Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 10:23:29 AM EDT
Why is it no radio stations play music in the morning?  For some reason, every freakin station has to have some kind of "Morning Crew" or "Wakeup Show" or whatever.  It usually consists of one or two guys who think they're cool, plus a chick who laughs at all their stupid jokes.  Then they all blab on and on together about some stupid crap and we're supposed to listen to their conversations and be "entertained".  Sounds more like overhearing some conversation between some idiots at the store or something.  Also popular are the sound effects added to make the guys voice sound deeper like he's "badass" ooohh!!  Then once in a while they take a call and make fun of the caller.  RRRR!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If they replaced some of those shows with nothing but a laugh track that ran for 3 hours, I don't think anyone would know the difference.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That's entertainment!

I have not listened to FM radio in years for that very reason.  It's AM all day for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
i listen to john boy & billy....stupid trailer trash humor that i can relate to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.dilbert.com/comics/drabble/archive/images/drabble21219580030616.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why is it no radio stations play music in the morning?  For some reason, every freakin station has to have some kind of "Morning Crew" or "Wakeup Show" or whatever.  It usually consists of one or two guys who think they're cool, plus a chick who laughs at all their stupid jokes.  Then they all blab on and on together about some stupid crap and we're supposed to listen to their conversations and be "entertained".  Sounds more like overhearing some conversation between some idiots at the store or something.  Also popular are the sound effects added to make the guys voice sound deeper like he's "badass" ooohh!!  Then once in a while they take a call and make fun of the caller.  RRRR!!!
View Quote

Kudos to you, SNorman, for I could not have said it any better. I have been complaining about this for years especially when I lived in los angeles and had to drive the hour and a 15 minutes drive (without traffic its only 20 minutes) and where you are in a kind of a parking lot situation the whole way there and all you want is some music to make it a bit easier but instead you get these aholes that feel the need to constantly blabber. I always find myself pounding on the staring wheel and screaming to just play some fucking music.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
But you guys _do_ know that for as little as 75 bucks, you can get a car radio that plays mp3 CDs, don't you?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You hit the nail on the head with that one.  Every station now has these jerks who do nothing but blab about worthless crap and play no music at all.  I listen to almost all AM in the mornings
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank Clear Channel for that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But you guys _do_ know that for as little as 75 bucks, you can get a car radio that plays mp3 CDs, don't you?
View Quote

I recently got one of these because I had 60 cds stolen out of my car.  So I turned 400 of my cds into mp3s and put them on cd-rs.  The best part with stereos that play mp3 files is that you can burn them as datafiles, so you can put like 10 full albums that are near cd quality onto on cd-r.

I recently burned a compilation with some of my favorite songs, it was 110 songs and 7 hours and 22 minutes of playtime.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 14-minute [b]walk[/b] to work in the morning but I hate the talk radio as well.  Has anyone tried any of the satellite radio systems?  I figure that's what I'll use if forced to do a long drive to commute.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

T-Man?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Somebody needs to tell those so called DJs to STFU and play some music!

I do not listen to the radio anymore for just that reason.  They suck!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank Clear Channel for that.
View Quote

Thank you clear channel.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Morning radio sucks in Houston. Bring back Stevens and Pruitt!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

T-Man?
View Quote

Haha the classic example.  "Yeah, I'm the T-MAN! Yeah Terrie, listen to my husky voice I'M THE T-MAN!" (terrie) "hahahahahaha!!" (T-man) "Bla bla bla bla!! Bla I'm the T-MAN!!" etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking that it was either that or 107.7 KNDD.  I started listening to Howard...I get a laugh out of it.  But you're right....almost none of the stations play music.  But don't worry, the stations that DO play music all the time play the SAME 8 SONGS ALL THE DAMN TIME!!

So I usually tune to 570AM KVI (my shameless plug for all you Seattlites).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
FM radio has become unlistenable. It's the same damn thing all the time--it's become what AM radio used to be back in the day, top 40, only more like top twenty, on endless rotation. Plus WILD and CRAZY GUYS in the morning.

