Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 4:36:01 PM EDT
I know I know, this is general discussion blah blah

anyway

what kind of mount/optic would you (or do you) use on your FAL?

I like the red dot I've got on an SKS, but it doesn't seem like one of those would be any good past 150 yards or so.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
definately not a trilux.
I've got one mounted on my DSA flat top. It's way too far forward to be useful.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
btw, i have super shitty eyes, so a little magnification is good

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Before you ask what kind of optic for any rifle you have to state how much are you willing to spend.

All of the BAC equipped ACOG lines offer a 7.62 recticle model. Including the 5.5x TA55C, which would give you distance as far as a .308 can reasonably throw.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
ya, forgot about the $$$

I could spend around $400

I've also got one of the aramlite one piece scope ring devices that can be scavanged for this.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For 400 bucks, I am thinking one of the IOR (Romanian) scopes. Maybe the 5x?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a long range scope.  The FAL is capable of reaching out deep.  If you put a red dot then you might as well stay with an AR.

IMHO, the scope that you put on it is going to take a beating.  There is a a lot of recoil with a FAL.  My Simmons WhiteTail gave up and committed suicide at the last Great Southern Freedom Shoot.  The internals just crapped out. Hey, I knew it was a cheap scope but I didn't think that I'd get only 80 rounds out of it before it perished.

Also get some decent rings.  I got to watch my scope jump off my FAL because I bought some cheaper than dirt rings.  Locktite can only do so much.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want the best, I'd recommend a Trijicon ACOG TA11 in a GRSC-modified DSA mount.  It even allows the use of your irons for backup!

[url]www.grsc.com/ACOGSM1.jpg[/url]

[url]www.grsc.com/Acogsm3.JPG[/url]

[url]www.grsc.com/acog.html[/url]

It would be nearly impossible to best this setup.

-Troy
View Quote

that would probably cost more than the rifle!

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want the best, I'd recommend a Trijicon ACOG TA11 in a GRSC-modified DSA mount.  It even allows the use of your irons for backup!

[url]www.grsc.com/ACOGSM1.jpg[/url]

[url]www.grsc.com/Acogsm3.JPG[/url]

View Quote

Niiiice. Tell me, how much did it cost to modify the DSA mount? I've got one myself and am looking for a true "SHTF" (ie, combat) optic system for my DSA FAL. I bought a Nikon Buckmasters 4-14.5x40mm scope awhile ago but am not convinced it is a good "battle-type" setup.

The ACOG rig looks promising.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
swfa is listing the acogs for $1000+

damn, is that just military orders sucking up all of the available stock and driving up the prices? any chance they'll come down?

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
a GRSC-modified DSA mount.  
-Troy
View Quote

Troy, is that a 3.5X  ACOG ??

Plenty of eye relief ??

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

-Troy
View Quote

It [b]IS[/b] impossible to beat it. I swear by this setup and it is DEAD on the money!

Save your cash and get this. You wont waste your money, and it will always be dead on!

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
GRSC sells the mount already modified, for $115.  The mount starts out as the standard DSA mount, which IMO is the best mount on the market.

The TA11 is a 3.5 power ACOG with BAC, and has one of the longest eye reliefs of all of the ACOGs.  IMO, it's perfect for a FAL, which given the good but not great accuracy of most standard FALs, gives the rifle an effective range of 500-600m, while still being quick for close-in shots due to the BAC feature.  The ACOG is also military tough, and will have no trouble standing up to a FAL.
-Troy
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
I better start saving for this setup!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top