Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 3:44:58 PM EDT
I went to the dentist expecting to have one wisdom tooth pulled based on our previous discussion.  When I got in the chair the dentist said I'll start on the left side.  I gave the dentist a strange look and said what do you mean the left side?  The one tooth I thought was being pulled was on the right.  She said that she thought we were going to extract all the wisdom teeth.  I wasn't expecting that but I said go ahead as I really didn't want to repeat the process again.  She asked if I wanted the happy gas and I decided to try it as people said it makes things easier.  A couple minutes after the gas started my whole body started to tingle and I felt a head rush coming on.  Everything seemed to run in slow motion.

The left side of my mouth was numbed first with a topical and then three shots.  As she was working on the first tooth she wiggled and pulled and I heard a loud crack.  I thought she had it out but then she went back in and grabbed a hold of it and started pulling again.  With a small pop the tooth or the rest of the tooth came out.  I'm not sure what the crack was I think she only got part of it the first time.

Then she went to work on the second tooth.  She started pulling on it and I could feel pain shooting into my jaw.  So I get another shot.  After a few minute wait she starts back to work.  The pulling moves my entire jaw, the next thing I know I hear a very loud pop which seemed to startle the dentist.  She looks at her assistant and said "did we get all of it".  Thankfully they got all of it this time.  

Then we finally get to the third tooth, the one I thought was going to be pulled.  The right side wasn't numbed up, so they give me a topical and two shots.  The dentist then goes and works on another patient who needed a cavity filled.  As I'm sitting in the chair, floating in la la land due to the happy gas I hear her grinding away on this poor guys tooth.  Happy gas combined with a drill behind you will make you think some wild things!  Time goes on and on during which I had some very interesting things float through my head.  Twenty minutes after they shot up the right side the dentist returns.  She starts to work but then stops and calls over a second assistant.  She starts pulling on the tooth and a mild amount of pain started shooting through my jaw.  My flinching must have given it away as she stopped and gave me a third shot on the right side.  She commented that I needed more novacain then expected.  The novacain started to kick in and my entire lower jaw and tounge went completely numb.  I didn't care though, the gas was doing wonders.  Finally the third tooth pops out.  

They switch off the gas but I was still pretty much in la la land, two gauze patches were stuck in my mouth and then dentist starts explaining the medication to me.  She is asking if I understand but with my numb mouth, gauze patches, and happy gas I have no idea if I even answered.  It was after 5pm and I think they wanted to go home.  A couple minutes later I'm out the door.  I swear I was still high off the gas.  It was down pouring rain but I didn't care.  I got in my truck and sat there noticing that I still had very interesting thoughts going through my mind.  I gave myself a couple more minutes and then headed for home.

It's now three hours later and my entire mouth is still numb.  Which is probably a good thing because I haven't taken any pain meds yet.  At least I don't have any more wisdom teeth to get pulled.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, they were extremely negligent in letting you go while you were still under the influence of NO2.  You could have wrecked and killed yourself and others.

All that aside, its been many years since I had the happy gas and my memory is that it didn't really kill pain, but you didn't care.  Fun stuff.

My wisdom teeth came out easier than most.  All four were out of the gums and he just stuck a groove awl between the wisdom tooth and the molar next to it, twisted the awl and out popped the wisdom tooth.  Took me all of 15 minutes to pull all 4.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you see any Smurfs in la la land?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
TAKE THE PAIN MEDS NOW, before the Novicaine wears off, cuz it will hurt like crazy. Especially if they were breaking teeth apart to extract them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Aw man! What kinda surprise is that…? I thought maybe you where going to tell us what you got out of the ‘Treasure Box’... cause you opened your mouth really wide and got to go!

Wimmins dentist rule!!! They are a little more gentile then men I think! I had a root canal, and it was a woman…. She did a great job, comforting me, rubbing my cheek as she gave me the shots to numb my gums, and her assistant even rubbed her titties on me a few times! [naughty]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO2 has zero effects just a few seconds after you quit exposure.  If you were feeling weird it was from other causes.  They probably should not have let you drive though.  As far as I know novacaine does not affect the brain but if you had a bunch who knows.
View Quote

Something had a definate effect on me.  After I got out of the chair I still seemed to feel slow and sluggish, which is what I felt when they started giving me the NO2.  I do know that when the first tooth came out my entire faced seemed to warm up and get flush.  It was as if my body knew something bad had just happend to it and it kicked into high gear.  Of course that could have just been the effects of the gas too.

I didn't see any Smurfs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, when I had all of my wisdom teeth out, they knocked my ass completely out. It was the best buzz I ever had.

"10... 9...  .... WHA HOPND?"

Actually, I was hitting on the hot nurse with huge tits while I was drifting out, and I remembered those knockers as I was coming to. Of course, I was like 14 at the time... [:(]

I cannot believe they turned you loose.

