Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 12:26:21 PM EDT
Great link to watch on the Honda Accord..
[url]http://home.attbi.com/~bernhard36/honda-ad.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That video is cool, I read somewhere that it took some 600+ takes to get right.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty good marketing vid.......
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a great ad, but the assertion that no photoshoppery/computer animation was used is complete BS - unless Honda engineers have come up with a way to defy certain laws of physics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a great ad, but the assertion that no photoshoppery/computer animation was used is complete BS - unless Honda engineers have come up with a way to defy certain laws of physics.
View Quote

Which laws exactly?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
uhhhh, gravity

watch the commercial a few times and you'll see what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The wheels were weighted with screws and bolts, then balanced very carefully.  Also, they were angled so they wouldn't be going directly up the ramp, softening the angle they needed to go up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I still believe the team used PLENTY of computer aids to make that commerical.  

Why?  Mostly because of the parts dealing with the battery.  Has anyone ever bridged the connections on a car battery?  You don't get a little "fizz" noise and a small blue spark.  You get a fucking "CRACK!" and a huge violent spark.  I'm talking powerful enough to throw wrenches.  Trust me. . .I know.

Secondly, the part with the speakers.  Do anyone really believe that could be done as shown?  

I have no problem believing some of the commercial was real, and I think the whole creation was a [i]great[/i] idea.  However, I have a very strong believe that there was some computer help in making it.

- Matt

EDIT:  I guess I don't know for a fact, but I still have a [i]very[/i] hard time believing this was not CG at least some.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
However, I know for a [b]fact[/b] that there was some computer help in making it.

- Matt
View Quote

Please provide evidence thereof.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, I know for a [b]fact[/b] that there was some computer help in making it.

- Matt
View Quote

Please provide evidence thereof.
View Quote

Exactly. Put up or shut up. I've seen several articles detailing how it was done. What is this proof you have?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The wheels were weighted with screws and bolts, then balanced very carefully.  Also, they were angled so they wouldn't be going directly up the ramp, softening the angle they needed to go up.
View Quote

So nuts and bolts will make a tire roll uphill, come to a complete stop, pause for moment, then resume its uphill roll?

Like I said....it's a great ad, and it's serving its purpose....we're talking about it. But they wouldn't spend all that time shooting takes if they could fake it easily.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I don't know for a fact, and I edited my post to reflect such; however, I'd say that those of you who believe it was all done for real how about as much proof as I do that it was not.

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Also there are several threads on this before. One has  alink to a story about the creators of this commercial. They had already made a short film with another rube-goldberg type contraption doing a simple task. So they've done this before. Why would honda hire someone who has experience making complex machines out of strange parts to create a CG commercial?

Man, it's funny when people post "I know this" when they have absolutely nothing except their opinions to back it up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
nope there was no computer or photoshopping performed,
if anyone has had a chance to see the movie
"the way things work"
by the same directors, It is usually shown in art exhibits.

I cannot prove or disprove, but the original is famous for its camera work and the rube-goldberg design.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a dup. thread. The last one was up on the board sometime in the past four weeks. All of the info and discussions about fake/real were hashed out to the nth degree in it. As far as I can tell this was the real deal from start to stop. Look it up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://bsdeluxe.com/post/293.php[/url]

HA!  Told you there was some computer animation!  At least these people seem to think so.  Apparently it wasn't at the parts I thought it would be; nevertheless, it's there and I win. [:D]

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url]http://bsdeluxe.com/post/293.php[/url]

HA!  Told you there was some computer animation!  At least these people seem to think so.  Apparently it wasn't at the parts I thought it would be; nevertheless, it's there and I win. [:D]

- Matt
View Quote

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/page.cfm?objectid=12844132&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=TAKE%20606

"The full advert is divided in two - because the studio couldn't fit in all the kit at once. Just one second of computer generation is used to link the two halves - when an exhaust pipe rolls across the floor."  (The first I've ever seen a mention of CG used)

So they linked together two authentic takes with a cg animation because the studio was too small. A far cry from what you've claimed. "[b]I still believe the team used PLENTY of computer aids to make that commerical. [/b]"

You don't win. You lose.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn some of yall are testy today [:p].  You'd think I said it sucked or something.  

