Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 7:18:02 AM EDT
Here's something I've been thinking.  Tell me if there is a hole in my logic.

This country started out with a weak central government.  In fact, for the central gov. to get tax money, it had to ask for voluntary "contributions" from the States.  If the States wanted to, they could tell the central gov. to go pound salt, "You're not getting any money from us!"

Well, we all know where that went.  The central gov. passed the 13th(?) ammendment and soon was able to directly tax all citizens.  It started out with modest taxes that would only affect the "super rich" who didn't "need all that money."

As I see it, this is the same position the UN is in right now.  The UN has to go around asking for money from the member countries.  Said countries can tell the UN to take a hike if they wish.  Now, recently, the UN has proposed "global taxes" on things like firearms sales and the like.  Once the UN gets the power to directly tax, it won't be long before they say they're not getting enough money and they start trying to levy more taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, who knows?!?!

Is the relationship of the US to the UN the same as the relationship of the States to the fedgov back in our history?  As it stands now, the States have pretty much lost all their soverignty.  Will the USA follow the same path and lose their sovereignty to the UN?

It looks to me like the exact same process is at work here, only on a larger scale.  Is my analogy off, or am I thinking on the right track?

Fuck the UN!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
FUCK THE UN
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here's something I've been thinking.  Tell me if there is a hole in my logic.

This country started out with a weak central government.  In fact, for the central gov. to get tax money, it had to ask for voluntary "contributions" from the States.  If the States wanted to, they could tell the central gov. to go pound salt, "You're not getting any money from us!"

Well, we all know where that went.  The central gov. passed the 13th(?) ammendment and soon was able to directly tax all citizens.  It started out with modest taxes that would only affect the "super rich" who didn't "need all that money."

As I see it, this is the same position the UN is in right now.  The UN has to go around asking for money from the member countries.  Said countries can tell the UN to take a hike if they wish.  Now, recently, the UN has proposed "global taxes" on things like firearms sales and the like.  Once the UN gets the power to directly tax, it won't be long before they say they're not getting enough money and they start trying to levy more taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, who knows?!?!

Is the relationship of the US to the UN the same as the relationship of the States to the fedgov back in our history?  As it stands now, the States have pretty much lost all their soverignty.  Will the USA follow the same path and lose their sovereignty to the UN?

It looks to me like the exact same process is at work here, only on a larger scale.  Is my analogy off, or am I thinking on the right track?

Fuck the UN!

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Well Nick look at the mini un called the EU. One currency, a court that has jurismydicktion over all countries in limited cases now but sure to be more, and in some cases they set trading standards and terrifs and all that shit. The UN is ment to be a world governmental body I really don't think your that far off. I however dson't think America will be pulled into the BS,The government may but the people will not go for that, well I for one wouldn't. In the words of Citabria7GCBC "FUCK THE UN"
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I also FUCK THE UN.

EDIT: It was the [url=http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxvi.html]16th amendment[/url].  The 13th abolished slavery.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated previously "Fuck the UN!"
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]

No, your analogy is not off and your right. F*&% the UN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top