Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 8:31:46 PM EDT

In the "HealthSmart" section, Tedd Mitchell, MD, says,

"Keep firearms locked away.  I'm from Texas, where many people own firearms and most handle them with the respect they are due.  Unless you store your guns under lock and key, separately from ammunition, you have a severe misunderstanding of a deadly opponent."

I guess this guy doesn't have any concept of self defense.

I can see him now:
"Pardon me, kind home invader, I need a moment to unlock the gun, retrieve the ammunition, and use this sporting firearm for a purpose its makers never intended for me"

The good doctor "Directs the Wellness Program at the Cooper Clinic in Dallas.  

Executive Editor & VP: Jack Curry
USA Weekend
7950 Jones Branch Dr.
McLean, VA 22107

or

[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF?!!  Is he brain dead?!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
People like this only think about guns for target shooting/hunting/recreation.

If they thought long and hard about guns being used for self-defense it might make their carefully constructed worldview about how "nothing bad will happen/someone else will protect me/it happens to OTHER people" explode like a house of cards in an F-5.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
i guess keeping a loaded 9mm with 1 in the chamer in my nightstand makes me a moron [:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i guess keeping a loaded 9mm with 1 in the chamer in my nightstand makes me a moron [:D]
View Quote

The fact that it's loaded doesn't make you a moron.

The fact that it's a 9MM [i]does[/i] [:p]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Back when I actually owned firearms (like many of us here, I turned them in to the proper authorities once I realized how dangerous they were), I always stored them at the local NRA-approved shooting range. No sense asking for trouble, I say.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Those of you who chimed in advocating loaded with one in the chamber -- do you have kids in the house?  How old?  And what precautions have taken/training have you provided?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It just takes a few more rounds.  But if you're a sadist that just adds to the enjoyment.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that it's a 9MM [i]does[/i] [:p]
View Quote

[rolleyes]
My 9mm will kill something just as dead as your .40 or .45
View Quote

Yes, but my .45 makes bigger holes to let the heat out quicker....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those of you who chimed in advocating loaded with one in the chamber -- do you have kids in the house?  How old?  And what precautions have taken/training have you provided?
View Quote

Good point!

If you have kids then your "go-to" weapon should either be on your person or in a quick access safe or lock-box.  Even then your kids should have been taught the basic rules of gun saftey the moment they were old enough.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In the "HealthSmart" section, Tedd Mitchell, MD, says,

"Keep firearms locked away.  I'm from Texas, where many people own firearms and most handle them with the respect they are due.  Unless you store your guns under lock and key, separately from ammunition, you have a severe misunderstanding of a deadly opponent."

View Quote

I wonder if they say that often enough, it will then become the standard by which you are judged.  They will say: Oh my god he had a loaded gun in his safe!  Didn't he know it was supposed to be in a different container from the ammo becaue that is what was said in the newspapers. Everybody knows that.

What't the next level of absurdity? Someone becoming critical because the officer actually had bullets in his gun!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if they say that often enough, it will then become the standard by which you are judged. They will say: Oh my god he had a loaded gun in his safe! Didn't he know it was supposed to be in a different container from the ammo becaue that is what was said in the newspapers. Everybody knows that.
View Quote

Not too far off.  Set a standard (even if it is just a LITTLE BIT unreasonable) and then wait until everyone gets used to it, then raise it again.

"Ladies and gentleman of the jury, even though little Johnny broke into his parents gun safe without their knowledge, the tragic act of "gun violence" that poor little 17 year old "child" perpetrated with the evil handgun could have been prevented if they had only locked away the bullets in another secure location."

There will always be enough sheeple out there to buy a load of bullshit like this.  Only a matter of time until we see someone convicted of just such an incident.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My son got not just trained but also experienced from age 7 or so -- target shooting & hunting.  

The homeland defense unit was always ready to go.  However while he was young, it was locked away whenever I was gone, and he had no access to it.  When I was home, ready access unless he had friends over.  At night, I have always kept it within reach, except when he had friends over.

I've always told him not to talk about our guns to anyone except close friends we shoot with.

When we a firearm anywhere, we take care not to let anyone see us taking it in or out of the house.

Now that he's mature enough, he has equal access and know not to  have it out when we have guests, unless he & his buddy are going to the range.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep my firearms at my parent's house and my ammo at my brother's house. No criminal will ever be harmed by a firearm in my home. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#16]
you have a severe misunderstanding of a deadly opponent
View Quote

So, let me get this straight...

IT's the GUN that's the deadly opponent, not the home invader.

And to think I've had it wrong all these years.

What a fuckin' moron!

-Eric
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My kids, until they got of age, wouldn't even move  a gun in the way of cleaning house or car untill I  moved it for them. Training and trust has got to be #1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, I have no kids to worry about, and I keep most of my weapons unloaded, and ammo stored separately, except for my carry and duty ones, which are always hot and ready to go, and I don't it is a bad idea, as long as your home defense weapons are loaded and accessible only to you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My kids, until they got of age, wouldn't even move  a gun in the way of cleaning house or car untill I  moved it for them. Training and trust has got to be #1.
View Quote

I agree, my 9yo knows the rules. She also know that they apply to her WHERE EVER she goes.

also make sure your kids know what to do if they encounter a firearm somewhere w/o you. ie; friends house or out playing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#20]
If you have kids in the house, use a semi-auto pistol or even better a 12 gauge pump with the magazine loaded and the chamber empty. If you're kids are big enough and strong enough to rack a slide, they're big enough to know how to use it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Those of you who chimed in advocating loaded with one in the chamber -- do you have kids in the house? How old? And what precautions have taken/training have you provided?
View Quote

Yes.  Eleven.  1911 in a quick access by the bed.  All others in the safe.

My son knows the rules. He has his own handguns (technically, of course they're mine); a DW 10" .22 and a Colt 1911. I worry about his friends who haven't been properly trained.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Such is the illusion I cast over my father...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes I have a 2 year old. I keep a loaded gun in a quick access safe. It's not that difficult to keep a loaded gun safely around kids. [rolleyes]

I wish all my problems were that easy to solve.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
It's funny, my wife and I are starting to have "that conversation" and are wondering what to do about our house guns. Right now, we just always leave one within arm's reach of one or the other of us when we're home but wouldn't want it just sitting there when we have a grabby little rug rat stumbling around the house. You wouldn't have to get distracted for long if Mr. Murphy's your babysitter.

It was actually my real motivation for putting in for my CCW - if it's always on me, it's always accessible but always under my immediate control. No worries about losing track, taking it on/off when leaving the house, et cetera. And a good conversation piece with potential suitors as time goes by if we have girls.... [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
just me and my girlfriend in my apartment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top