Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 1:24:27 PM EDT
I just received a message allegedly from "[email protected]" titled "billing issues", which states that my account information needs to be updated or they'll shut the account down later this month.   A link to a page is provided, and that page, rather than start with paypal.com,  starts with an IP address.    To be exact, it takes you here:   [url]http://216.25.72.237/.paypalCGIdll/index.html[/url]

The problem is that all of PayPal's sites start with paypal's name, to begin with, and also, they'll never send you an email that directs you to a page like this.    This page simply doesn't exist in the real PayPal website.

It's a scam.  A fraud.   Felony fraud in progress.   Don't respond.    

This isn't a NEW scam,  but it seems to be makign the rounds again.  

You've been warned,  so don't fall for it.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The url should read "https://www.paypal.com" Note the "s" at the end of "http". This should appear anytime you log on or are trying to log on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
To verify that, please post your full name, DOB, DLN, SSN, bank account number, your mother's maiden name, and your last 12 addresses here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
how much money am I supposed to send them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You should also be smart enough not to click that link, if you do and you have an open port and you keep any important info in your computer you can kiss it good bye.
Thats the easiest way to get hacked.
Don't believe me?
Post your IP you are on right this minute and I will ping your computer and "tac-in" to your system ,firewall or not,I will piggy back right into your computer.
Of course I wouldn't do that because it's a felony , LOL
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Got that one yesterday too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm having fun seeing how many different sets of bogus info I can put in their database.

:-)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To verify that, please post your full name, DOB, DLN, SSN, bank account number, your mother's maiden name, and your last 12 addresses here.
View Quote

You forgot the location of his gun safe and the combo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how much money am I supposed to send them?
View Quote

You don't have to send money; it is all automatic once you fill in the form.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
[lolabove]

CJ
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The same thing is happening to Earthlink customers.  They're getting an email from "[email protected]" saying almost the exact same thing.

There's been a rash of phishers lately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Any LEO's here willing to take this one up?
This kind of shit just pisses me off. Not like i'd ever respond to BS like that (PPL Sucks anyways, anti-gun fachists), but I know alot of people really would respond to that kind of stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top