Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 12:27:18 PM EDT
Posted here and GFD, a great article from Gabriel Suarez, of Suarez Int'l.
I remembered an article about a Marlin 'Tactical' rifle, and it was on his site. We've e-mailed each other about it and he dug it up from an archive somewhere for all of us to enjoy. If he finds the picture, that'd be even better!
Anyway, here's the link to the page:

[url]http://www.suarezinternational.com/leveraction.html[/url]

Check it out.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Linkey no workey.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
WORKS NOW.

I had to type in the url /url to get it.  
When I copied it from the MarlinTalk forum, it wouldn't work...?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Great article; thanks for the link. I've been considering a lever-action for my next rifle, and this article is very thorough. I was trying to figure out if .30-30 was the way to go, of if there was something more valuable to consider in a bigger bore. I sure wouldn't want to use a .45-70 for a "tactical" (whatever the hell that means these days) application. I might go with a .357, though.

WRT the link, when you copy and paste links from other boards, I have noticed that the result is commonly "[b]http ://http ://[/b]www.whatever_the_link_is.com."
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish someone would make a lever-gun in .223.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably never going to happen.  Tube fed lever actions are pretty much restricted to cartridges with blunt or rounded noses.  Pointy bullets in a tube magazine are not good, as you end up with bullet tips against primers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The Marlin 1894P in .44Mag makes an excellent base gun for a self defencse carbine. Holds more ammo than the .30-30 and the .44 Mag 300Gn XTP loads would be better for dangerous game too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

A Browning BLR with the detachable box magazine would be viable.
If they would make it with a 10-round mag...!
Let's e-mail 'em.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I too love the little Marlin carbines and would have no problem at all in using one of these as a trunk gun. In fact, I often use one for that very purpose. It doesn't have to be a semi-auto with a 30 rd mag to be effective. I have also gone back to the lever action 30-30 for deer hunting. It hits like a Mack truck and with the thick forests and brush around here, 100 yards is likely as far as you'll get to shoot anyway in most cases. The 30-30 has been around a long time and will be around for many more years to come.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thomas_A_Anderson Browning used to make a 223 lever action but stopped producing it because of lack of interest.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like that old television series  "THE RIFLEMAN".
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I too love the little Marlin carbines and would have no problem at all in using one of these as a trunk gun. In fact, I often use one for that very purpose. It doesn't have to be a semi-auto with a 30 rd mag to be effective. I have also gone back to the lever action 30-30 for deer hunting. It hits like a Mack truck and with the thick forests and brush around here, 100 yards is likely as far as you'll get to shoot anyway in most cases. The 30-30 has been around a long time and will be around for many more years to come.
View Quote

I've got a 336 myself. Love it's looks and handling. But "hits like a Mack truck"? Please... The .30/30 is a good woods cartridge and adequate for deer, but it is not a spectacular game getter. It's attraction is in the rifles that chamber it, not it's terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.wildwestguns.com[/url]

[img]http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Bushwacker2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Bushwackerassemb.jpg[/img]

With a stock, that top one would be SWEET [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
a lever action in .458 socom sounds pretty cool.
View Quote

That has been available in lever rifles since 1881.

.45/70 Springfield.

Ballistics are the same, or maybe tilted slightly to the old cartridge.

While this is a good thing to point out to the poor people of California and New Jersey and other unfree states. I am not going to give up my AR for any of these.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Sure you could make a lever gun in .223 but it would have to be like the old Savage(rotary mag) or like the new Ruger!

No lever tube fed mags like (winchester,marlin)as a pointed bullet don't work well in a tube fed mag(possible detionation when sharply dropped or bumped hard from the back-side)

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting article.

However, it just goes to prove the old axiom:

It's not the rifle that is dangerous, it is the man using it.  

I would personally have no trouble going into a self defense situation with a double shotgun (O/U or SxS), or even a T-C Contender if that was all I had available at the time.  PROVIDED (and that's a BIG IF) I had trained with the gun and knew it's limitations and capabilities.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
its just that is soooo damn hard to bump-fire a lever action [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top