Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2003 7:28:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't go see it in the theater because after seeing the trailer, I thought it would suck.
I rented it the other night and it was very good!
I plan to buy the dvd now.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Good movie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It shoulda lasted about 20 minutes. Throw the simpering French doctor over your shoulder and leave. The Ubangies can look after themselves.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]
There is another thread somewhere. Do a search on this Tears of the Sun. I haven't the picture, but I someone pointed out that the Aimpoint optical sights were on backwards, don't if that is true or not I didn't see the movie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is another thread somewhere. Do a search on this Tears of the Sun. I haven't the picture, but I someone pointed out that the Aimpoint optical sights were on backwards, don't if that is true or not I didn't see the movie.
View Quote

An "Army of One" ad had two soldiers in artic cammo standing back to back with one of their aimpoints on backwards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you got the DVD you should also check out the commentary.  The screen writer commentary doesnt last that long. In it they mention that the unit chosen at first was going to be Delta Force and not SEALs. Listening to some of their BS you know these guys are typical hollywood liberals that would have screwed up the movie if it was left to them.  These guys even wanted to put in a love scene between bruce and the french chick but the director changed all that.

Screen Shots
[url]http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2245174&uid=1111953[/url] if the link works.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a scene about 2/3's of the way through, where the black guy on the SEAL team says to Willis "These are my people too. For all those years we've had to stand down or stand by, you're doing the right thing."

And Willis replies "For our sins."

What sins?
White guilt?
Can you say reparations?

Freakin' liberals....

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
A very dull movie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Watched it this morning....I liked it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
They were dreaming about Delta.  Delta doesn't even make documentaries, let alone movies.  You can catch any one of the two dozen SEAL documentaries on History or Discovery at any time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
With apologies to those of you who liked the movie, I thought it sucked. He shoulda punched her snippy foreign ass and carried her suspended on a pole. As for the priests and nuns, well, just another tough day on the job.

And where the hell were they carrying all that ammo!?

This was as believable as GI Jane.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This was as believable as GI Jane.
View Quote

Isn't that appropriate.  Mr and Mrs Bruce Willis (I believe they were still married when she did GI Jane) both totally screwing with Special Operations Forces credibility.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I really liked it. Bruce had his Aimpoint apparently on backwards near the beginning, at the hosptial/church, but it appeared to be on correctly for the rest of the movie.

The react to ambush and fallback drill looked pretty true-to-life and well done (except for the flaming Hollywood frag grenades) from my standpoint.

They had a Former SEAL advisor for this who approved all of the scenes (or so he claimed), and apprently had the Navy's help, so things weren't allowed to venture too far off track.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
paused it to many times because of lack of interest...it was dull..some cool parts...some..a couple...well maybe one
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know what ya'll are whining about (those that point out every flaw in a movie).  I watch a movie for entertainment.  Thats it.  Just like I play video games for entertainment.  I don't care how "unrealistic" they are.  They're supposed to be!  If I want realism i'll watch a documentery and check their sources.

I was over reading some reviews on a couple first person shooters today and they commented on a lot of "realism flaws".  Pissed me off.

EDIT:  forgot to add another comment my brain gets ahead of my typing sometimes
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Watched it on DVD last night. IT SUCKED BIG TIME !!! The idea that a SEAL team would be sent in to rescue one doctor (and not an American one at that) doesn't pass the straight-face test. Any SEALs here wanna put me straight ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
some of you people need to go to [url]http://www.movie-mistakes.com[/url]

there they encourage you to point out every single screw-up of every single movie.  i've submitted before............
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked the end of GI Jane, when they were actually on the mission.  Come on, it's just a movie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't care much for it.  The ending was way to drippy for me.  Once they entered the town with the Steyr trucks in it, they should've loaded everyone in them and headed for the border.  If she didn't want to go, they should've left her there.  She's not an American taxpayer, she's not worth saving!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
saw it at the theater once...

thats enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw again today... pales in comparison to Black Hawk Down, BUT it does have some nice inspirational cleavage and some swell toys!!! :`)
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Throughout the movie Willis would call for air support and his Captain always said the airspace was "too hot" I'm no expert but I didn't see or hear any anti-aircraft fire at all.  Most of the jungle scenes were so quiet you could hear a starvation victim go into rigor-mortis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know what ya'll are whining about (those that point out every flaw in a movie). I watch a movie for entertainment. Thats it. Just like I play video games for entertainment. I don't care how "unrealistic" they are. They're supposed to be! If I want realism i'll watch a documentery and check their sources.

