BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 5:17:30 AM EDT
[url]http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/3280484p-3310005c.html [/url]

CRC
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully a hint of things to come.  GO ALASKA!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish all states were this way.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Had to see it to belive it, good, all should be like that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
AWESOME!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Now isn't that welcome news!  I'll still renew my CHP for the instant check thing.

Gotta take exception to the Daily News plug.  I hate that liberal rag.  They sent a new editor up from Sacramento so it is not as biased as it used to be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
sob
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish all states were this way.
View Quote

yep!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Color me surprised!

Officially, the number of states who trust their citizenry enough to not even bother with permits [b]has doubled!![/b]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I guess I agree somewhat with the Republican (at least what we see in the article) I'ld like to see a basic safety and legal responsibility training requirement.  There are an awful lot of people that have never had any training of any kind.  The argument that folks out in the boonies can't find classes is bunk.  If they are really that isolated they either grew up with guns without too many accidents or the local PD should have time to give a brief briefing in between the there's a moose on my house calls.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
[snip] "I'm presumed to be a responsible citizen until proven otherwise," Croft said.[snip]

Wow, there is a radical thought for today's world.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
PaDanby,

Got any data to back up your assertions?  I thought not, just more liberal drivel.

Go away, troll.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
When the last mayor was elected, the FIRST thing he did was go to the city police chief and ordered him to sign off on any class III applicants who qualified.  Before, he only did it for friends or friends-of-friends.  I kind of rubbed my eyes when I read that.  Sent the liberals and newspapers into hysteria.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'ld like to see a basic safety and legal responsibility training requirement
View Quote

Isn't that what is in effect in most states now? You have to take a "safety" course and then pay a "registration" fee to get a license saying you took the course. Now giving a safety course in schools just as drivers ed is taught would be a good idea. Hell, if the government is so worried about gun violence and safety, then teach kids young like they do with drugs and driving.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Wish our Democrap was like this gem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The argument that folks out in the boonies can't find classes is bunk.  If they are really that isolated they either grew up with guns without too many accidents or the local PD should have time to give a brief briefing in between the there's a moose on my house calls.
View Quote

So you're saying you think people who have grown up with guns all their lives need mandatory training?  Trust me, some of these places are incredibly isolated.  The permits are moot, since the nearest Trooper is 100 miles away and needs to fly in. So why even bother with the permit business?

The city of Anchorage will probably create some sort of restrictions, since we just elected a big liberal mayor this April.

BTW, even when you needed a permit to carry concealed, there's an exemption that you can carry without a permit on trails where you think there's a chance you'll encounter potentially dangerous wildlife like moose or bears.  I often carry when I go biking on city park trails or walk through the woods at night.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The argument that folks out in the boonies can't find classes is bunk.  If they are really that isolated they either grew up with guns without too many accidents or the local PD should have time to give a brief briefing in between the there's a moose on my house calls.
View Quote

Guess you've never lived in the Alaskan Bush.  What am I supposed to do if the nearest "PD" is several hours away?  Or if the "PD" can only get to my locale via plane?  Such towns do exist all over Alaska.  Some places don't even have gun dealers:  you have to fly to one of the other towns.  I'm using "PD" because, depending on locale, it could be a PD, a Sherriff, a State Trooper, a Game Warden or even the Coast Guard.  

Besides, having had to pass the NRA course to get my CCW I wonder the validity of such courses.  We talked, we watched a video, we took an open book test (which was self graded).  Then we had to take 10 shots (5 ea with revolver and automatic) and just hit the paper from 20 feet.  Not the target - the paper.  There was one woman who needed almost 20 rounds in order to put one on paper.  She never did hit anything better than the 3 ring, yet she passsed.  I don't see how such lax class sessions makes anyone a better/more responsible gun owner.  I know I'm certainly not any more qualified having sat in that class for 8 hours.

Edited to note that raven beat me to the same point.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Really neat. This means no permit to carry handguns is needed in any of the 50 states, right? Right?

[b]The Constitution of the United States of America[/b]

Article IV

[i]Section 1[/i]. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.
[i]Section 2[/i]. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When the last mayor was elected, the FIRST thing he did was go to the city police chief and ordered him to sign off on any class III applicants who qualified.  Before, he only did it for friends or friends-of-friends.  I kind of rubbed my eyes when I read that.  Sent the liberals and newspapers into hysteria.
View Quote

I just wanted to make it clear you were talking about George Weurch, and not that slimeball-weasel-photoradar-ATUsaleblocking Mark Begich.  

Disgusting.  I can't believe there is another democrat as brazen as the slickster.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]
North! North to Alaska! [^]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't recall my history, but I think the legislature would rather have done it this way 10 years ago if it was not for Tony Knowles.  

Some of the silliness in the old law came from it being lifted almost verbatim from another state's CHP law.

Anyone remember real history, not the Daily News version of Alaska history?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]
That is so freakin cool!

