Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 11:00:34 AM EDT
they want me to sign a pre sign I want to join but want to know is there anything I should make sure is in my pre sign?  and it seems that its not that important cause you can get out even after you sign the "pre sign"
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's not important, than there is no reason for you to sign.  If they pressure you to sign, then obviously it is really important to them and they are lying to you.

Never sign anything untill you are ready.  That goes for the Army or any other contract.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
There's got to be a catch... I don't see a point to a pre-sign if it dosen't commit you to anything...  Like I don't think if you decide not to you will get a 'dishonorable discharge' (you were never charged to begin with), but my main belief is that it is a psychological commitment, and that a study shows that you feel you have already signed something, and you will want/feel obligated... you already seem certain enough

So just ask, what is the benefit of the pre-sign?  (they might just tell you that it proves to them you are committed or something).  Make sure to ask if there is any detriment...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are doing DEP you will raise your hand and take the oath twice. Once when you sign up for DEP and once again when you are ready to go. You can easily back out before the second time (which is when you finally ship off from MEPS)

Edited to add:
The cool thing about the "pre-signing" in DEP is that all your DEP time counts as IRR time. I was DEP for 9 months before I physically shipped out. When I was done with my 4 active years I only had 3 years 3 months IRR time to pay back
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
so even if I sign the pre sign and quit i won't get a dishonorable?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing that means ANYTHING is what you sign the day you go to MEPS. Sign it if you want. They cant hold you to it until you do it at MEPS.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Offspring has it right.  You can change your mind up until you go to MEPs the final time and take the oath.  That's the day that you'll go to Basic.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless it has changed, you can even get out all the way till the end of basic. You will pay dearly everyday till they get the paperwork to get you out, but there were people dropping out into the 6th or 7th week. Some medical, some psyc, some because they say they could not deal with all the orders and yelling, but all got discharges like they were never in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
sounds like their 'pre sign' is a warm body quota count so a recruiter can keep his plush post. Fuck'em.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
sounds like their 'pre sign' is a warm body quota count so a recruiter can keep his plush post. Fuck'em.
View Quote

Recruiting duty is hardly plush.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unless it has changed, you can even get out all the way till the end of basic. You will pay dearly everyday till they get the paperwork to get you out, but there were people dropping out into the 6th or 7th week. Some medical, some psyc, some because they say they could not deal with all the orders and yelling, but all got discharges like they were never in.
View Quote

why would you drop out after your 7th week??
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so even if I sign the pre sign and quit i won't get a dishonorable?
View Quote

Dude, you can quit in the middle of basic training and not get a dishonorable - dishonorables and bad conduct discharges require a court martial.

Even after signing the REAL contract, you have 180 days where you will most likely be separated under Chapt 11 - which means your service will be uncharacterized - essentially it will be as if you had never enlisted. You would have to do some crazy shit to get ANY kind of characterized discharge this early in the game.

Whatever you do, check in here to confirm what you are told by the recruiters / MEPS guys. There are too many knowedgable people here to not use this resource.

The Army knows that most kids think they know everything and will not utilize such outside resources - it's your life, do what you feel is right.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Sign, join, go, have fun, get an education, see places most of your current friends won't get to see.

It will seem like forever at first, but looking back when it's done, you will have had one hell of a time.

Trust me, been there, done it.

U.S. Army, '87-'91.
67T10
Fort Carson, CO
Fort Clayton, PANAMA
Soto Cano Airbase, HONDURAS
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]
What you've been told so far is true.  When you go to MEPS and swear in, that's when it's a for sure deal, the pre-sign is so that they get their body count.  It does help with your obligated service time after your four years if you don't reenlist.  So, it's really up to you.  There's no NEED, but before you sign ANYTHING, make sure you get in writing anything and everything you wanted, otherwise, you won't get it.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[red]...make sure you get in writing anything and everything you wanted, otherwise, you won't get it.[/red]  
View Quote

That sums it all up right there.

CHRIS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top