Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,89021,00.html[/url]

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — A Danish pizzeria owner who refused service to French and German tourists because their governments didn't back the U.S.-led war in Iraq was convicted of discrimination Tuesday.

Aage Bjerre, who owns a pizzeria on western Denmark's Fanoe island, was investigated by police after he wouldn't serve Germans and French. He called them "anti-American."

In February, Bjerre displayed two homemade pictograms with bars through images of people colored in the hues of the French and German flags. He also reprinted his menus to eliminate German translations.

A Danish court fined Bjerre 5,000 kroner (U.S. $780) or said he could spend a week in jail.

"I will not pay, I'll do the time," Bjerre told The Associated Press. "I feel that I was convicted for supporting the coalition."

However, he said he would appeal the decision, despite offers from supporters to pay the fine.

"Every day I turn tourists down, but my conscience is doing fine," he said, adding he has received more than 200 letters from around the world offering support, including letters from "nearly every single state in the United States."

"That means a lot more to me than losing money," he said, adding he's lost nearly 50,000 kroner (U.S. $7,800) because of a drop in business and repairing vandalism to the shop's front.

The island, 200 miles southwest of Copenhagen is a popular spot for visitors from neighboring Germany. Of the approximately 100,000 tourists who come, some 60 percent are German. The others are mostly Scandinavians and Dutch.

[b]Damn, if I am ever in Denmark, I'll be eating here![/b]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
See not all Europeans are bad! This guy rocks!

CRC
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if he delivers.....

Seriously, he should open up a franchise here in America. He would be swamped with orders, and I'd be the first in line.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Denmark is also a country that refused to hand over it's jewish citizens to the Nazi's during WW II. The Dutch are quite fond of us as well. It's the smaller countries that seem to like us most.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone needs to set this dude up with an account for Americans to help with his lost income.  Hell, I'd be happy to send him ten or twenty bucks despite the fact that I'm broke as hell right now.  I'm sure there are plenty of others that would do the same and could afford to "help" a lot more than I could.

A few thousand small contributions could help this guy retire.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Someone needs to set this dude up with an account for Americans to help with his lost income.  Hell, I'd be happy to send him ten or twenty bucks despite the fact that I'm broke as hell right now.  I'm sure there are plenty of others that would do the same and could afford to "help" a lot more than I could.

A few thousand small contributions could help this guy retire.
View Quote

agreed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top