Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 4:31:12 AM EDT
Is this child endangerment, or what?

[img]http://www.ar15-convention.com/brc-pix/6yr_mp5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming that you are asking a serious question, the answer is, "Yes".

[u]Everyone[/u] that shoots my firearms has to wear eye protection and ear protection.

BTW, I think it's great to introduce kids to a great sport like firearms.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes to the eye protection.

Looks like that young fellow is enjoying emptying that magazine...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the children were being killed by madmen "spraying from the hip."  Whats this a CHILD spraying from the hip, OH THE HUMANITY!!!! BAN CHILDREN....ITS FOR THE...um CHILDREN!!!

On edit:
ALWAYS Wear eye protection

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The man is wearing eye protection.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw this pic floating around on the internet and thought that it was amusing....

I am a huge proponent of introducing kids to the sport of shooting.  I personally choose to do it the "right way".  (by teaching gun safety, personal safety, etc...) [;)]

Hey -- At least the "ADULT" was protected. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Oops...  I just got an IM.

It turns out that the above activity took place at the BRC-II.  (is that really Johnny Spake? --  If it was a little GIRL, then I'd suspect it would be Tim Greene) [;)]

(they only had 10 pairs of eye protection and 14 people showed up!) [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes.  Eyes and ears protection is a must.

One freak accident and this child is handicap for life.....

Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The man is wearing eye protection.
View Quote

Yep.  You only have one set of eyes, but you can always have more kids.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's not your kid and you don't use eye protection expect to lose a lawsuit when an accident happens.  If it is your kid expect to feel like sh*t your boy is now missing an eye.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, the child in the picture is blind and has glass eyes now...because of the last time he was shooting without eye protection.

The man in the picture is merely making sure the child hits the target.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Ahhh.. Nothing better to ensure the 7-8 year old child develops proper marksmanship techniques than to give him an MP5 to light off from the hip. [rolleyes]

Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but I think the subguns should reserved until [i]AT LEAST[/i] puberty. [headbang]

And yes, no shooting glasses on the boy is just flat out stupid.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
[b][size=6][red]YES![/red][/size=6][/b]

Clear enough? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ahhh.. Nothing better to ensure the 7-8 year old child develops proper marksmanship techniques than to give him an MP5 to light off from the hip. [rolleyes]

Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but I think the subguns should reserved until [i]AT LEAST[/i] puberty. [headbang]
View Quote

C'mon, Merril! You're just jealous it's not YOU who's being taught subgun at that age!

Lord knows, I AM! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
What's wrong with shooting the thing off the hip?  It was his rental, and his magazine.  Let him enjoy it the best he can?

It isn't like people renting class III actually need to hit all their targets in order to have fun.

As for the glasses thing, sure.  He should have been wearing them, but is there anyone here that has NEVER shot a gun without glasses?  Shooting a 9mm MP5 from the hip is probably one of the least risky things to shoot.

When I was young I used to ride around in the back of a pickup truck, there was no such thing as baby seats or seatbelt laws.  We used to climb trees and build treehouses without sides.  We used to light M-80s and swim in ponds without lifeguards.

I'd also have to say that there weren't 10 pairs of glasses for 14 people.  All 16 of us there brought our own!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Whenever I shoot, even CO2 and air power pellet guns I INSIST that all shooters wear eye protection to protect from flying particles. I have special child-size eye protectors. You want to teach children to start thinking safety at very early age; that way when they grow-up and your aren't around they know the drill, and you don't have to worry about them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Being the problem child that I was, I am continuing to kinda go against the grain...

I dont wear- eye protection, seat belts, bicycle helmets....If you want to wear them, you can. As for my kids, seat belts yes, eye/bike, no.

I want my kids to be bright enough to think on their own AND careful and cautious, AND not just be a sheep. I dont want them doing things because everyone else does it. This whole bicycle helmet thing was something I didnt see much of back east, come to Seattle and every fairy and their Mother (read Father) wears it. Not me.

If you guys are that concerned with safety, why dont you go turn in your guns. Accidents do indeed happen and guns can cause them.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oops...  I just got an IM.

It turns out that the above activity took place at the BRC-II.  (is that really Johnny Spake? --  If it was a little GIRL, then I'd suspect it would be Tim Greene) [;)]

(they only had 10 pairs of eye protection and 14 people showed up!) [:D]
View Quote

Last night, first picture was of a little girl; this morning it's changed to a LOL.

How many did show up??  No numbers on the g-t website.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#23]
All it takes to ruin your afternoon is a bit of crap in the kids eye, then spend several hours in the ER. It would be much worse if the brass or spall hits. If you like taking unnecessary chances with anothers vision, by all means continue this.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Um, [b]CavVet[/b], the reason for eye protection is because "stuff" sometimes hits our eyes.  It's just common sense to wear them.
View Quote

So, in defense of said 'stuff', do you common sense wear them all the time or just when you see the other [s]sheep[/s] people wearing them? If your eyes are that valuable, I would think you would wear them all the time, hell even to bed.

