Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 5:26:56 AM EDT
Some of you are celebrating that it will expire with nothing to take its place and some say there will be a much more restrictive ban.

Which is the more probable case.  What are the odds of making a national ban and collection on all military rifles.  I will NOT give up my M1s!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
[beathorse]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[beathorse]
View Quote

mega dito.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What's to be confused about?  I'm planning:

1. Keep the pressure on my folks in Congress.

2. Celebrate in Sep '04 by shooting up as much ammo as I can gather.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's to be confused about?  I'm planning:

1. Keep the pressure on my folks in Congress.

2. Celebrate in Sep '04 by shooting up as much ammo as I can gather.
View Quote

[b]Keep the pressure on my folks in Congress.[/b]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
There will not likely be a much more restrictive ban.  I think the worse case would be an ammending of the '94 to remove the sunset clause.  Thus it would never expire.  The SCOTUS would have to eventually hear a case rendering it unconsitutional.

While I'd never really want to assume any further risk of loosing our 2nd ammendment rights, a part of me wants them to kick a really draconian ban around.  You know, calling all optically sighted rifles sniper rifles, etc...  This should shock the "Duck, Deer, and Skeet" crew into being believers.  

PS: You know who I mean by "Duck, Deer, and Skeet", so don't think I'm attacking all firearms enthusiasts involved in those hobbies.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have increased the pressure so much my Senators have written me back to please stop, they get the point, they wont vote for AWBs or anything like it.  I doubled my efforts.  Postage is getting a little steep at 6 hand written letters a week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I persaonlly think the probability of another similar Federal/national AWB is pretty small when the current law expires is pretty small. Back when the first ban was enacted, Bill Clinton had to twist a lot of arms to vote in favor of the bill, and a lot of those folks are gone because of it. Remember then House Speaker Tom Foley of Washington? And they only made it just barely. Since then the Dems attributed gun control to the loss of Al Gores home state, and even Bill Clinton admitted that gun control play a large role in many elections since enactment of the '94 AWB.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
This is [b]VERY SIMPLE:[/b]  As long as the Republican Party remains in the majority in congress and a Republican sits in the Oval Office...the current ban will sunset and no new ban will be passed into law.

See?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't be too quick to say that it will never happen.  At this time, the 5th and 9th courts, have conflicting decisions directly related to the 2nd.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to bring this subject up again.  It just amazes me that there is such a broad prediction.  

One person tells me to bury all my M1s and ARs and another tells me that pre-bans are going to be (relatively) worthless.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry to bring this subject up again.  It just amazes me that there is such a broad prediction.  

One person tells me to bury all my M1s and ARs and another tells me that pre-bans are going to be (relatively) worthless.
View Quote

Unless Bush doesn't want a second term the ban will sunset. Ok this is how it is. Bush supports the CURRENT BAN, so any attempt to pass another ban will not float unless that ban is the same as the CURRENT BAN. So far both bills that deal with banning AWs are worse and may or may not ever see the light of the house and senate, and even if they do there is not enough support to get them passed.

Oh and the reason why some say it will be extended and some say it won't is weay simple. Some of use are optimists some are pesamists.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[beathorse]
View Quote

mega dito.
View Quote

Add me to the Amen Chorus on this one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top