Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 7:06:39 PM EDT
Apperently there was a home invasion the other night in my area.

Four white males broke into a 47 year old guys house in the middle of the night, ran into his room and proceeded to assault and rob him. This was two miles from my house.

Mind you, this is a rural area. This shit doesn't happen out here too fucking often. But when it does, it usually happens in spurts.

I always keep a handgun on my bedstand, and an M4gery under the bed. But never loaded. Figured I can lock and load them fast enough.

Not taking that chance for a few nights now.

My .45 is cocked and locked.

Figure if they're busting in that fast, I need every second I can get.

I'm also leaving all the outside lights on all night, so I'm not extremely worried. I'm not making myself an easy target.

But not taking any chances either.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful if you have kids - you wouldn't want to groggily start pumping out rounds in the middle of the night because your son needed to use the bathroom.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to never keep my guns loaded , then I had a similar incident...

It then became the constant state of affairs... I usually keep them condition 2 ,loaded mag empty chamber....

t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good thinking.  

Make sure you keep a phone (preferably cellular) by the bed as well.

If you need to dial 911 remember--DON'T HANG UP!  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
As a fellow missourian I have to ask where the hell was this at? Anywhere near St. Charles? I got to get the AK out now. (the AR has jammed a few times, the AK never has)
Good luck Shamus, hope someone catches the bastards soon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This is happening almost once a week here in Hawaii.  The neighborhood i live in seems to get it more than others too.  I live in downtown Honolulu.

I just make sure i don't leave anything loaded or accessable when i'm not home.  You wouldn't want someone coming in while you're out and then having the upper hand when you walked in on em.

Keep safe,
Stone
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep my G17 fully loaded with one in the pipe at all times next to my nightstand.  My G30 is in the same condition and its either on my hip or in the glove box of my jeep.

What good is a gun if it isn't loaded?

I don't have any kids and my bedroom door is dead bolted at all times when I'm not home.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a fellow missourian I have to ask where the hell was this at? Anywhere near St. Charles? I got to get the AK out now. (the AR has jammed a few times, the AK never has)
Good luck Shamus, hope someone catches the bastards soon.
View Quote

I live just outside of Harrisburg, which is just a little north west of the Finger Lakes conservation range. Sort of out in the sticks. Which is what makes this even more suprising. It amazes me that somebody would be stupid enough to do a "hot" home invasion around here, considering how many people have dogs and guns. But apperently this guy either wasn't armed, or didn't have a gun close enough.

I'm not going to make that same mistake.

And no, I don't have kids, so no worries there.

I've always kept my pistols with loaded mag, and empty chamber. But now I'll be keeping a round in the chamber. At least for the next week or so.

And I think I'll start taking one to work with me as well, that way I can have one on me when I enter the house in the evening as well.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I usually keep them condition 2 ,loaded mag empty chamber....
View Quote

I keep the H&K loaded and go with mk_ultra's setup - though I have two loaded mags (via the MagCinch), empty chamber.  Not a good idea to keep one in the chamber on an AR with a floating firing pin, or so the story goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top