Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2003 6:35:01 PM EDT
i've heard a person whos musical tastes usually coincide with mine make the claim that some of this stuff is good, musical, and worth checking out

anyone have recommendations?

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i've heard a person whos musical tastes usually coincide with mine make the claim that some of this stuff is good, musical, and worth checking out

View Quote

[b]50 cent![/b] [size=1]Just kidding.[/size=1]

I have no recommendations, just wishing you good luck in finding some decent hiphop.  I've heard maybe two good artists in the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend Bloodhound Gang.  Rap rock combo.  My sig is from my favorite song of their's:  Lift your Head Up High (And Blow your Brains Out)

"Do you still go to raves? Do you think Christ saves?
Do you spend your days in a Purple Haze?
Do you contemplate what a Grape Nut is?
Or could you live drinkin' your own whiz?
Are you "Hooked On A Feeling?" Are you hooked on gin and tonics?
Are you hooked on fistin'? Are you "Hooked On Phonics?"
Did you ever have sex with a box of Kleenex?
Did you like the movie "Malcolm X?"
Or do you own a record by Stryper?
Do you have a mongoloid cousin wearin' diapers?
Were you born and raised in New Jersey?
Did you like the taste of Crystal Pepsi?
Are you deaf? Well if you are you can't hear me
But what's the use of livin' if your ear's be
Broken? Even if I spoke clearly
You're still not able to hear me

'Cause life is a game that no one wins
But you deserve a head-start the way your life's goin'
So throw in the towel 'cause your life ain't shit
No take that towel and hang yourself with it
Life's short and hard like a body-building elf
So save the planet and kill yourself
If you're feelin' down-and-out with what your life is all about
Lift your head up high and blow your brains out "

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
for some good suggestions check out this thread   [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=189184&w=searchPop]here[/url].
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
[Hank Hill voice] What the hell are you smoking. That stuff is all shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
for some good suggestions check out this thread   [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=189184&w=searchPop]here[/url].
View Quote

oops

missed that one

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
For the most part, I agree.  But some rappers are clever, catchy, and have talent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[Hank Hill voice] What the hell are you smoking. That stuff is all shit.
View Quote

that has been my opinion

i'm willing to give the cream of the crop a listen though

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
There's nothing more FUCKING RETARDED than a White Trash moron listening to RAP! Yo Yo Yo!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like that stuff. Possibly shoot an IM to EladEflow.

Here's some good stuff:

Eazy-E: Neighorhood Sniper

Linkin Park (sort of a rap/rock combo): Step Up, High Voltage, In The End

D12: Pistol Pistol, Revelation, Fight Music

Eminem: Soldier, Sing For The Moment, Square Dance, Till I Collapse, When The Music Stops, The Way I Am, I'm Shady, Rock Bottom (very good/meaningful), Role Model, Go To Sleep, Nail In The Coffin

Outkast: Bombs over Baghdad

That oughta get you started. [;)]

Edit: The Eminem I'm recommending isn't the stuff you normally hear on the radio. All of his really popular songs (The Real Slim Shady, Without Me, My Name Is, et al.) suck.

Double Edit: Dale really seems to like Ignition (Remix) by R Kelly. Yes I know, child molester, etc., but the song really does 'grow on you'.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I recommend ODB.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Linkin Park is okay if you like teen angst.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I recommend ODB.
View Quote

You really should get that full frontal Lobotomy, douche bag!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I like this line (a little chlorine in the gene pool please) So save the planet and kill yourself
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
what a bunch of racists
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
No.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what a bunch of racists
View Quote

That's name calling!  I demand this thread be locked immediately!

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
[moon]

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Never mentioned any race in my post... 'sup with that post? Kinda grown up past most of the "look at me" music stuff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I also recommend Missy Elliot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Wasn't this thread posted a few weeks ago?  LOL
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
uuhhh, are we sure that's "really" Red_Beard? VERY out of character.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
NO!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wasn't this thread posted a few weeks ago?  LOL
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#25]
markm
 There's nothing more FUCKING RETARDED than a White Trash moron listening to RAP! Yo Yo Yo!  
View Quote

Easy there homeboy! That's on the verge of racism.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#26]
The more commercial stuff..

