Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 10:51:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My son will attend BC this coming Fall, so our family will take a trip up there for orientation on 6/16-6/20. Anyone has any advices
as far as what reasonable hotel to stay, where to go around, what and where to avoid. Should we rent a car?  Thanks in advance for the advices.

------------------

Mojo,
    Can't say that I'm too familiar with many of the hotels in Boston.  You're probably better off costwise and safetywise staying in one of the suburbs of Boston like Quincy and Braintree to the south of Boston.  In fact there's a Motel 6 in the town of Braintree that is literally across the street from the Braintree MBTA (subway) station.  You can use the subway to get from there into Boston.  If going into Boston, avoid the Roxbury and Dorchester sections.  If you have some means to carry legally in Massachusetts, then be advised that Boston has their own law prohibiting the carrying of hi-capacity magazines and spare mags as well.  So, if carrying, 10 rds or less in a 10-rd mag (no 15-rd mags with just 10 rds in them) and no backup mags.  If you have any further questions about the area feel free to e-mail me as I'm a Mass-resident and work just north of Boston.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There's plenty o' hotels around BC. There'd really be no need to leave the city to stay elswhere. I'd stay away from the car because the public tranportation is great in Boston but the parking is usually a nightmare. Boston loves flexing it's parking enforcement arm anytime, day, night, Sundays. We tried parking near BC when my brother graduated. We had a long walk.

If cost is a factor, you may want to take Xero's advice and look outside the city for a hotel tho'.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
DEFINITELY do not drive in Boston. Unless your life has too little frustration in it.

Boston streets have been under continuous construction since 1791.

personally, I would stay at a hotel about 30 mi ut of the city, drive to a train station (known as the "T") and ride the "T" into Boston.

Or ride the bus. Bus drivers take chances you would NEVER take in your car, but of course, they are driving a company vehicle that is bigger than most of its competition.

Congrats on your kid getting into BC. Since you WILL be selling your guns to afford his tuition, e-mail me a list, and I'll make you an offer you can't (or should I say - "Your wife won't let you") refuse.

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mojo, I am a presently a junior at Boston University right down the street from BC.  The parking up at BC isn't that bad, it gets crappy down town.  Definately DO NOT stay 30 minutes outside of the city and take the comuter rail; you will hate life, I promise.  I don't know what you're looking to spend for a room, but there is a HOJO in Kenmore Square and another over in Cambridge.  Both are about the same distance from BC.  However, I think the HOJO in Cambridge has more parking.  Whatever you chose it is imperative to make reservations ASAP b/c everyone will be doing the same thing you are for all the schools in the area.  Just so you know, the prices for a room in the city are a little steep.  If you have any more questions please feel free to email me, as I have been through the motions here in Boston.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Garandman, Thanks.  My son gets scholarship from BC, and BC pays about 70% of the total amount. He will have to take some loans and some work study. He is OK with it because that what he wants. We will pitch in some when he needs it. I guess he is kinda like me.  After graduating from opt. school, I owed about 70,000.00.  But these loans were paid for after
my 6th year out. I guess the T is it.

------------------------

Adaptability is the key to survival!!
View Quote

One of the best things my parents ever did for me was REQUIRE me to work my way thru college (not that we had a choice financially [:D])

It forced me to focus, schedule my time, and gave me a glimpse of the REAL world, where you seldom have the option of focusing on ONLY one priority.

Make sure you take advantage of Boston. The Boston Museum of Science is a must see. Also, the Farmers Market, Lexington, Concord, Bunker Hill. That is where this whole thing got started. Its the birthplace of freedom, baby. You can almost feel the courage and patriotism of Sam, tom, George and Ben. Ohhh, baby, its good stuff.

If time is limited, that's OK. You'll get to go to Boston lots with your kid there. I hate the city, but as cities go, its one of my favorties.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Mojo, I just re-read your post.  You talked about renting a car, so I'm assuming you are flying into to Logan, or taking a train into Boston.  If you don't want to rent a car, then stay at the HOJO in Kenmore Square.  There is a "Boston College" Green Line trolly stop right out side the Kenmore HOJO.  It takes about 15 minutes to get from Kenmore Square to BC by T.  Also, Fenway Park is a five minute walk from Kemore.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear your news.
Boston is one place you don't want to have to drive through.  Especially in the morning and from 3 to 8pm at night.
I live in NH and hear the traffic report every day(most radio stations and all TV comes from Mass).
People in Mass are crazy Massholes that CAN'T drive!!!!!!

Be careful!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
For information on the "T" go to            [url]http://www.mbta.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top