Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 7:24:14 PM EDT
about once a month someone will come around and want me to buy something at work.  usually it's candy or Christmas raping paper.  or a ton of useless stuff (never AR parts or ammo).  but its for someone's kid to take a school trip to Florida (my school never did anything like this) but hey its a kid so it's "cool".  

so anyway a while back this 25yo chick walks in to my cubical and asks me if i would be willing to donate for her to "run for the cure" .  i am thinking it's $1.00 a mile or something like that.  so i say sure tell me about it.  she is going on a seven day "run for the cure" in Alaska with a church group.  seems she is going to "fly up one day, run one day and see the sights the other four! then fly back.  ok, so how much goes to the cancer folks, what ever is left she says.  i say left from what?  well the trip silly.  i say well, that's odd.  why she says.  it's kind of a mini-vacation.  she looks sheepish and kind of grins.  i say it would be a lot cheaper for you to run here in Houston and give all the money to a Cancer foundation.  this pisses her off and she leaves and later i get a lecture from the boss.  but the good news is she hasn't bee back to bug me.  

so it got me thinking.  i am going to Thunder Ranch on a "shoot for the cure" trip.  i will open up a pay pall account so you guys can donate. every penny goes to Cancer  research "after i get the  two grand for expenses"...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't George Costanza start a "Human Fund".

How 'bout a "nap for the cure". Don't feel like runnin'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
"Raping Paper?!?"

Eeew....
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It's like toilet paper, but for other fluids.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got done looking at the Pics' of the "Run for a Cure" that on of my guys did a mini tri race it was a  run/swim/bike, it was a mini vacation. He had to raise 3800.00, they flew him to Tenn from VA and put him up in a decent hotel and a few meals.

It sounds like a 50/50 split. Your coworker will have to raise a minimum amount to get the trip free
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't lump all charity marathons in with this...

I was going to run the Boston Marathon this year for a charity.  I had to raise a minumum of $5000, all of which was going to the charity.  I had to pay for all my travel and lodging expenses while in Boston for the marathon.

As it turned out, I couldn't do it because of an injury, but maybe next year...

Anyway...  not all charity runners are out for a week-long paid vacation.  There are quite a few that are good for the charity.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top