Today was a good day- Ice Cube

Bout it Bout it- Master P

Hey Ma- Cam'Ron

Let's get high- Dre

Callifornia Love - Tupac (AWESOME)

And if you want to laugh your ass off, find John Popper and Phish covering Snoop-Dogs "Gin and Juice".
It's the catchiest fucking thing i've heard in a couple of years, and funnier than hell to hear them sing it.
Who knew there was a place for a Mandolin in hip-hop [:E]

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
1. Busta Rhymes - Woo Haa!!(Got you all in check)
2. Ice Cube - Right here, right now
3. Insane Clown Posse - Redneck Hoe 99(this is just too funny to me)
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I started the other thread, and really didn't get much help beyond stuff I already knew about.  A couple of the recommendations that I downloaded were pure garbage in fact.  I'm guessing that you and I are in the same boat.  Here's some recomendations from someone who doesn't want to hear about pimpin' hos, shooting cops or whitey, or dealing drugs:

A Tribe Called Quest
Black Eyed Peas
KRS1
Everylast's last two albums (not really rap, at least not entirely, but great albums by a formerly rap artist all the same)

Of the stuff in the other thread I'd avoid are Necro.  Pure garbage.
I also find Puffy, Biggy, Tupac, Jay-Z, will smith (who is whiter than eminem), eminem (who is blacker than will smith), Nelly, etc. to be total market trash.  They are the equivalent of the New Lips on the Cock or any other boy band; they are a marketing experiment that has been insanely successful.
Of the commercially popular stuff I like 50 cent, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, a few others I can't think of their names.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
crimefighter just reminded me of ICP.  Insane Clown Posse are awesome.  Some object to their shit because they don't understand that it's entirely tongue in cheek.  Believe it or not they've actually got songs with a serious message.  One of their funiest tracks is a mocking of a group of white kids hanging out "gang-banging"; funny ass shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#30]
It sucks, don't do it.

[i]A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream.
Staying the flowers daily, sensing all the themes.
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim,
A movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you.
Changed only for a sight of sound, the space agreed.
Between the picture of time behind the face of need,
Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid,
Emotion revealed as the ocean maid,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you.
[/i]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Nossir, I don't like it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Go ahead and call me a racist! I agree with Mark.

Red Beard I'm probably wrong but I use to read thread by a "Red Beard" about White slavery and such. That wouldn't be you would it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go ahead and call me a racist! I agree with Mark.

Red Beard I'm probably wrong but I use to read thread by a "Red Beard" about White slavery and such. That wouldn't be you would it?
View Quote

you may have me confused with

"ragnar red beard" or something like that

he was one of the 88 nazi infiltrators posting links to aryan nations websites and such

not me

i do rag on political correctness and double standard stuff

my line on racism above was a joke

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Rap is Music?!...surely you jest....and your Mutha's a lazy ho' she dresses you like a fuckin azz clown too....hehehe
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have your friend seek professional help.

Rap/Hip-hop is the mindless noise of a cultural sub-element that seeks to legitimize (or even glorify) violence, bastardy, drug use, and a lack of respect for women.

[i]edited to add:[/i]
although, I must admit that I've heard a couple tracks that are kinda cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I have a recommendation.
The next time some butt monkey pulls up next to you at a traffic light with some of that shit blaring out of his car; open trunk, grab  shotgun, apply liberal doses of 00 buck to the offending shitwagon util offensive noises stop.

It's all cRAP. No msic. No singing. Just some jerkoff with a rag on his head poking his finger at you speaking some language he learned in a crackhouse.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Here we go again, the peanut gallery just can't keep quiet.  One would hope at least that their opinions would be based in fact, instead they just spout off their mindless drivel and fade back into the shadows.  Don't bother trying to argue with them, because when you post examples that don't agree with their pre-conceived and ill-informed ideas they just ignore it anyway.

