Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 6:36:28 AM EDT
I think the fact they exist is a shameless and blatant attempt by the music industry to sell records through "controversy". I can almost hear them now in the board room - what can we do to stand out, give an edge to our music? I know, let's take a couple of teenage girls who can't sing, make them lovers, and stir up the stuffy right-wingers, and the kids will love 'em.

I've heard their music. Um, nothing special. couple of screeching teen girls with heavy synthesizer instrumentals.

?

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
MMmmm.... kissing girls.  I saw one of their videos this morning where they had a bunch of girls running around in little school girl outfits and in the end they all stripped down to their underwear.  yummy.  I think they sang a song too.

-Nuke

oh, btw, I'd hit it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Ignore them and they will go away.  Show any indignation, and you give them free advertising, plus the "they pissed someone off, let's by their album," effect.  

You are probably right about the board room.  The entertainment industry will sink as low as possible to make a buck.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, consider the fact that they've been an underground hit in Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania and other former Soviet states for about two years - long before anyone in the US ever heard of them. That would seem to pull the rug completely out from under your contention that they were conjured up just to sell records here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife has their album and it is actually pretty good for "dance" music. As for the lesbian kissing girls that never wear bras and flaunt it in public... WOO HOO!

Edited to say: I'd hit it!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
About as real as Milli Vanilli.

[img]http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/musik/fotogalerien/Bands__international/tatu2/01__tatu,property=Bild.jpg[/img]

Sort of cute, though, in a quaint Soviet way.

[img]http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/musik/fotogalerien/Bands__international/tatu2/03__tatu,property=Bild.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/musik/fotogalerien/Bands__international/Tatu/01__tatu,property=Bild.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Okie dokie...  prepackaged teen angst anyone?

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, there was music? Sorry, I must have been distracted. Considering all the boys kissing boys bands that have come out of Europe in the last 25 years, I find these two to be at least entertaining to watch. Their, we're here, we're queer crap is of course annoying, but they eventually shut up and start making out so that's ok. I think the Art elite are trying to distance themselves from the stinking masses so they can claim their art is somehow more artistic than the mere mundane could produce or understand like what happened during the Edwardian period (I may have my time table wrong). Bohemian. Yeah. It's just cheap beer to me. They're cute though. I understand where they're coming from too. I like making out with cute chicks too. It's the having sex with the source of the smell in guys bathroom I will never be able to comprehend. Skunks give off that smell as a warning, I figure we guys do to. "DON"T GO NEAR THERE!" Some peoples survival instincts are just FUBAR I guess.
But EmptyVee says its cool to be Queer or Bi so all the little Lambs must follow the flock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, consider the fact that they've been an underground hit in Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania and other former Soviet states for about two years - long before anyone in the US ever heard of them. That would seem to pull the rug completely out from under your contention that they were conjured up just to sell records here.
View Quote

Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania...I think any woman who doesn't look too masculine, or isn't too busy trying to get herself married out of the country...will be a pop hit if you give her a microphone. [:D]

I do admit they are very cute, and the titilation factor is high, but I've heard their music. Too high-pitched, too many songs about "Look at us, we're lesbians"...

I bought their CD at Wherehouse music months ago right before they got any airplay in the US. I'm just now getting around to posting about it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd hit it, and hit it and hit it and hit it.....[sex]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Underage?  Kinda gross.  The fact that they've been around a couple of years already is even worse.

I'd rather not see anyones sexuality on stage whether they be gay or straight.  Play some good music or disappear.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I was gonna post this topic , but never got around to it, they are both 18 now, so I'd hit them , especially the redhead.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the redhead has a slight edge to the other, but the brunette is pretty cute, too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
They like guys too, so they are no lesbians :)

Oh I just have a thing for redheads too :)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Members: Lena Katina (the redhead) and Julia Volkova (the brunette)
Born: Lena: October 4, 1984; Julia: February 20, 1985
Status: They're a couple. ... They have boyfriends. ... Who knows?
Fun facts: -- t.A.T.u. is a Russian acronym for "This girl loves that girl."
-- Julia was kicked out of a children's singing group for "obscene behavior and corrupting other singers."
-- Lena has a pet chow-chow named Blankeria.
Quote: "People love us or hate us, but nobody thinks nothing about us." -- Lena

Fabricated girl bands are a dime a dozen, so what's an impresario to do to make his creation stand out? Make 'em lesbians. And underage ones at that.

