices (rosemary, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon peel). Boil for another 10-15 minutes, (overcooking removes too much honey flavor), skimming off foam as needed (2 to 3 times during last 15 minutes). After 15 minutes, add Irish Moss or clear gelatin to clarify. After last skimming, turn off heat, add crushed fruit, and let steep 15-30 minutes while allowing mead to cool and clarify. After mead begins to clear, strain off fruit with hand skimmer and pour mead through strainer funnel into 5 gallon glass carboy jug.
Let cool to room temperature about 24 hours. After 24 hours, warm up 1 cup of mead in microwave, stir in 1 packet "Red Star" Champagne, Montrechet, or Epernet yeast (or Ale yeast in order to make mead ale), and let sit for 5-15 minutes to allow yeast to begin to work. Add this mead/yeast mixture to carboy jug and swirl around to aerate, thereby adding oxygen to mead/yeast mixture.

Place run-off tube in stopper of bottle, with other end of tube in large bowl or bottle to capture "blow-off" froth. Let mead sit undisturbed 7 days in cool, dark area. After initial violent fermenting slows down and mead begins to settle, rack off (siphon off) good mead into clean sterilized jug, leaving all sediment in bottom of first jug. Attach airlock to this secondary carboy. After 4-6 months, mead will clear. During this time, if more sediment forms on bottom, good mead can be racked off again to another clean sterilized jug.

View Quote

You can skip all the fruit/herb/spices junk.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
be sure he tries some before he makes a bunch.  you can make it sweet or dry but either is an acquired taste!  like a hurricane.  and when i get hung over on the stuff i don't want to look at it for 6 months!  

come to think of it...
it's about time to buy a bottle sit down, get drunk and watch the 13th warrior.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You will need to add some yeast nutrients.  Also you need to let it age for a long time (over a year) or so I've heard.  My first batch is still sitting in the carboy.  I'm trying to determine if adding campden tablets before bottling would be a good or bad idea.  Once I make that decision, it's getting bottled.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I just called my mother-in-law. This is the recipe she gave me:

2 lbs raw honey
1 Gallon of pure spring water
2 each of cloves (whole), cinnamon sticks, allspice (whole)
1 nutmeg
a few raisins
1/2 tsp. finely chopped orange or lemon rind
1 pkg Montechet yeast (DO NOT USE BREAD YEAST)

Put spices in cheesecloth and tie off. Boil water & spices in NON-Alum. Pan for about 20 min. Remove spice bag. Reduce to simmer.

Add honey but do not let boil. Use a NEW plastic or wooden spoon to stir. Do not use the spoon for anything else as it will pick up oils that will kill the yeast. As the honey melts, you will see a foamy scum appear. Remove as much of this scum as possible. It is really wax left in the honey and it interferes with the yeasting. Skim every 5-10 minutes, but do not raise the temperature. It will take at least an hour or more to remove all the wax foam. After it is all gone, remove from heat, cover, and let stand on the back of the stove until the liquid reaches room temperature. Then add the whole package of yeast. Let stand for 3 days. Siphon into old, clean wine bottles and cork. Store with the neck tilted at an upward angle, turning the bottles 1/2 turn daily. Give it six months.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks BenDover.  I've got everything (including the Montrachet yeast) except the spices.  I'll use your motherinlaw's recipe, plus the yeast nutrients.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top