Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 3:16:44 PM EDT
I hit a Deer Saturday Night in IL. I was in a rental. I have Met-Life Auto Ins. I forgot to ask if it goes against me and increases my rates. Figure will ask here and contact the agent tomorrow anyway.
Worse part is I was in a High Assigned Risk and just about to get out. Thanks to my wife’s fantastic record. It was really a problem getting insurance at a rate we where able to afford. Therefore, I had a $2,000 Deductible. Now I have to pay that out before the insurance picks up on the rest of it.
I did take out the SLI insurance when I rented, but not the PDW. I also put it on a Platinum credit card so I am told the loss of the ability to rent it should be picked up. At that price, they should have let me take the dam Deer home to stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't matter. If it was on a platinum card and you waived their insurance(the rental place,) they should cover it all. Call them first not your insurance.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually in IL you could have kept the deer. The strikee has first dibs on the deer, except the DNR can keep the head if its a trophy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Andrewh..I called them and they are sending me the forms...I am under the impression that the credit card only pays for loss of usage. That it does not pay for collision. I hope I am wrong, and they pick-up the body damage also along with the time the car cannot be rented.

I am looking to sell one or two of my guns to get some of the money to pay for this. I hate to do it for that reason. At the same time my wife had, an accident with the Jeep ran into the back of a truck. My accident does not count, but my wife des. I was just about to get lower insurance rates.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]
[rofl2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
epmedic - as a NY licensed insurance agent, I can tell you that basically you may be OK.  Luckily, the credit card company MIGHT help out.  Check out their benefits for cardholders.  Often they have a clause where they will insure you if you use their card for rentals.  You will still have to file with your insurance company, pay your Comprehensive deductible (contact with animals does not come under collision) and then submit the claim to the credit card company.  It might take a while to get them to pay it, but that's the route I would go.

Luckily, since this is a Comprehensive claim and not an at-fault collision claim, it shouldn't hurt you much on your Insurance score.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Greywolf2112...Thanks So I am still going to get hit for that $2000.00 Deductible? Then what you are saying maybe the credit card will pay me back somewhere down the road.

I tell you almost 2AM and I am sitting up trying to figure how it is going to have it paid off. I know it is going to have to be a $50.00/month deal. Dam if only the Twin Tower Fund or Red Cross came through things would be ok. I refuse to sell my rifles at this point to deal with paying this off. I know something bigger down the road might happen. For that to be used in case of a real emergency. Thanks again, that is why I say there is always a consequence for a life you take. It also did not make me feel good killing this DEER. I tried every firkin thing to avoid it. I cannot understand what I did in my past life that allows my Karma to be like this.
All I got to keep saying and remembering is G-d is good all the time. That he or she has not taken me this far to let me down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top