Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!

16 weeks of hell are finally over. i start my first day as a copper tomorrow.

on a side note, i was relentless and not at all shy about givin hell to certain high ranking LT's & police cheif instructors that were total gun grabbers. some of the crap they were preaching in class was just absolutely ridiculous.

just thought i'd share my good news. now i have time to play on ARFC.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrads!!!!!

Hope to be joining you soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations Man!!!! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
just dont let the badge go to your head, i've seen too many people put on a badge and go to hell.  in fact, my grandfather had a saying, went something like, "a badge can fuck up even a good man"

congratulations, good luck, be careful, and go make a difference!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
[headbang]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Kevlar...everyday, without exception.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
 Another sucker!! Just kidding. Get a Surefire,Streamlight, or other quality flashlight. Don't compromise on your light. And never let anybody hit you first or shoot first on you.
 Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey rookie, go get me a beer! [:D]

All kidding aside congrats.
Remember, a badge does not make you a god, or bullet proof.
Now you are the example, rather than the exception.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Good, now everyone here can hate you. [;)]

Congrats, that is a lot of work.  Good job on pointing out falsehoods the the grabbers.  Amazing how many cops buy the line hook and sinker.  Same shit they tell them about speed killing.  It is shitty drivers in shitty cars not paying attention that kills.

My friends kid just graduated a few months ago. Loves the job.  He works in a real shitville town so is always busy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
hell, this thread reminded me to contact a buddy of mine i hadnt talked to in a while...............just got on as a TxDPS state trooper in columbus, tx here not too long ago.

told the sorry bastard how shitty it was for him to run off all the way to columbus right when i finally knew a trooper [;)]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck.

And in the immortal words of Joe Friday

It's an endless, glamourless, thankless job. But someone's got to do it. Thank God.

ED
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations!

Please say hi to Steve Gutenberg and Bobcat Goldthwait for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Just curious...how about a Cliff's Notes version of their anti-gun rhetoric?

Quoted:
WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!

16 weeks of hell are finally over. i start my first day as a copper tomorrow.

on a side note, i was relentless and not at all shy about givin hell to certain high ranking LT's & police cheif instructors that were total gun grabbers. some of the crap they were preaching in class was just absolutely ridiculous.

just thought i'd share my good news. now i have time to play on ARFC.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
You didn'task but here's some tips from some old street cops:

You have got to develop the ability to take yourself out of that uniform and feel what the other person is feeling while staying safe and doing what you have to do at the same time.

You can love the job all you want ... just don't expect it to love you back.

The badge will get you a lot of pus2y, but the pus2y will get your badge.

Never give up your gun.
Never beg for your life.
Go to every school they will let you attend.

Gotta have three things to be a good cop:

1. Common sense
2. Compassion
3. A sense of humor

When you feel like standing on a chair and screaming is usually the best time to sit your ass down and shut the fuck up.

Hint: I wouldn't lecture ANYBODY (LTs or not) too much or you will find your young rookie ass unemployed. Shut up for at least two years and listen. You don't know shit yet.

Cowards are lower than whale shit. If your FTO is getting his ass kicked, you better be too.

Never, never lie. Character and credibility are everything.

Good luck. Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations! And do Right.

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#16]
[beer]

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to have the K9 back you up if possible.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats and remember where you came from,you are still one of us ,don't let them turn you into something you are not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats.

Do you have the location of every donut shop memorized?[:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Congrats and remember where you came from,you are still one of us ,don't let them turn you into something you are not.
View Quote

(edited to add ,the "them" I refer to is the scumbag criminals.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats...and be careful out there :)

G.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats...

Which county are you going to be in?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations! Along with a couple of suggestions.

Your vest is your friend.  NEVER go out without your friend.

Quality firearms.  (Backup included) and shoot a LOT. Ammo purchases should be in your weekly budget. Dry fire as much as possible, inspect weapons, magazines and ammo daily before shift. Further, inspect radio, handcuffs and ASP if carried.

Good shoes.  Be REALLY picky.

Be nice to dispatchers.  They are your lifeline.

Lastly,  You are a rookie.  The practical jokers are going to get you! (My favorite is a flexi-cuff on the drive shaft of the patrol car.  Works every time.)  This just goes to show we like you.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
You are [b]THE MAN[/b]

No, seriously, you are the Man.

My nephew and his wife are both LA County Sheriffs in Lynwood.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
on a side note, i was relentless and not at all shy about givin hell to certain high ranking LT's & police cheif instructors that were total gun grabbers...
View Quote

Well, if you can't beat them....

