Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 5:41:22 AM EDT
... by a barn swallow.

I was mowing the back yard yesterday evening right before it rained. There was a barn swallow that was, well, for lack of a better term, doing strafing runs on me. Fortunately, he didn't "fire." However, he did get very bold for a while, getting so close that I had to bob and weave to keep him from flying into my face! It was kind of neat for a while, but after a couple of minutes, it just became annoying. I've seen swallows harrass cats, dogs and other birds in this manner, but never a guy on a lawn tractor. Anyone else ever get harrassed by one of these little peckers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Around here it's the mocking birds.  When they have a nest they become very protective.  I've had the same thing happen to me while doing yard work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Ride with a tennis racket.  Consider it concealed carry...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Prolly a nest or young nearby...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes.

Ride with a tennis racket.  Consider it concealed carry...
View Quote

If I'd had a tennis racket with me last night, I'd be posting pictures of strained barn swallow this morning. Next time...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife and I was at San Diego's Sea World, and the seagulls buzzed her to make her drop the french fries, so the gulls can get it and eat it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one particular barn swallow that got to buzzing me everytime I was walking anywhere in the area. I finally had to have a little sporting clays practice.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
lmao, this is good shit!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was stationed in the Aleutian islands, I strayed a little too close to a nest.  The little one inside the nest let out a squawk and the next thing I knew I was getting "strafed" by it's mother. I ended up having to crawl/run out of the area all the while getting swooped upon.

Oh, it wasn't a swallow though.  It was a bald eagle.  Man, those talons looked really sharp too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Two mated swallows once built a nest in the top hollow pipe supporting my basketball hoop and backboard.

Brave little bastards tried to play defense when I was shootin hoops. Their bombing runs would just skim my head.

Never underestimate a boy and his BB gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the damn things build nests everywhere on my property every year.  Until they start paying my mortgage, they have to stay the f**k outta my way or their status is downgraded to "moving target".
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
DzlBenz,

I cut grass for a living, I see this all the time.

Barn Swallows are after the insects you are stirring up with the lawnmower.

They will get close but will never attack you.

I've had as many as 40 of them circling me and competing for the bugs. It was very interesting to watch these birds fly so fast and in such close quarters without running into each other.

Now when I show up at this particular place they recognize my truck/trailer and come out and circle the truck, they know it's fixin to be dinner time.

I think they love me. [:I]

I won't kill them, they eat bugs..........
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Barn Swallows are after the insects you are stirring up with the lawnmower.
View Quote

That, I believe. I just moved into this place last month, and suffice to say that lawn insect control was not a high priority with the previous owner. During the past few weeks, the flying insects were basically limited to mosquitoes and June bugs, but now with the onset of warmer temperatures and higher humidity, I've got bugs like fog.

The swallow is really quite a graceful bird in flight and interesting to watch - except when he's coming at my head!

They will get close but will never attack you.
View Quote
Well, I may have to make a preemptive strike anyway.

I think they love me. [:I]
View Quote
Awwww...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I may have to make a preemptive strike anyway.
View Quote

Kill them if you must, but remember they are natures own pest control.

God will make more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kill them if you must, but remember they are natures own pest control.

God will make more.
View Quote

Noted. Thanks for the objective view. If being buzzed while mowing once a week is the worst that ever happens to me, I should be able to live with that.

I think rather than arming myself with a tennis racquet next time, I will try to arm myself with a video camera. Of course, I'll probably end up taping myself being run over by my own mower after falling off. Coming soon to a Darwin Awards ceremony near you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#15]
We have Purple Martins that eat the bugs while I am mowing.  They don't get too close though.  It is pretty obvious that they aren't attacking.  Barn Swallows may be different.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
[b]. There was a barn swallow that was, well, for lack of a better term, doing strafing runs on me.[/b]

you should mow a hayfield with them around!

when mowing, you are kicking thousands of bugs out of the grass and into the air. those swallows do high speed runs with their mouth open...scooping up bugs as they go.

i've had over a hundred of them 'dive bombing' my allis-chalmers as i brush hog the fields...flying between the tractor wheels and between the fenders and me!

they are very quick and agile birds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. This bird was definitely flying in a very precise fashion, and with, apparently, a very minimal amount of effort. It would be neat to se some slow-motion footage of one of these strafing runs to see the minute changes the bird makes to his "control surfaces" during the flight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
as bvm aluded to, you should see a whole flock of them move thru the air with the precision of the blue angels.

absolutey amazing to watch them dive, turn, split up, regroup around a tractor moving at 5-8 mph. sometimes they will follow me around the field for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour.

they must like the taste of haybugs!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in the back yard playing under a tree when i was a kid growing up in Florida.

There was a sparrow nest in that tree and the mother bird was flying down to the ground, picking up rocks with her beak and flying back up in the tree and dropping the rocks on me.  I couldn't beleive it.

Stone
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Never had probs w/swallows or martins, but was nicknamed the pied piper of robins by an old lady whose lawn I mowed for extra $...  I'd be doing the pattern followed by 15 or more robins looking for the moths and bugs that my mower smoked out.

Also used to cut hay and watch the hawks circle overhead on the breeze.  We cut in inward circles and the smaller the middle part (and the bigger the open ground' got the more entertaining it was.  Those hawks would get mice, snakes, rabbits, etc. by doing a power dive just like in the nature shows.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]
side topic,

I grew up by a very large lake (~7mix30mi) in MidWest farm country.  When the famers would plow or rake they would be followed by hundreds of seagulls.

It takes many hits of 7+1/2 shot to take a flying gull down.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[b]. There was a barn swallow that was, well, for lack of a better term, doing strafing runs on me.[/b]

you should mow a hayfield with them around!

when mowing, you are kicking thousands of bugs out of the grass and into the air. those swallows do high speed runs with their mouth open...scooping up bugs as they go.

i've had over a hundred of them 'dive bombing' my allis-chalmers as i brush hog the fields...flying between the tractor wheels and between the fenders and me!

View Quote

Damn son you should be swathing or disk cutting that hay,rakeing and the bailing it!  

Whats up with the brush hog?

Bob[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top