Ivan Shapovalov, a Russian filmmaker and -- get this -- child psychologist, hit upon this idea in 1999 and proceeded to seek out his young starlets-to-be. The girls who fit the bill (from a pool of 500 wannabes) were Moscow-born Julia Volkova and Lena Katina, then 15 and 16 years old, who had sung together previously in the children's group Neposedi.

In 2000 the newly formed t.A.T.u. released their first single, "Ya Soshla S Uma" ("I've Lost My Mind"), in Russia, which was as successful as it was controversial, owing in no small part to its risque video.

The song tells of a girl's excitement and emotional turmoil at being in love with another girl. The video, meanwhile, put its money where its mouth was, depicting Lena and Julia, dressed in schoolgirl outfits, kissing in the rain, in the throes of lesbian anguish.

Viewers' reactions to the clip ranged from being incensed at the graphic display of underage lesbian lovin' to thinking the girl-girl action was hot, hot, hot. Sales of their debut album, "200 km/h in the Wrong Lane," skyrocketed, reaching platinum status, and the accompanying video was named MTV Russia's Video of the Year. t.A.T.u. had hit a nerve, prompting an English-language version of their hit song, titled "All the Things She Said."

An entree into the European music scene followed in 2002, with "All the Things She Said" debuting in the number one spot on the U.K. singles chart, in addition to topping several other international charts. A mostly English-language version of "200 km/h" hit U.S. record stores in December 2002. Their sexy single continues to climb the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and the accompanying video made the top 10 on MTV's "Total Request Live." These girls have arrived.

While the bulk of t.A.T.u.'s success is built upon their image, the music industry is taking them seriously. Their songs have gotten mostly positive reviews from music critics, who say the duo's pop electronica creations are certainly worth a listen. And the English-language version of their album was produced by none other than recording heavyweight Trevor Horn, whose list of credits includes works by Seal, Grace Jones and Pet Shop Boys.

With t.A.T.u.'s mere existence being such a premeditated fabrication, one can't help but wonder if their Sapphic relationship is for real. The girls themselves -- perhaps wise to the publicity ploy of "keep 'em guessing" -- have given vague, even conflicting information, on the subject. One quote finds them describing their relationship as "something more than just friendship toward each other," implying a romantic or sexual component. Yet when a reporter asked outright whether the girls are actually lovers, Julia replied noncommittally: "Maybe and maybe not. You know, we're not going to give a straight answer." Pardon the pun.

But recent revelations seem to strip them of their lesbian cred. In February, Russian newspapers photographed Lena and Julia in a Moscow nightclub with their boyfriends, whom the girls later dismissed as merely their bodyguards. The press remains unconvinced. And it's unlikely that their "outing" as touchy-feely heterosexual girlfriends will hurt their record sales in this image-driven market.

Whether t.A.T.u. will be permanent or only temporary remains to be seen, but perhaps it's enough that these video vixens have earned a spot in music history as pop's first "out" lesbian duo -- and a successful one to boot. So successful, in fact, that Shopovalov is shopping around for t.A.T.u. version 2.0.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania...I think any woman who doesn't look too masculine, or isn't too busy trying to get herself married out of the country...will be a pop hit if you give her a microphone. [:D]
View Quote

That's what I thought too, before I went to Bulgaria. That place is like the lost planet of the Supermodels or something. I can't wait to go back! Some major-leage gorgeous women, and all very, very, nice too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Underage lesbian duos? My specialty. [duff man]Oh, Yeah.[/duff man]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Most modern music sucks, this is no exception
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Why is a guy named "clean_cut" asking about them?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
IBTL  [LOL]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why is a guy named "clean_cut" asking about them?
View Quote

"Clean_cut" in MY case refers more to my affinity for blades, than my moral fortitude. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If their lesbians I'll kiss Janet Reno's......
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#23]
They aren't exceptionally attractive or even remotely talented.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They aren't exceptionally attractive or even remotely talented.
View Quote

But they're underage lesbians! Hot hot hot!(Get it, now?) [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#25]
haha... I know.  Just saying that I don't buy into it and don't give a crap about them [8D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#26]
mmmmmmmmmmmm, carpet
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
mmmmmmmmmmmm, carpet
View Quote

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13678[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I had never heard of them before now - does that mean I'm getting old?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top