Don't drink through a straw.

Dry sockets are a flaming bitch... so follow their instructions. Rotting food particles in the cavern will give you one hell of an infection.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
SWIRE
Unless you have had a wisdom tooth pulled already or I missed something you still have or will have one more wisdom tooth to go, I just thought I would bring that to your attention, LOL
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wimmins dentist rule!!! They are a little more gentile then men I think! I had a root canal, and it was a woman…. She did a great job, comforting me, rubbing my cheek as she gave me the shots to numb my gums, and her assistant even rubbed her titties on me a few times! [naughty]
View Quote

My father-in-law recounts that he once went to a dentist whose assistant was rather heavily boob-laden. Says that this buxom lady had his chair leaned back far enough that the back of his head rested on her chest and that he declined the anesthetic so as to not spoil the experience. Allegedly better than N02!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SWIRE
Unless you have had a wisdom tooth pulled already or I missed something you still have or will have one more wisdom tooth to go, I just thought I would bring that to your attention, LOL
View Quote

Nope I haven't lost my mind, yet.  I had one pulled out years ago.  I'm hoping for a fast recovery as I go on vacation in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope you enjoy soup. Thats all that I could eat for about 3 days when I had my upper 2nd molars pulled. Same drill a couple years later when I had my lower wisdom teeth pulled. My father was a dentist before he retired and he pulled em real good. I don't have any idea what the "pop" or "crack" sound was that you refer to but it don't sound right. I hope all is well.

As for women dentists Dru, my new former dentist is a woman and she SUCKS!! She is hot as hell but that isn't enough to offset her incompetance. While giving me a cleaning, she was yanking on all sorts of shit. I floss daily and have very healthy gums, but after her cleaning a couple weeks ago, my gums are still sensitive. She also pulled two inlays clean out of my teeth that were perfectly fine until she came along. Which is why she is my former dentist. I'm glad you like your woman dentist though. I would love to rub her titties and a few of her other unmentionalbes, but after her dental work I'm skeptical of her "other" work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now I'm feeling great.  The feeling has come back to my entire mouth.  I took my pain meds about an hour ago, Lortabs is what I was told they were.  Supposed to make me real sleepy but I'm awake right now.  I took a short nap after taking the pain meds and woke up in about 30 minutes like I have been when I get home.  I'm thinking of actually trying to eat something soft right now.  The dentist did say that everything went really well, so I'm hoping for a fast recovery.

I had a female assistant clean my teeth last week.  As soon as she started working on my teeth she goes "woops I'm a little shaky my blood suger is a little off right now".  [shock]  But after that she did a good job.

Now for a question.  Is it wrong to hit on the receptionist at the dentist office?  The one is really cute but she doesn't talk much.  The pharmacist was extreamly cute too but with half my mouth numb, the gauze packs, and the swelling all I could do was mumble.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll be glad it's behind you.  Sounds a little squirrelly waiting to inform you to pull all of them once you're in the chair and then leaving you to your own vices after the gas.

I just had my two remaining wisdom teeth extracted a week ago, however, just like the one last year, I went to an oral surgeon to be put under.  Both teeth were impacted pretty bad, and I KNOW the NO2 is the worst shit in the world!  It makes me feel horrible and does nothing but make you feel helpless.  As far as I'm concerned general anesthesia is the only way to go.  My surgeon was top-notch with a great staff and excellent service.

Now for the babes in dentist land.  Our former family dentist (who died last year at 51 from an MI) was great!  He always had hotter than hell chicks working in his office.  I couldn't get over how hot these woman were.  I miss going there!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn...the wonders of modern dentistry.  During my discharge physical from the Marine Corps  the navy dentist told me that all 4 of my wisdom teeth would eventually need to come out and that if he were in private practice "he wouldn't touch my mouth for less than $2,000". (Mucho money in 1978) He tells me that he can do all 4 right now and I don't even have to get out of the chair. Well being the big bad Sgt of Marines I sez to the young shave tail "sure have at it". Long story short, I got the local shots, not the good stuff and he got what may have been his first real experience cutting out wisdom teeth. I'm wide damn awake and he slices open each gum, digs down to the tooth, drills a hole or holes in each tooth, puts in some kind of tool that he twists to expand and break it into pieces. Then he sticks in a pair of pliers and starts to yank out the pieces.  He pulls like hell and I pull back like hell trying to keep my head on the chair headrest to help out. The whole time I hear this cracking and popping noise and my toes are cramping up inside my boots cause I'm curling them up the whole time without realizing it. I remember thinking at the time I KNOW this f**king squid is getting his rocks off digging in my head so no way in hell am I gonna let him hear me whine. I just gutted it out somehow. Shit, makes me sweat now just thinking about. The worst of it was that after it's over I remember that we had a CG coming up in the next day or two so I actually had to work the rest of that day and all of the next before I could get any time off. Oh what I'd give to be that young again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Last time I went to the dentist he told me "eventually" I'd have to get mine pulled. Can anybody tell me what supposed to happen that's gonna make me *have to* get them pulled? They don't hurt or anything.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As for women dentists Dru, my new former dentist is a woman and she SUCKS!! She is hot as hell but that isn't enough to offset her incompetance. While giving me a cleaning, she was yanking on all sorts of shit. I floss daily and have very healthy gums, but after her cleaning a couple weeks ago, my gums are still sensitive. She also pulled two inlays clean out of my teeth that were perfectly fine until she came along. Which is why she is my former dentist. I'm glad you like your woman dentist though. I would love to rub her titties and a few of her other unmentionalbes, but after her dental work I'm skeptical of her "other" work.
View Quote