I hold this commercial in high reguard as it is both inventive and original.  Miles beyond most current marketing standards.

But touting it as fully filmed, even if the computer animation was apparently only a small part of it, isn't fully correct.  Also, I pretty damn sure the sound was added and or modified afterward, but I'm not sure if we are even debating that point.

In the end, I'm not really sure who to believe about this one.  I [i]am[/i] positive that if I filmed this commercial I'd want everyone to [b]think[/b] I did it all by hand. . .

- Matt

Edit:  had to fix the smilie
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
So let's see. The people that say it's real have Honda's [i]marketing department's[/i] claims as evidence?

It must be real then. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn some of yall are testy today [:p].  You'd think I said it sucked or something.  
View Quote

No, you didn't say it sucked, but you said it was something that it wasn't without any proof. You had your feelings and you presented them as gospel. That's something a brainwashed liberal or a child does. It doesn't reflect well on you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So let's see. The people that say it's real have Honda's [i]marketing department's[/i] claims as evidence?

It must be real then. [rolleyes]
View Quote

And what do you have to back up your side?

Jack squat? I thought so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, you didn't say it sucked, but you said it was something that it wasn't without any proof. You had your feelings and you presented them as gospel. That's something a brainwashed liberal or a child does. It doesn't reflect well on you.
View Quote

Blindly believing those that have every reason to lie to you is something sheeple do.  Go get sheared.

I've seen clips from [i]The Way Things Go[/i], and the actions and interactions in that film are FAR more believable.

But alas, around here we must not question the authority. . .

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Blindly believing those that have every reason to lie to you is something sheeple do.  Go get sheared.

I've seen clips from [i]The Way Things Go[/i], and the actions and interactions in that film are FAR more believable.

But alas, around here we must not question the authority. . .

- Matt
View Quote

Hah. Calling me a sheep. Funny.

You still don't see it, do you? You have nothing to base your opinion on, but you insist it was fact. That's the problem I have with what you are doing. You didn't start off saying "I think they used some computer animation",  you said it WAS computer animation. And you had nothing to base it on. It's like saying "all guns are bad" and expecting people to believe youjust because you say so.

So I have two sides to weigh here: The honda side, which has several news stories out in different outlets. If they are proven to be wrong, i.e., lying, they stand to lose tens of millions of dollars, maybe more, in a scandal ("Honda lied about commercial", "Honda commercial a fraud").

Then we have you, whose big loss would be, well, nothing, because you'd probably still go around presenting your opinions as facts. And that's what I can't stand. I don't accept it from anti gunners or liberals, and I'm not going to be a hypocrite and accept it when someone here does it. Just because it was posted by a member here doesn't make passing off opinion as gospel truth acceptable. It has to be backed up by something concrete.

If you can't understand why what you did is bad then you may be beyond hope.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, all this talk prompted me to take another hard look at the video.

[url]http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/beamreel.php?dzjgijxl[/url]

You can watch the fully commerical in Quicktime from that site.  I would like everyone to take a careful at the powerwindow part.  I must have watched it about twenty times, and still for the life of me can not see how the window retracted through that piece of wood.  There's a slit you say?  Go back and watch it again.  The black line is the actuator for the power window.  I'd also like to know how the tube knew to stop on the switch (it does NOT touch the window), and then go when the window finally went through the wood.  Another thing is the way the tube deaccelerates.  It has no reason to SLOW down before hitting the acutator, but it does.

After watching the film some more, I'm still dead certain the speaker part is CG also.  The "bass" speakers vibrate up and down a lot.  I've used speakers out side their boxes, and I know they don't jump around.  The cone inside the speaker vibrates, but the speaker doesn't jump.  Also, when the musics starts the speakers move up and down on the white cylinders they're mounted on.  I know for a FACT that in order for those speakers to work, there must be a magnet on the back of them.  Those magnets typically don't have holes in them.  I challenge anyone here to find a way to mount a speaker so that it can oscillate on a poll through it's magnet and cone.

I really hate to rip this piece of art appart because that isn't the point of the work; however, I still defend my opinion that large parts were CGed.