Same with seat belts.  I resent the hell out of being told I "have to" by the nanny gov.'t, but I WEAR them because I understand the laws of physics.
View Quote

You have no problem with your beloved niece being put on a bus with a $6.00 an hour driver with [b]no seatbelt[/b], or letting her go out in public on a bicycle with semi trucks around (thats some physics for your ass), but want/need to be strapped into a car?  Cmon man....

When we take my little beloved niece shooting, we ALL wear eye/ear protection because I could not live with myself knowing she suffered harm that I could have prevented.
View Quote

I kinda make kids do it, hesitantly, for the same reason, explaining exactly why and leaving their brain intact to make their future decision making capability intact for later use.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#26]
IMHO, You wear them enough to consider them a prudent lifestyle, and not just a "sheep induced panic mode reaction"...(Damn I Wanna see the family pic with everyone in Uvex's![;)])

I think while I [s]force[/s] insist the lil ones around me to follow these rules for your stated reasons of [i]future regret[/i], I take your nanny state resistance personal, and since I didnt for all those years, flat out refuse to even consider it now. Period. I was born a free ass man, and I damn well intend on staying that way...

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#27]
No law should force one to make one's child wear eye/ear protection (To me they ALWAYS go together...) but as a responsible adult and parent, one should do it anyway, and I do.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, eye protection is a must.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Always wear eye and hearing protection!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#31]
that kid is shooting from the hip b/c the stock is extended and resting on the adult's chest to absorb recoil.

[tin foil]BTW. I heard "they" put tracking chips in eye protection so "they" can tell who the gun owners are. [/tin foil]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow.I'd never let my kids shoot any firearm without proper protection(ear and eye)

Btw, what is g-t website?

Is it a firearm discussion group?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#34]
inconvenience vs. return

Wearing shooting glasses, plugs, and a safety belt is of the least inconvenience, and I can personally say that two of the abovementioned devices have kept my from going blind or dead.

Safety glasses undoubtedly saved my vision (or kept me from going for surgery) when I had an out-of-battery with my AR. When the smoke cleared, I had sizeable brass chunks in my glasses (consequence of bounching off the walls of my range). I recently also had a .22 go out-of battery, with gas marks on my glasses.

When I was 12 or so, I was in a serious car accident.  Without restraints, I would have been thrown through the window.

As to safety belts, if the insurance companies recommend it, it's a sure thing for me to follow; they have nothing to gain from harming me. If the government mandates it, it *might* be a good thing, but in this case, I'm not going to spite them to falsely feel more free.

If you're letting a kid shoot without glasses, it is endangerment, and a crime. With firearms you WILL be injured at some point without glasses. It is a certainty.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotta chime in once more before going to work.

The eye protection is useful and prudent while shooting.  Works well at the bench grinder, too.
Or while using the WeedEater.  Many activities may not require eye protection, but it's wise to use it.

Hearing protection?  WHAT?  While shooting, hell yes.  Kids will cotton to it much quicker if they can hear you and the activity isn't painful or damaging.

Helmets while bike riding...I can see where it's a good idea, but not as good as say while motorcycling or high speed auto racing.

SEAT BELTS.
Personally, I became a believer in using LAP belts when I lost control of my car while performing a stupid 19 year-old stunt.
Slid all the way over to the passenger side of the bench seat on a left turn I took just a wee bit too fast!
I had to climb into the driver's seat and just barely regained control of the car before it would've crashed into a house.
I didn't go back and try it again with the seat belt ON...I was convinced the belt would've prevented the problem.
SHOULDER BELTS SUCK.
I hate having to use one.  I believe they can CAUSE loss of control of the vehicle by stopping movements needed to maintain control of the vehicle when they suddenly jam up.

I gotta go drive a BUS!  Seeya in Traffic. [:D]  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Btw, what is g-t website?

Is it a firearm discussion group?
View Quote

[url]Gun-Talk.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
My middle son didn't like his bike helmet, til he took a header, cracked the outer shell cand the inner liner and crushed a big section of inner liner.  Wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing it.

Responsible adults take of the kids around them.  If you want to be stupid as an adult go ahead, but don't cost me any of my money doing it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn CAR-VET look and you will see the child isn't really even triggering the gun!

Much less holding it!  And even with shooting glasses you could still get blinded!

Point is you got a problem with intellegent shooting practices?

Then looks like you and PICOLO might end up having something in common!

You are old enough to know better,the kid is not!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
YES!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top