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, if the government is so worried about gun violence and safety, then teach kids young like they do with drugs and driving.
View Quote

OUTSTANDING!, Did everyone hear this?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, if the government is so worried about gun violence and safety, then teach kids young like they do with drugs and driving.
View Quote

View Quote

[hijack mode]

This sounds like a good idea initially; however, I feel this is a [b]horrible[/b] idea.  Being that I'm only twenty years old, I've had the "privilege" of going through the modern "drug program" and driver’s education mandated by the government.  As with all things governmental, both programs are worthless flops.

The drug program uses worthless scare tactics, which have the complete opposite effect on the children the programs are attempting to brain wash.  Kids often use drugs because it feels rebellious.  These "scary" and "evil" substances fit well into the mindset of a rebellious youth.  The government also finds it appropriate to lie and give false impressions about drugs instead of using the truth and facts for education.

As for drivers ed, the program has not been revised since the '70s.  All the techniques taught deal with traffic problems of the past.  The data given in these classes relates to 30 year old cars.

What’s my point?  Government re-education programs move too slowly and can not evolve fast enough to meet modern technological advances.  Also, the standards and curriculum of these classes are dictated by bias self serving politicians.  Governments have [i]never[/i] made good teachers.

[/hijack mode]

This story is great news for 2nd amendment rights.  The logic of "innocent until proven guilty" has almost left our society today, and I am more than suprized to see a democrat bring forth the idea.  Hopefully, the trend of modern 2nd amendment awareness continues!

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe some of the shall issue states like S.D. will figure it out, & follow suit with Alaska. I hope so, as I feel the fees, & classes are a serious infringement on our constitutional rights, & keeps a lot of folks who really need the protection afforded by a ccp affords, like the inner city people who can't afford the classes, or fees required to protect their lives from the scum so often present in their neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Great news, this is what Ohio needs also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Since we're hyped up on AK, check out our new Alaska Machine Gun Association web page:

[url]http://www.amga.net/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
[jealousy]I hate you guys.[/jealousy]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[jealousy]I hate you guys.[/jealousy]
View Quote

Ditto!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I was born in AK. I go back every now and then. I notice the Alaskan attitude towards guns is very relaxed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I had Hunter Education Safty when i was in school. This included firearm safty. I think teaching Firearm or Hunter Education safty in school is a great idea whether the govt. flubs it or not. The exposure to at least some information is better then none IMHO.

The FFA (Future Farmers of America) was the organization that ran the Hunter Education Safty class.

Hmmm....Alaska....

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Woah, this is great news. When I'm 21 I guess I'll start carrying. My dad said it was a mixed blessing. Maybe some whackos will carry too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
...Maybe some whackos will carry too.
View Quote

Many thinks many of the "whackos" would have been carrying regardless.  At least this way, you'll be able to legally carry without the hassle of the application process.  When you're 21 of course.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
AWESOME. It's nice to hear some good news once in a while.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

[hijack mode]

This sounds like a good idea initially; however, I feel this is a [b]horrible[/b] idea.  Being that I'm only twenty years old, I've had the "privilege" of going through the modern "drug program" and driver’s education mandated by the government.  As with all things governmental, both programs are worthless flops.

The drug program uses worthless scare tactics, which have the complete opposite effect on the children the programs are attempting to brain wash.  Kids often use drugs because it feels rebellious.  These "scary" and "evil" substances fit well into the mindset of a rebellious youth.  The government also finds it appropriate to lie and give false impressions about drugs instead of using the truth and facts for education.

As for drivers ed, the program has not been revised since the '70s.  All the techniques taught deal with traffic problems of the past.  The data given in these classes relates to 30 year old cars.

What’s my point?  Government re-education programs move too slowly and can not evolve fast enough to meet modern technological advances.  Also, the standards and curriculum of these classes are dictated by bias self serving politicians.  Governments have [i]never[/i] made good teachers.

[/hijack mode]

This story is great news for 2nd amendment rights.  The logic of "innocent until proven guilty" has almost left our society today, and I am more than suprized to see a democrat bring forth the idea.  Hopefully, the trend of modern 2nd amendment awareness continues!

- Matt
View Quote

Matt,

You're exactly right, but I think R-32 & Offspring were trying to highlight your exact same point (i.e., government training programs to combat drugs and car accidents are failures, as would be any similar gun training program) you made during your "rant."

-ARgue
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
"I object to the government putting a precondition on that constitutional right (to carry a weapon). I'm presumed to be a responsible citizen until proven otherwise," Croft said.

"constitutional right"?[brick]

[red]"The sole purpose of the Second Amendment was to place an enumerated restraint on the powers of the federal government concerning the existing right of the people to keep and bear arms."[/red]

[url]http://www.sierratimes.com/03/06/11/greenslade.htm[/url]

[blue]Way to go Alaska[/blue][beer]

[green]49 to go.[/green][50]

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#41]
No, not 49 to go, Vermont already was like this.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
This is awesome.  This can be the next goal for the states that already allow concealed carry with a permit - repeal the requirement for a permit.  Allow the permit program to stay in place for those citizens who want to carry in other states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top