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Frist off, I think the sound has been re-recorded.  

Quoted:
I'd also like to know how the tube knew to stop on the switch (it does NOT touch the window), and then go when the window finally went through the wood.  Another thing is the way the tube deaccelerates.  It has no reason to SLOW down before hitting the acutator, but it does.
View Quote

The strip is an electromagnet. Once the window is down, it trips the current to the magnet, releasing the tube to continue its journey.

I know for a FACT that in order for those speakers to work, there must be a magnet on the back of them.  Those magnets typically don't have holes in them.  I challenge anyone here to find a way to mount a speaker so that it can oscillate on a poll through it's magnet and cone.
View Quote

There's that troublesome fact word again.  

Placing a speaker on a flexible backing with a string tightening the fabric would make the speakers bounce a bit with no other support on the speaker.  Think of a trampoline.  now put a moving object on it.  

I really hate to rip this piece of art appart because that isn't the point of the work; however, I still defend my opinion that large parts were CGed.
View Quote

We'll agree to disagree.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hah. Calling me a sheep. Funny.

You still don't see it, do you? You have nothing to base your opinion on, but you insist it was fact. That's the problem I have with what you are doing. You didn't start off saying "I think they used some computer animation",  you said it WAS computer animation. And you had nothing to base it on. It's like saying "all guns are bad" and expecting people to believe youjust because you say so.

So I have two sides to weigh here: The honda side, which has several news stories out in different outlets. If they are proven to be wrong, i.e., lying, they stand to lose tens of millions of dollars, maybe more, in a scandal ("Honda lied about commercial", "Honda commercial a fraud").

Then we have you, whose big loss would be, well, nothing, because you'd probably still go around presenting your opinions as facts. And that's what I can't stand. I don't accept it from anti gunners or liberals, and I'm not going to be a hypocrite and accept it when someone here does it. Just because it was posted by a member here doesn't make passing off opinion as gospel truth acceptable. It has to be backed up by something concrete.

If you can't understand why what you did is bad then you may be beyond hope.
View Quote

I'll agree using the word fact in my first post was wrong, which is why I went back and edited it out along with making a post saying I should have worded my post differently.  Is that not enough for you?  Would you like me to grovel at your feet Lord bastiat Master of Internet Opinion?  Puh-lease. . .

Other than that I chose the words "believe" and "opinion".  I really don't see where you're coming off thinking I was trying to deceive people, and in fact, it is really insulting.  If you can prove me wrong I will gladly state that I was mistaken.  What kind of person do you think I am?  I really can not believe the comments I've provoked out of you by stating my opinion about the movie.  I believe [i]you're[/i] the one that may be beyond hope.

ProfessorEvil,

That was a good point about the electromagnet.  That would cause the sudden acieration seen before stopping.  Yet I still can't seem to fathom how the board goes through the window?  Watch it again carefully.  It just GOES though.  Not only that the window rolls down while the board is sticking through it.  Also, I maintain that the speaker set up shown in the video more than likely wouldn't work.  I understand your trampoline theory; however, do you see a fabric in the film?  Secondly, if there was a fabric that's not there now, it must have been CGed out of the picture.  Regardless, the speakers would not even make sound, which is what causes them to move, with a pole shoved through their magnet and cone area.  In my previous post I chose the word fact on purpose. I have serious doubts they could make that speaker scene work.  How much sound do you think it would take to make the windshield bounce up and down like that?  

To add fuel to the fire. . .I read in an article that when the commercial development showed the clip to the Honda big wigs it did not make a big impression.  Until the team told them it was "real."  Obviously the upper management team was not directly in control of the filming or decision making on the project.  The filming team had every reason to slightly embellish their baby to make it more appeasing to their superiors.  If that's what it took to make it big, then you damn well better believe the development team in going to tell everyone it was real.  I mean after all, the only people that will really care are over opinionated message board goers like me.

- Matt

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If you can find a decent copy of the commercial, there is a slight cut in the board just at the window.

it is there, just difficult to see.  

I'm sure there are other ways to make speakers move, that was just one example.  

Everything there can be done without CG, though.  Whether it was or not in this case...well...it could have happened considering the people involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top