Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 7:26:42 PM EDT
Hello ---

I am a civilian and with that designation I unfortunately haven't a flipping clue when I am following threads that use Military Terminologies. Aside from enlisting, @ 50+ not likely, is there a way I could enjoy some of these spirited and knowledgeable commentaries without being a bother to the rest of the community?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
ask what they mean....?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You can try [url=http://www.gijargon.com/default.asp]GI Jargon's Website[/url], but be advised that a lot of the good stuff is mired in goofiness, and there is a fair amount of inter-service backbiting there. However, it serves as a fair compendium of some rather obscure references.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
fubar = fucked up beyond all recognition
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
-Absolut
ask what they mean....?
View Quote

This would make sense but some of these run with 3+ references and IMHO don't think the writers would really want to go through the bother.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Second idea: jump in on the thread and start making stuff up.

Example:
If I'm going to PFM on a DQ-19, how can I keep my RFO out of my CFW? If I get into a WSE situation, I sure don't want some LNOM to write me up on a Form91 just for being a CMX.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
read Clancy?  or just ask- most GI's just love to spout off about it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but those acronyms are on a NTKB.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Second idea: jump in on the thread and start making stuff up.

Example:
If I'm going to PFM on a DQ-19, how can I keep my RFO out of my CFW? If I get into a WSE situation, I sure don't want some LNOM to write me up on a Form91 just for being a CMX.
View Quote

You can't do a PFM on the DQ-19 because it's obsolete and out of the active duty inventory.  It's been upgraded to the DQ-19c.  download the new CBAT software and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure about that?  DOC-12c Rev. b has ODTed that AFAIK.  CENTCOM still employs DQ-18 in NTK Docs, however.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Post your questions in the "Hall of Heroes" (military) forum.

We love to show off! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
s.n.a.f.u. = situation normal, all fucked up. when unsure about aircraft call them a BMF4EJ that's a bigmotherfucker w/ a four engine job.....see, it's easy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
fucking sandcrab.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Need SITREP ASAP concerning OPSEC reference your last. ETA NLT COB this p.m.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

See, aside from ASAP this could be fucking FRENCH or GERMAN to me. This proves it, if I was 27 again (another and more widely discussed topic) all this confusing shit would inspire me to enlist, see ya happy now?? What do I DO??? Who do I sign in with - AF, Navy, Army, Marines?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Read military or military/fantasy novels.
Dale Brown, Stephen Coots, Tom Clancy, etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Need a Situation Report As Soon As Possible concerning Operational Security in reference to your last communication.  Estimated Time of Arival No Later Than Close Of Business this afternoon.

-Troy
View Quote

You must've been a General.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
fubar = fucked up beyond all recognition
View Quote

Its German.

BTW, sir, if the former VP is such a VIP, shouldnt we keep the PC on the QT cause if it leaked to the VC he could end up MIA and we'd be put out on KP
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]

We used to burn MOGAS in our jeeps (military octane gasoline) and ate MREs in the field (meals-ready-to-eat). We pulled CQ (charge of quarters) and communicated by TACSAT (tactical satellite communications). We slept in a GP medium tent (general purpose), and warmed it with a PBS (pot bellied stove).

The gear we carried our ammo and first aid pouch on was called LBE (load bearing equipment). The vehicles and equipment we possessed were dictated by the TO&E (table of organization and equipment), and if the equipment or weapons needed updating or modifying it was done IAW (in accordance with) the MWO (modification work order).

We double-timed, triple-timed, and marked time. We lined up dress-right-dress, then went to parade rest. When we were ordered to assume the position, we dropped down to a front leaning rest position and started knocking out push ups till our drill sergeant got tired.

We fell out, and fell in. We did close quarter drills, grass drills, and drill and ceremony. We wore footgear and headgear, and had no fear when we drank our beer. We sent rounds down range and policed the brass when finished.

We bitched, moaned, and complained... and then got up and did it all over again. We were cocked, locked, and ready to rock. We sang cadence when we marched "...G.I. beans and G.I. gravy, gee I wished I joined the navy..."

But most of all, ...we served.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you all... I guess I missed a lot more than the terminology as a civilian - I see the comradery, inter-service rivalry, kibitzing, respect and loyalty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Try here - www.cotf.navy.mil/otd/caal.pdf

aka  COMOPTEVFORINST 3960.12E answers all your questions, except for common acronyms and stuff found in DICNAVAB

Piece of cake
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#23]
BOHICA

bend
over
here
it
comes
again

(ouch)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top