Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 4:11:21 AM EDT
Shooting Death of 5-Year-Old Boy Called Unintentional

Jun 16, 2003

Travis Lamont Skinner, 24, a convicted felon on probation for drug dealing, allegedly shot a 5-year-old Richmond boy to death shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday. According to victims'-rights advocate Alicia Rasin, the child's mother said the suspect did not mean to shoot the boy.

Richmond police said the shooting took place in the woman's Jennie Scher Road apartment in Richmond's East End. The boy, Marquis Winston, was the woman's only child, Rasin said.

Richmond police issued warrants Sunday charging the Skinner with voluntary manslaughter, using a firearm in a felony and possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony.

Skinner was "handling" a .380-caliber pistol when the weapon fired, striking the boy, police said last night. Richmond police provided no other details about the shooting.

According to Richmond Circuit Court records, Skinner pleaded guilty in December to one count of distribution of cocaine near a school and one count of possessing cocaine with intent to distribute. He was sentenced to a 5-year-suspended sentence on the first charge and a 10-year-suspended sentence on the second charge and was placed on probation.

Last June, Skinner was taken into custody on a parole-violation charge and subsequently returned to probation, according to court records.
View Quote

[url]http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/localupdates/MGBM15GYZGD.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
No suprise in the hood.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
[imbroglio] another victim in the war on drugs..[/imbroglio]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
This is local to me, and is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the hood, hence my prior comment.

It wouldn't suprise me if it turns out that this character was showing off, and putting on a little show trying to look like a hard core MF to this woman and her son.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Who's gun was it?

Why is a "victims'-rights advocate" helping excuse this child murder as "unintentional" in this story?

WHO is the "victim" that this "victims'-rights advocate" is protecting? The 5-year old child or the convicted felon/druggie/parole violator/child-killer?

What's a drug-dealer doing still walking the streets even after violating parole.

What's a 5-year old doing up at 2:00am?

Why was the mother not charged with child endangerment by allowing a convicted felon to "handle" a gun in front of her child?

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is local to me, and is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the hood, hence my prior comment.
View Quote

Hey!!  That's next to my old 'hood.

Well, you're right...it is a shithole area.  But, did you hear about the shooting in Chester outside of the Home Depot yesterday?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You had nads (or were not robworthy) to live in East Richmond.

Yeah I heard about the Home Depot thing, the guy shotgunned his ex, and then shot himself.  The news keeps saying that they were "having problems"???  Ya Think!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, I lived in Church Hill for four years.  Once I knew who and where to avoid, it was cool.  I miss it.  I lived north of Broad St...not in the wealthier area south of Broad.  It was an experience.  I still hang out there twice a week or so...some of my friends live there.

I have to say though, I really don't miss the gunshots, sirens, yelling, hookers, panhandlers, bass, etc.  It was a really neighborhood though...people looked out for each other.  I made a lot of friends there.

Is the Home Depot shooter still in critical condition?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top