Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 3:33:12 PM EDT

i've got the inside corner down but the outside corner wont come out right. i'm using oak so i cant afford to scrap any
HELP!

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]

i just wasted 8 inches of OAK molding

dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!dammit!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
[red]Cha-Ching !![/red]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You have the inside ? Thats the hard one the outside corner is just a 45.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
ummm...its definitely not a simple 45 degree cut....its more like 37.5 or something like that.  Look up crown molding how to on the internet and you'll find a web site that explains how to do it.

Then you might have to go out and buy a compound arm mitre saw or a crown molding jig.

Another way to do it is to buy the square corner blocks that nail into the corners and then you can use simple cuts to fit the molding in between the blocks.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Here ya go superdav [url]http://www.compoundmiter.com/crown.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm no carpenter, but my simple mitre box worked fine for the corners.  and the paint filled in the shitty gaps! [%|]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
2 words:

Coping Saw
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]

chokey is right..  coping saw is the way to do it, but it takes practice.

You don't need a compound saw..  the crown has to set in you miter box exactly like it's going to go up the the ceiling.  

If your walls are perfectly plum you can get away without coping..

but that's not the case very often.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Put it on the saw the same way you are going to hang it.

If you are hanging it at a 45 crown make a jig for your saw at a 45 degree angle.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]

sorry,, after rereading your post, I see you having problems with the outside cut..  there is no coping invloved in an outside cut.  

just position in your miter  just like it will go up to the ceiling.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the angles at the corner. Make sure the walls are at 90*. Adjust your cuts as necessary. Rarely will a house have very many perfect 90* corners which means with stain grade trim, you have to check each and every one before you make any cuts.

Also, always cut crown backwards and upside down on the angle it hangs on the wall. This way you only have to adjust the miter angle and don't have to screw around with bevel angles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Outside corner crown moulding is positioned against the mitre saw fence upside down and cut at a 45 degree angle.

Inside corner crown moulding is installed with one limb straight cut and butted to the wall and the other limb angle cut at 45 degrees then back coped.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to know the real angle of the corner.  Theoretically it'll be 90 degrees, but in reality, it won't be.  So find the angle and cut as appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need to know the real angle of the corner.  Theoretically it'll be 90 degrees, but in reality, it won't be.  So find the angle and cut as appropriate.
View Quote

Bingo!  I never had one single corner come out square in my house. You have to measure every single one. Don't get me started on those f'ed up compound angles that you end up with from those inbred Amish drywallers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top