I was over reading some reviews on a couple first person shooters today and they commented on a lot of "realism flaws". Pissed me off.
View Quote

Well said.  Was a decent movie.  Although I would agree that I would have just knocked her and the others out and carried them out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Saw again today... pales in comparison to Black Hawk Down, BUT it does have some [b]nice inspirational cleavage[/b] and some swell toys!!! :`)
View Quote

Guess I will watch it after all...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Throughout the movie Willis would call for air support and his Captain always said the airspace was "too hot" I'm no expert but I didn't see or hear any anti-aircraft fire at all.  [red]Most of the jungle scenes were so quiet you could hear a starvation victim go into rigor-mortis.[/red]
View Quote

This has to be the quote of the month. Fantastic!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throughout the movie Willis would call for air support and his Captain always said the airspace was "too hot" I'm no expert but I didn't see or hear any anti-aircraft fire at all.  [red]Most of the jungle scenes were so quiet you could hear a starvation victim go into rigor-mortis.[/red]
View Quote

This has to be the quote of the month. Fantastic!
View Quote

The airspace was TOO hot from the Dr.'s CLEAVAGE!!! [peep]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I took the "for our sins" comment to mean for all the times they were unable to act to stop innocents from being killed because they weren't allowed to.

Now the "these are my people" comment was truly liberal in nature.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Movie.
Documentary.

One is factual.
One is fiction.

One is for education.
One is for entertainment.

You decide which. [:)]
View Quote

That's Right! [headbang]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Watched it on DVD last night. IT SUCKED BIG TIME !!! The idea that a SEAL team would be sent in to rescue one doctor (and not an American one at that) doesn't pass the straight-face test. Any SEALs here wanna put me straight ?
View Quote

And they stooped so low to call a SEAL officer a derelict. They could've made the movie interesting in other ways than calling him a derelict. If it was me, I'd have the chopper shot down before they get to it, so you would have the rest of the movie, but without the big blinking DERELICT tag over Bruce's head.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow...now I don't know if I should watch it or not.  So many on both sides of the coin.

Oh well...it'll be a "borrow the DVD from a friend" kind of movie I guess.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There's a scene about 2/3's of the way through, where the black guy on the SEAL team says to Willis "These are my people too. For all those years we've had to stand down or stand by, you're doing the right thing."

What sins?
White guilt?
Can you say reparations?

Freakin' liberals....

View Quote

Actually, I think it was more along the lines of...

(black SEAL)"we have done some fucked up shit to people before, maybe we can sleep better at night if we help these people out"

(BW)"yeah, we have sinned (fucked people up) lets help them"

I really dont think that Willis would stand for such hippie bullshit from what I have heard about him.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw this movie in the theater and liked it so much that I bought it the day it came out on DVD. You guys that are complaining about it are way too damn picky, if ya don't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I thought it was pretty realistic but I watch it for entertainment, not realism. Like Vulcan59 said, if you want realism watch a documentary. If you've got the DVD then watch the making of, it tells you what the movie is really about. If you listened to it, its not really about Dr. Kendricks at all, and yes she is an american even if by marriage. Its about doing the right thing, even when it seems impossible. Its a moral issue, if I dont do something these people will die. Its about how F***ed up people can be. Ill get off my horse now but for whoever's thinking about watching the movie, watch it, if you dont like it, then oh well, go watch Black Hawk Down again and make yourself feel better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Watch the Trailers and you will see all the action in the movie.

