Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 1:43:55 PM EDT
First Ari Flischer now this? And its effective at the end of THIS week-even Flischer is staying for another month or so. And she was supposedly one of the TOP canidates to replace Flischer at the White House.

WASHINGTON (June 16) - Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke has resigned, effective Friday, the Defense Department announced Monday.

For personal reasons, Clarke is leaving the position of assistant secretary for public affairs, the department said in a press release. She has held the job for two years, arriving the summer before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center.

''I depart sadly because this has been the best professional experience of my life,'' she said in a press release. ''It has been a true honor working for the men and women of the U.S. military.''

Lawrence DiRita, special assistant to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, will do her job until a permanent replacement is confirmed.

In the press release, Rumsfeld called Clarke ''a gifted communicator,'' praising her office for its efforts ''to tell the story of our fighting force and bring their courage, dedication and professionalism into sharp focus for all Americans.''

AP-NY-06-16-03 0924EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
View Quote

Why all these people bailing?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, it seems with all of these resignations that they are being "asked" to resign.  So, probably gearing up for the election and have some plans and strategy changes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a hint:

[url]http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=usa&q=wmd+lies[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps, they just can't come out and lie to us anymore....OR, rats fleeing the ship, they know something big is gonna break.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The next election cycle is gearing up. This is the last, best chance for anyone to resign. Once the campaign is underway it would be expected that they stay through the election.

Jobs like that are fantastially stressful and time-consuming. As I recall she had three kids at home.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
first, if she is gonna take over ari's job, she would have to resign from her pentagon post first
second, many have said she is gonna be playing a big part in Bush's re-election campaign, she might want a much needed break before all that madness starts
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a hint:

[url]http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=usa&q=wmd+lies[/url]
View Quote

[sleep]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If she was going to take over Ari's job, wouldn't they just say so.
Ditto if she was going to work on the campaign.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
who? call me level-headed, but I've never heard of the woman, and I doubt her resignation is indicative of people "bailing out" of the Bush administration, thus implying some huge conspiracy/problem/nonsense
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps, they just can't come out and lie to us anymore....OR, rats fleeing the ship, they know something big is gonna break.
View Quote

Or maybe you're exaggerating and hyperbolizing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
They are finding out Bush lied about the WMD thing, they have to much integrity to stay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing to do with WMD.
FNC just reported that she, Victoria Clark, is resigning to join President Bush's campaign election for '04.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are finding out Bush lied about the WMD thing, they have to much integrity to stay.
View Quote

What color is the sky on your fantasy world?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
at the very least, in this administration, they have that option of resigning or leaving office -[b]ALIVE![/b]

as opposed to the previous one, where they just mysteriously [b]die.[/b]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Y'all realize that the existance of WMDs was never an issue. What to do about it was. It would be nice, politically, for Bush to find them. I couldn't care less one way or another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top