Well....... You are from Cali..... Are you sure 'She' is a 'She' and not a 'He'?[;D]

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
If lucky nothing happens, most of the time though they end up impacting your other teeth and that causes problems.  Mine didn't impact.  I got a crown on one now though, that wasn't fun.  Until I turned 40 every Dentist offered to take care of the wisdom teeth for me, since then they have not twisted or impacted.  Current Dentist and my family claims it's due to my big mouth.  Geez using the next tooth for a fulcrum sounds like a guaranteed way to crack the enamel on that tooth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Right now I'm feeling great.  The feeling has come back to my entire mouth.  I took my pain meds about an hour ago, Lortabs is what I was told they were.  Supposed to make me real sleepy but I'm awake right now.  I took a short nap after taking the pain meds and woke up in about 30 minutes like I have been when I get home.  I'm thinking of actually trying to eat something soft right now.  The dentist did say that everything went really well, so I'm hoping for a fast recovery.

I had a female assistant clean my teeth last week.  As soon as she started working on my teeth she goes "woops I'm a little shaky my blood suger is a little off right now".  [shock]  But after that she did a good job.

Now for a question.  Is it wrong to hit on the receptionist at the dentist office?  The one is really cute but she doesn't talk much.  The pharmacist was extreamly cute too but with half my mouth numb, the gauze packs, and the swelling all I could do was mumble.

View Quote

I had Lortab-5 after I broke my kneecap in April--good stuff, really good at killing pain, and it didn't knock me out either.  Be advised, they also have three other side effects after being on them a couple of days--the runs, hot flashes and insomnia. I'd be sitting on the couch at 3am, watching an infomercial when suddenly I'd be so drenched in sweat you'd think I just got out of the shower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you had a fun experience.  I was completely knocked out when they removed mine, and after reading this thread I'm glad I was!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
for braces, I had 6 teeth removed, the 4 wisdom teeth, and 2 others for space.  Just glad I was knocked out for it.  

Afterwards, there wasn't much pain, and I didn't use the Tylonol/codeine #3.  

Mental note: Is Tynonol/codeine still used?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had Lortab-5 after I broke my kneecap in April--good stuff, really good at killing pain, and it didn't knock me out either.  Be advised, they also have three other side effects after being on them a couple of days--the runs, hot flashes and insomnia. I'd be sitting on the couch at 3am, watching an infomercial when suddenly I'd be so drenched in sweat you'd think I just got out of the shower.
View Quote

Hmmm, that might explain why I'm still wide awake.  What I got were the Lortab 7.5.  I'm not sure what the different ratings actually mean.  I won't be watching any infomercials as I don't have a TV yet.  But I can hook my VCR up to my camcorder and hook that up to my computer if I get really desperate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm, that might explain why I'm still wide awake.  What I got were the Lortab 7.5.  I'm not sure what the different ratings actually mean.  I won't be watching any infomercials as I don't have a TV yet.  But I can hook my VCR up to my camcorder and hook that up to my computer if I get really desperate.
View Quote

The number indicates the amount of the medicine--can't remember if it's grams or milligrams, but you've got a higher doseage of Lortab than I did.  Good stuff!  Wash one down with a shot of Jack Daniels and see what happens!*

*[size=1]legal disclaimer--intended as humor only.  Not responsible for visions of 6-foot cucumbers and dancing purple elves that may result.[/size=1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I actually had 5 (that's right...5) wisdom teeth pulled at one shot. No Nitro...just lots and lots of novicaine. I think 5 shots on the right and three on the left.
I remember feeling like a sack of #4 bird shot when I got out of the chair. All heavy and sluggish. I think the shots got to my brain as well as my jaw.

A few days of packing gauze in the sockets and not drinking from a straw and all that good stuff, and I was fine
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
N02 is the only reason I didnt mind going to the dentist!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top