Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 8:43:12 AM EDT
Anyone tried this mod?  I installed it last night and downloaded a buttload of maps.  Couldn't manage to get on a server, so I started one up with some bots to get a feel for the game.

My opinion:  IT'S BADASS!  It's cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet!  

Very realistic in many aspects.  I love that you have to manually reload, and when you reload, you lose whatever was in the previous mag.  When you get hit, if you don't die, you'll bleed to death if you don't bandage yourself.  You also start out with a primary and secondary weapon, as well as a pistol and some 'nades.  

What I didn't like, is that they took out the M4 and put in something similar, the ZM LR300ML.  They're also working on putting in the IMI Negev, a beltfed 5.56 light machinegun.  (looks kinda like a Minime to me)  I can't wait to go beltfed!

Hit locations are realistic.. body shots with armor don't do much, but headshots kill like a mofo!

Anyone running this?  Opinions?  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not running UT, but True Combat is a similar concept.  It is a better mod in my opinion, but fewer people play it.

Most features are the same.  Weight is roughly modeled, as is armor, damage and fatigue.  Tactical reloads can be done, but you lose the remaining ammo.  Injury is location specific.  Accuracy is weapon specific.  Weapons include:

G36
G3
M4
AK47
MP5
MP5-10mm
MAC 10
PSG-1
M76
Sig 229
.50 AE Desert Eagle
HK Mk23 w/wo silencer
Saiga 12
SPAS 15
Remington SR8 in .338 Lapua

The one totally kickass thing that is different is that you can use the 'tactical mode'.  Tactical mode is where you aim by raising the rifle to your shoulder and sight it by using the iron sights.  Totally awesome!

This is much better in my opinion than just running around with the crosshair and a gun at your side.

True Combat 1.0 is supposed to come out tomorrow, and I'm really excited about downloading it.

There are good things about UT, but to a gun guy you will probably find True Combat to be a little better.  5.56 zips right through body armor, but 9mm doesn't etc...

Try it!  The current version is very good, but I am excited for version 1.0!

Edited:  Almost forgot, if you are interested, [url]http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~q3t/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Torf,

SWEEEEEET.  

I'll try to find it when I get home and start the download!  I like the sound of the tactical mode... actually using the sights instead of some crosshair on the screen... that will be sweet!  

Edit:
Yeah, Torf, the 1.0 version looks like it will be downloadable tomorrow!  And I'm OFF tomorrow!  SWEEET.  

(if you do manage to see me in any games, I go by Designated Marksman)

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, UT is kinda pissing me off.  I can't connect to any servers. Keeps saying my CD Key is invalid.  I do have a factory copy of Q III and a valid CD key, and have checked and doublechecked it, but most servers still say it's invalid.  That, or I don't have the map they're running.  

I downloaded v1.0 of True Combat, and played around with some bots, and I agree... IT KICKS ASS!!!  I love the iron sights option, with the lack of the crosshair.  The movement is quite realistic.  I think this is possibly the most realistic mod I've ever seen.  

The ONE thing that rubs me the wrong way, is who the heck goes into combat with only ONE magazine for each gun???  You run out of ammo in like three seconds!  Then you have to scavenge, and those stupid bots are always dying out in the middle, which gets you killed when you run for their ammo! I can't find a way to tweak it.  

Also can't find any servers to play on.  I'll give it some time to catch on, but I think it has promise.  

I think any ARFCOM member that has QIII NEEDS to get this mod!!  You'll LOVE it!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
BTT

Everyone needs to check out this game mod!  If you like realistic combat games, this is the shiznit.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
D/Ling the mod right now any good sites to get maps from? Like a big zip file or something? I hate D/Ling maps with the game seems to take forever
:EDIT forgot to add maps for the True Combat mod
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Damnit, I can't find my freakin QuakeIII CD or anything anymore.  Now I'm hosed for playing these, gotta have a valid key to play online, bah.

Infiltration for UT is very nice though, best mod I've played.  Iron sight aiming too...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
THOF, I haven't found any yet.  The stock maps are pretty cool.  If you start a server and throw a few bots in, you can run around in them and check them out.  

I agree about the maps, tho... it's better to just get a buttload of them in one fell swoop.  I found a few map sites for the Urban Terror mod, but can't connect to UT servers... they don't like my CD Key, even though I have a factory copy of QIII and a valid key.  [:(]

I think True Combat isn't as popular yet.  I got on Gamespy and couldn't find a server running it at all.  However, it could be because the new version just came out on Friday.

AR15Fan, is Infiltration a mod for Unreal Tournament??  I have a factory copy of UT GOTY, and could go for some mods on that.  I might have to check that one out, too!

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Mathew_Q, when you get to the equipment select screen, under the weapon you choose, are 4 boxes...if you click on the appropriate one, you can add additional magazines, sights on some things, additional grenades...it's not very intuitive the way they've done it.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Infiltration is cool...but I wish there was an option to turn off the "weapon bob"...several of my friends actually get sick trying to play that game hehehe...I got a little queesy one night after about 5 straight hours myself.  

BTW, for UT fans, there are new versions of Tactical Ops (I think it's the retail version for free), and Strike Force out as well.  If you like CS, check out the Punk Ass Fraggers (PAF) Splash pack...it's on Fileplanet.  They've updated the interface, weapons, added new maps, and put some really good muzzle flash in to boot.  And, there's a new version of Day of Defeat out too, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, it's very nicely done.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top