Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:53:29 PM EDT
This worldnet daily article will link you to a petition with over 10,000 signatures!  This could really happen!!

[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33080[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Done.  That would be great.  Something else for me to spend my non-existant $$ on.

Oh well, I can dream.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance of getting this tacked???
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good, but does anyone really listes or take the signatures from these online petitions for real?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Me!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
With no name verification or address required the validity of the petition is negated.  But still I wonder if writing directly to our legislators would have an effect?  It wouldn't hurt to try.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This worldnet daily article will link you to a petition with over 10,000 signatures!  This could really happen!!

[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33080[/url]
View Quote

Not to blow negative vibes, but I think it's unlikely which is quite sad when I think of all beautiful weapons that are going to be torched.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
This is pretty old news.  From the M14 board,
--------------------------------------
Read the article with a critical eye and you'll find that this whole
campaign is half-baked.  CMP is no longer a military program, it's a
corporation and it's profits stay in house to promote shooting sports.
I'm
not sure how the CMP acquires rifles, but I expect that they don't BUY
them
from the military, but rather receive obsolete equipment for
disposition.
So how does the money get to the government?  It doesn't.  So
discussions
about opening up a revenue stream are garbage.  Additionally, the idea
of
the government passing M14's (no matter what their modifications) is
going
to enrage the Feinsteins and Schumers and they will put the measure
through
incredible hurdles before it can actually go through.  So before the
thing
even passes, millions upon millions of dollars will have been spent to
legislate and litigate the program, test to ensure that modified rifles
cannot be quickly restored to full-auto capability, etc.  Frankly, the
idea
of such a project returning much of any revenue to the Federal coffers
is
laughable.

I'd love to see surplus M14's released to civilian shooters rather than
wasted, but trying to justify it this way does NOT improve our (gun
owners)
credibility as responsible, intelligent, and honest people.  This
proposal
is irresponsibly researched, poorly thought out, and intellectually
dishonest. In fact, it is blatantly political, and thus utterly
discountable.

Sorry to be so critical of this, but supporting garbage does us no good
as a
group.

Andrew Priestley
------------------------------------------------

Andrew is correct, this article is waaay out of date.

This "petition" originated about ten years ago, pre-CMP.  Fred's would
send out the "campaign" with your shipping documents when you purchased
from them.  

The CMP does not pay for their rifles pre se, but they do pay a hefty
"handling charge."  The monies are used to support marksmanship of many
kinds, & gun ownership thereby.

Few M14s remain in inventory.  Besides the destruction program initiated
by the Clinton administration, the Gov't has given tens of thousands of
M14s to our allies such as Lithuania and Kosovo.  There is a looming
shortage of M14s for the new roles envisioned for 7.62-MM rifles, which
is why new 7.62-MM rifles will be under development.

Very best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Done....10,106

Tom
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
If they sold all 300,000 for $1000 each....that's $300m.  As opposed to the cost of destroying those guns, lets say a couple thousand bucks.  Bring in 300 mil, or spend a few thousand.  A no-brainer in my eyes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Repeat:  This is bunk.  This is the kind of stuff that gives WND a bad name.

The petition refers to the DCM selling M1 Garands for a hundred bucks each.  That is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, folks.

The WND daily article mixes up DCM and CMP - does the writer have a clue about the programs?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#13]
There aren't anywhere near 300,000 M14's left in the U.S. inventory.  Most were given away to other countries by the Clinton administration.

That aside, I don't see much of an advantage to owning one.  The M14's my department got from the feds were not all that impressive.  Nice enough guns, but the one Fulton Armory built me on a SA receiver is MUCH tighter and better built.  The GI guns were  a mishmash of parts and very loose.  Not that I didn't take them over a .223 on any outdoor mission we had, but I don't think they're worth all the trouble.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:53:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There aren't anywhere near 300,000 M14's left in the U.S. inventory.  Most were given away to other countries by the Clinton administration.

That aside, I don't see much of an advantage to owning one.  The M14's my department got from the feds were not all that impressive.  Nice enough guns, but the one Fulton Armory built me on a SA receiver is MUCH tighter and better built.  The GI guns were  a mishmash of parts and very loose.  Not that I didn't take them over a .223 on any outdoor mission we had, but I don't think they're worth all the trouble.
View Quote

The ones we got were arsenal rebuilds circa about 74 before being put in storage, and came to us as essentially new rifles, with new barrels, fresh Parkerization, and all of the parts fitting tightly with no wear. The all shot pretty accurately; when we zeroed them from sanbags and confirmed at 100 yeard, the average group was about 3", with one Winchester shooting 1" groups. My only complaints are that they came with only 1 magazine, and the stocks, while new, were tacky from being in shrink-wrap plastic for almost 20 years and for $19 each (what my Department paid) you can't beat them. We even managed to get some FREE bipods for them, by religously hunting for parts on the DRMO website.

I don't think it is realistic to expect CMP to come up with an ATFE-approved M14 demil program and resell these, but it would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd give My left nut to own a real M14.
CMP will never sell USGI M14's.
Dream on...

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd give My left nut to own a real M14.
CMP will never sell USGI M14's.
Dream on...

View Quote

Roger that...

I signed this petition a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I've posted on this before and I'll do it again:

Anyone who signed this petition just shot us in the foot.

Why?

Because submitting such poorly researched, and badly crafted proposals to the government makes all gun owners look like ignorant red-necks.

see Pogo's reposting of an earlier posting by me on another board.  (I'm Andrew Priestley).

If you want to get in on a petition to make M14's available to civilians, fine.  If someone would come up with a well researched, well ordered and properly crafted one, I'd sign it.  But this piece of garbage is utter crap and is potentially very damaging to gun rights. It's so out of date and so full of factual errors that it makes us look like complete morons at best and irresponsible, sloppy and dishonest hustlers at worst.  

The antis and the envirofreaks can get away with this sort of sloppy thinking because their proposals are emotionally appealling to the soccer moms and couch potato moderates, but we cannot.  When we make a proposal we better make damned sure that all the "i's" are dotted and all the "t's" crossed, that all our facts are straight and our arguments are supported by incontrovertible fact, anything less gives Congress, the anti's and the courts ammunition to use against us.

Don't let your pro-gun enthusiasm overwhelm your common sense and intelligence.

This sort of "reporting" is what makes "Worldnet News Daily" such an utterly useless piece of electronic trash, even when they are right.  Their sloppy standards reduce their credibility to rubble.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess I should have read it more closely.  I see what you guys are talking about.  Boy I'd love it if it were possible though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top