They've pretty much killed themselves. I think I'll just get an iPod and use that instead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I gave up on FM too, I listen to AM talk or NPR instead in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
i listen to AM radio right when i get on the road

as soon as i hear the traffic report, i pop in a CD for the rest of the drive

i can't stand the laughers

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in Los Angeles, I'm reduced to listening to classical music on my drives [url=http://www.kmzt.com/]KMZT[/url](105.1) or KUSC(91.5)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The laugh-laugh guys are pretty bad.

We've got that around here as well.

Thought it would get better when we got an FM talk radio station here in town that does mostly right wing shows (Savage, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.).

But they've got Glen Beck.

And that's pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep same here.

I'm wakin up on my way to work and all I want is some song and melody to make me feel good.

Instead all I get is some juvenille jackasses laughing at each others farts all morning.

Its like being trapped in a junior high school locker room.[rolleyes]

Thats why I have to listen to AM talk radio,at least they talk about something with some relevance.

One of the local stations plays Stearn in the morning and that can be funny,but sometimes its lame too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Glen Beck is a great morning show on AM, but it's not on till 9am (eastern time) so I never catch it coming home from work.  My second choice is Stern, and then Bob and Tom.  I do get kind of sick of the constant cackling going on during those shows.  

[img]http://www.howardstern.com/hsc.nsf/bad77abf0e5c962e85256ba400664372/$Body/0.2646?[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#27]
We used to have a great morning show here in Houston.  Steven's and Pruett "the radio gawds."  i listened to them since i was in 4th grade!  there were great!  Pruett owns a nice gun shop now! a lil pricey but nice selection!

Now there are gone and have been replaced by "Walton and Johnson."   W&J.....SUCK!!

[url]www.klol.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Morning radio sucks in Houston. Bring back Stevens and Pruitt!!!!!!!!
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#29]
At least you guys aren't forced to listen to "Mancow" aka Eric Muller, like we are in Chicago. He's the DJ that parodied Clinton's delaying flights at an airport for a haircut by parking the radio station van on the Oakland bridge at rush hour and getting [u]his[/u] hair cut. That at least was mildly biting social commentary.

He got hired by WRCX - a decent metal based station that actually played a good variety of music. He had the usual "morning crew", including his main sidekick, a pretty (and smart) gal by the name of Irma Blanco (AKA the Cuban Bombshell). He would razz the top 40 "alternative" (TM) station just down the dial (and hall), and tell his listeners how he would [b]never[/b] work for "them". Irma was a good foil to his irreverent wit. She would call him on issues where she thought he was out of line, and she provided a bit of measure to his "morning madhouse".

After several years with the same crew, his contract came up for re-negotiation. About the same time, the station came up for sale. Long story short, he (and a few of his extras) wound up at (gasp) the "alternative" (TM) station, minus Irma. Whoodathunkit.

When a listener questioned him about it, he got very defensive, and basically told the listeners "Look, people, it's a job. You do what you have to to put food on the table".

While that was bad, what really labeled him as a grade A putz for me was when he started bashing Irma with his new ditz sidekick - I've never seen her, but I'm sure she's more breasts than brains, if her on-air personality is any indication. I guess a strong, smart woman intimidated Mr. Muller, because he bashed Irma solid for most of his first week - personal (locked thread) type stuff.

It's bad enough you throw your principles (at least your publicly proclaimed ones) in the trash...

Don't fuck your friends like that. And even if they weren't your "real" (i.e. personal) friends, you don't fuck the people who stood by you when shit happened.

But, I suppose, just like a politicians goal is to get re-elected, a [s]DJ's[/s] radio personality's goal is to stay "on-air".

I wish him well. He will deal with whatever the powers that be will assign him at his moment of judgement. And I will never listen to him, or encourage anyone to listen to him again.

Edited 'cause my keyboard keep lockin' up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Waaaaaa!!!!!!!!1

At least you guys driving to work during the times of days that is.

I'm at work by 6am, and don't even get to bitch about it.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Another thing I hate is that some "personalities" do ads that get run on other stations owned by the same company, so there's no escaping even if I change the station.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
XM radio.....  Only downside is that I've got to unplug it from 12:00 till 3:00pm for Rush.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top