'cause yeah, Qtip talking about how he left his wallet in el segundo is really bringing down the whole of western civilization [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here we go again, the peanut gallery just can't keep quiet.  One would hope at least that their opinions would be based in fact, instead they just spout off their mindless drivel and fade back into the shadows.  Don't bother trying to argue with them, because when you post examples that don't agree with their pre-conceived and ill-informed ideas they just ignore it anyway.

'cause yeah, Qtip talking about how he left his wallet in el segundo is really bringing down the whole of western civilization [rolleyes]
View Quote

Dude, it just sucks.  It isn't even close to music.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
If I remember correctly, Bob Dole blamed the decline of Western civilization on the death metal band Cannibal Corpse.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Red_beard, we dont take kindly to our brothas listenin to that culud music. Its evil, satanic, and goes against all the goodness of the good christain white man. I ask you delete the thread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Red_beard, we dont take kindly to our brothas listenin to that culud music. Its evil, satanic, and goes against all the goodness of the good christain white man. I ask you delete the thread.
View Quote

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Where I live you can't help but listen to it, even if you don't want to. Everyone is blasting it from thier cars and homes. At first it all sounded the same to me, like angry racist garbage, but some of it grows on you and you just get used to it. I don't know the group names but it's not all as bad as some people think it is. Give it a try Red_Beard, it's nothing to be afraid of and you just might like it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#43]
As with other things in our current society,if they can't rise to our level they'll drag us down to theirs!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
who is "they"?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
markm
View Quote

Easy there homeboy! That's on the verge of racism.

View Quote

No, its way over the verge of being a politicly incorrect TRUTH.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#46]
IBTL..oh i cant stand the wigger wannabes round here..this is why we need selective sterilization.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#47]
... Yes!

... My music tastes are probably as diverse as anyones. Among my collection, I certainly have some rap/hiphop. Mostly Eminem, Dr. Dre and a lot of the guys that make up D12.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
IBTL..oh i cant stand the wigger wannabes round here..this is why we need selective sterilization.
View Quote

question for you

I about 10-20 hours a week playing and practicing jazz guitar. Jazz is a heavily black influenced form of music. Does that make me a "wigger"?

The person who suggested that there are a few quality albums in the rap/hip-hop genre was my guitar teacher. we were talking about interesting rhythms and the conversation veered onto rap music.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#49]
definition: based on my school of hardknocks book defines a wigger as follows: a WHITE guy/gal who listens to rap or equivalant in their vehicle with their hat turned backwards, while having the drivers seat on the full down postion, and the music blaring extremely loud and with their 6X9 radio shack speakers sounds like crap, also dont forget that their pants are down past their ass.they got so much bling bling on they cant stand up straight, and they have an accent that is NOT typical of white americans. my point is enjoy what ever music ya like,,but i dont wanna have to listen to it (yes i know sum rednecks play heehaw music equally as loud), but these are the same punks that watch a gangbang movie and now they think they are gangbangers,,and what is funny, 50cent (a rapper) is makin fun of the wiggers in his song "WANKSTER". I guarantee i have the most diverse collection of MP3s out there. like 3000mp3s and i enjoy everything from Bach to Metallica, if i listen to country music , im not goin to go out and buy sum chaps and a cowboy hat and be a wannabe, LOL. i live where this is common place, and frankly it gets old, and it isnt even about young ppl tryin to get their own identity, they are gettin sumone elses, lol.anywho..
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

The man asked if anyone listens to rap.  If he didn't want to take the chance that he might get some negative responses, he shouldn't have posted here.  Unlike DU, people here are able to give their opinion.  If you took a poll, I would imagine that the majority of people that visit this site hate rap.  Go to a rap message board if you want only positive and enlightening responses.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top