Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 6:46:32 AM EDT
Suppose you have a car with chrome bumpers or other parts.  Small specks of rust have appeared all over the chrome parts.  How do you get rid of the rust and restore the look of the chrome?  Would you have to sand it all down and get the part re-chromed?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Flitz, works for most of my applications, there's also a product called Semi-chrome, which ya can get at most auto parts.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Happich Simichrome, as [b]mr_wilson[/b] says works great.[img]http://www.hirschauto.com/store/images/simichrome.gif[/img]

I've also had good success with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish.[img]http://hartwellinternational.com/staticpages/%21%21%21newpicsN-Z/turtlewaxchromepolish_01.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Get some chrome polish?

Then perhaps some car wax, or some kind of clear coat after proper surface prep.  Not sure that will adhere properly on chrome, though, and it would be a pain to remove later.

You can get parts chromed, but it sounds expensive.

By the way, I would not use steel wool to remove the rust.  Little tiny pieces tend to breaak off, stick to imprerfections, and then THEY get rusty.

I don't think sanding is a good way to remove chrome.  Would expect that the plating shop  knows how.

Hang on a while and have some of the auto experts chime in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to invest the time and money (yet) into take all the parts to get stripped and repaired.  I will try the chrome polishes though; that looks like a good alternative.

How does the chrome polish stand up to heat?  Like for instance if you put it on exhaust pipes?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll probably want to avoid the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on exhaust pipes. It will leave a residue that will cook onto the chrome when burned. It is best used on bumpers, mirrors, trim and similar surfaces. It can also be used to polish small scratches out of glass.

I have used Simichrome on motorcycle exhaust pipes with good success. It will also remove the blue stain from exhaust. It does this by actually polishing the metal, meaning that a minute layer is removed in the polishing process. You will rub your fingers raw, though. Be careful - the stuff is addictive. You'll find yourself hunting for things to polish before long.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Nevr-Dull works like a charm on motorcycle exhausts.

[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1746_3738291[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]
SOS pads, WD-40 to rinse, and chrome polish to finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top