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You didn'task but here's some tips from some old street cops:

You have got to develop the ability to take yourself out of that uniform and feel what the other person is feeling while staying safe and doing what you have to do at the same time.

You can love the job all you want ... just don't expect it to love you back.

The badge will get you a lot of pus2y, but the pus2y will get your badge.

Never give up your gun.
Never beg for your life.
Go to every school they will let you attend.

Gotta have three things to be a good cop:

1. Common sense
2. Compassion
3. A sense of humor

When you feel like standing on a chair and screaming is usually the best time to sit your ass down and shut the fuck up.

Hint: I wouldn't lecture ANYBODY (LTs or not) too much or you will find your young rookie ass unemployed. Shut up for at least two years and listen. You don't know shit yet.

Cowards are lower than whale shit. If your FTO is getting his ass kicked, you better be too.

Never, never lie. Character and credibility are everything.

Good luck. Have fun.
View Quote

Great advice...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now I would suggest you evaluate your new cop mindset.

Goto a gun show out of uniform. Walk around and talk to attendies and dealers. See if you can make it trough the show without feeling the need to inform someone you are a police officer.

Never have plumbers/electricians etc. feel that I need to know what they do for a living, don't know why cops and mall security and Ex Navy Seals feel the need to fill me in.
View Quote

That's funny.  I had an electrician come up to me just this morning in Home Depot and rag on me for my choice of a motion sensor light for over the garage.

"I've been in the business 20 years " etc.

Obnoxious little twit just wouldn't go away.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats!  Please try to stay one of the good ones.  By that I mean-

resist the "Us vs. them" mentality

resist the power trip.

Resist corruption.

Remember the "serve and protect" motto (is that even applicable anymore)?

Remember that you are a civil servant and a civilian-not a military occupational force.

I ask all of these things with the utmost respect for you and the profession.

one more thing- Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:10:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Congradulations Rookie Biatch,
Go get me a beer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#31]
[url]www.krispykreme.com[/url]
[url]www.dunkindonuts.com[/url]

Go to these two sites and get on the 'donut of the week" mailing list. They love cops for some reason and give deep discounts.

And remember, very few people will really understand what you do for a living.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll give you the normal advice: wear your vest, get a back-up gun, carry a good second flashlight on your duty belt, wtahc the hands, and listen to your FTO and don't argue.

By far though, your most important skill, beyond all of the shooting, tactics, law, high-speed driving and everything else is the ability to talk to people, read their body language, and persuade them to your viewpoint. Communications skills will keep you out of IA, allow you to solve problems where others fail, keep the public happy, and get you quality arrests. Learn to talk to people, learn to listen, and learn how to read folks. It will also save your life and keep you out of lots of unecessary trouble.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#33]
and remember civilians have rights.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Congratulations! Well done!

Um...just so we know you're authentic, though, can you post a pic of your qualifying Aggressive Dog target, please? [;)]

cynic
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kevlar...everyday, without exception.
View Quote
F*ckin-A, bubba.
By far though, your most important skill, beyond all of the shooting, tactics, law, high-speed driving and everything else is the ability to talk to people, read their body language, and persuade them to your viewpoint. Communications skills will keep you out of IA, allow you to solve problems where others fail, keep the public happy, and get you quality arrests. Learn to talk to people, learn to listen, and learn how to read folks. It will also save your life and keep you out of lots of unecessary trouble.
View Quote
This sounds like it came from a guy I'd pay a hell of a lot of attention to, if I were a new Cop.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats and stay safe out there. I graduate muyself in a week and a half.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats! it's nice to know another one of our members is on the force and already giving the JBT gun grabbers an earful. Keep safe brother.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, Zardoz.

I'll add that 10 minutes of talking will save you 10 hours in IA, and 10 days off without pay. Talk really is cheap, and taking a few minutes to explain to someone why you did something, and turning a formerly pissed-off person you just stopped into your new ally against crime will make life much easier. Tell people why you did what you did; it is no big secret, and a candid, respectful explanation at the scene will save you lots of heartache later. Look at all of the cop-bashing you see here. The 1st hand accounts start with "I was minding my own business..." and end with "and I still wonder why the cop did that." Do you think those folks would be so upset if the officer had taken a few minutes to explain what was going on? Trust me on this, it will save you lots of trouble AND keep your citizens, who you just swore to serve, happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top