Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 5:31:47 PM EDT

My oldest child decided to get artistic on the leather pads on my car door and i cant get it off with leather cleaner. Is there anything else thats safe to use on it that will take it off? HELP save my kids ass!
[spank]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
use nail polish remover.  This will remove most inks.  If it is a light colored leather, be sure to use the type without oil.  The kind with oil will stain the leather.  then go back with a little saddle soap or leather cleaner to recondition the leather.  The polish remover will dry the leather.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]

thanks, i will try that. you may have just saved a child, it's for the safety of the kids you know.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ink Stains: FOR BALLPOINT AND FELT TIP PENS ONLY.  Use your fingertip covered by a clean, colorfast cloth.  Rub up and off in one motion.  DO NOT RUB INTO THE LEATHER.  Change cloth area with each motion.  If this does not work, try bottled water on cloth and repeat technique.  If all else fails, lightly rub area with gum eraser (used on suede shoes and can be purchased in most shoe stores).(on the assumption that it's aniline leather that has been treated with Scotchguard)

hairspray was also mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ink Stains: FOR BALLPOINT AND FELT TIP PENS ONLY.  Use your fingertip covered by a clean, colorfast cloth.  Rub up and off in one motion.  DO NOT RUB INTO THE LEATHER.  Change cloth area with each motion.  If this does not work, try bottled water on cloth and repeat technique.  
View Quote

i tried this first then the leather cleaner and still a light mark remained AND the nail polish remover did not work

i guess i'll find an eraser
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hair spray will remove ink from most things.  I have used it to remove ink from my leather seats without a problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]

(shuffle)(shuffle)....looking for hair spray.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
They used an ammonia based cleaner to get ink price marks off cans.  How it would work on leather I couldn't say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top