Was half tempted to turn off the movie as it was getting boring, but each scene with the Dr was showing more and more cleavage and continue to watch in the hopes a boob may pop out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Deep in the jungle of Africa and Bruce tells this native kid to "Cowboy Up".
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought that it was unrealistic in that in real-life they'd have tossed her ass on the chopper and that would have been it.  I liked the part where they run across that village being ravaged and set things right.  I will but the movie for sure.  One thing clearly cemented in my mind after watching it was FUCK AFRICA, I'll never go there for any reason.  My mother-in-law made the comment that while slavery was an injustice to those who had to be slaves and endure it, any black person who thinks America sucks and wants to go back to Africa is crazy.  Life is pretty cheap in the rest of the world.  One more reason to be thankful we live in the USA
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Once they were safely airborne aboard the chopper (sometime within the first 10 minutes) shouldn't Willis' character have zero pull on where the chopper goes? Isn't the pilot in charge of transport?

Don't know how the Navy does it, but any time I was in charge of anything on land, once I got a ride by anything I was no longer in charge - whoever commanded my ride was now in charge of my sorry ass unless ordered otherwise. So, once aboard the chopper Willis' part of the mission is completed and he just has to sit back and enjoy the ride as the pilot does his job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
The movie had it ups and downs.  Too much political and moral BSing from a Seal Team commander to be believeable.  Nice toys though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And where the hell were they carrying all that ammo!?
View Quote

In the same pouch where Hollywood keeps the 2,000 round Subgun mags, the 25 shot revolvers and the 6 pound man-portable miniguns with integral 20,000 round backpack magazines.
Any further questions?
Oh.......I forgot to mention the 2 megaton handgrenades!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#42]
The Sound in the movie was OUTSTANDING; but I was disappointed in the story and attention to detail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Once they were safely airborne aboard the chopper (sometime within the first 10 minutes) shouldn't Willis' character have zero pull on where the chopper goes? Isn't the pilot in charge of transport?
View Quote

He was also a +/-45 year old 2nd Lt.  

Overall I thought the movie was good compared to other war movies.  At least it wasn't 1 man against a whole army.  The plot didn't make sense.  Typical Hollywood, bad guys die immediately from 1 shot and the good guys require multiple wounds before even bleeding.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

He was also a +/-45 year old 2nd Lt.
View Quote
Well, I can see why he never advanced past 2/Lt...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What sins?
White guilt?
Can you say reparations?

Freakin' liberals....

View Quote

I thought about this when I saw it but I took it to mean for all the times they had to leave people behind that they knew would die.

When they did their missions obviously they couldn't save every civilian and innocent bystander, or maybe there were times that they could have but didn't because it was not the mission.

I thought the movie was pretty good even with all the flaws.  I probably liked it because I was expecting it to be total crap after reading the reviews here.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Clllllllleeeeeeeaaaavage![naughty]

I thought the doctor was pretty hot myself!@ I would have been her huckleberry and saved all the hu'two's for her....Then maybe when we got back on ship![naughty] I woould have been greatly rewarded...... [sex]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Deep in the jungle of Africa and Bruce tells this native kid to "Cowboy Up".
View Quote

The President's son, Arthur, was edjumacated at our Harvard ergo, he knows "Cowboy Up".
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Rented it three days ago and was glad I didn't pay the full price to see it at the theater, which is my way of judging whether a movie is REALLY good-like "We Were Soldiers". Movie rates "OK for a rental" in gamesnipers book.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Saw it last night.  It was ok.  Willis played a lieutenant, which in the Navy is an O-3, right?  He's pushing 50.

The doctor had lots of cleavage, looked like a model.

The funniest part was Willis's commander talking to him from the loud flight deck of the carrier on a handheld radio, instead of, say, the communications center.  But I guess that wouldn't be as cool or dramatic as seeing FA-18's landing in the background.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#50]
It was OK for a rental.

I liked the use of the MK23 SOCOM pistols!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top