Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 7:32:18 PM EDT
How long does it take from the beginning of the process to the time you can actually take posession if a class 3 firearm?

Someone told me that in the '80s, it took 2 years.

Does it still take that long?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
About 4 months or so

[url=http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157876]Here is an excellent post from glocktalk about the subject[/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It takes WAY too long.

It's usually several months from the time you pay for the gun to the time you pick it up...

Well worth the wait though...

You basically buy it, and forget about it for a few months...

Eventually the magical phone call comes from your dealer saying: "Come and get it !"
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It has been taking from 68 to over 90 days lately. I'm about 40 days into my wait.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent in paperwork on a can the first week of march and got mine back on May 20th FWIW.  I also think it depends greatly on which reviewer/inspector you get.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
One other thing that determines the time is whether it's an inter-state transfer or not.  It's two transfers if it is (one to your in-state dealer, then from the dealer to you).  If it's an intra-state transfer, only one transfer is done, so consequently less time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Vector UZI from a dealer in Utah last June. I had it transferred to my dealer in Arizona, then to transfer to me. I am currently waiting on the CLEO signature so I can submit my paperwork to ATF.  It's been a year already and I'm just a little over halfway thru the paperwork process.

HOWEVER... during this time, the ATF switched from the Treasury Dept to the Dept. of Justice. Because of this they have been very slow, but are starting to pick up again.

Basically I picked the longest process (inter-state transfer) at the worst time.

My dealer in Arizona tells me the transfer should only take 4 months when we get there.  YMMV.

Edited to add :  Vector sold out of the Full size UZI in February. So the gun I paid $2899 for is currently listed at $5699 ([url]www.impactguns.com[/url]).  That lessens the pain of waiting just a little bit.....

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up an Uzi Saturday.

Corp Transfer

Mailed       4/16
Pending      5/19
Approved     6/10
Picked up    6/14    [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top