Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 10:39:24 AM EDT
All these posts as of late asking about how to achive small horsepower gains got me thinking.  Am I the only one who is satisfied with the power my trucks have?  These posts are great, and are truly filled with excellent information, it's just that I don't feel the least bit motivated to expand my performance envelope.  

Perhaps this, regular maintenence, and my light foot (that's light foot, not light in the loafers--wise asses) are the reasons why I usually get well above average life from even notoriously unreliablie vehicles.  Or, it just could be luck...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
you are not alone!

my fleet of still-running junk is testimony to our similar need for longevity and lower maintanance.

anyone that shows up for bulletfest will witness the rusted out '89 s-10...still faithfully hauling targets out to the berm.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
you are not alone!

my fleet of still-running junk is testimony to our similar need for longevity and lower maintanance.

anyone that shows up for bulletfest will witness the rusted out '89 s-10...still faithfully hauling targets out to the berm.
View Quote

pretty much what he said.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't try to get more power out of my POS, but I drive it like I'm in a constant race.  I've had four Fords and have yet to tear one up.

TS
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Interestingly enough, the truck I've "just lost" was an '88 S10 Durango 4*4.  Alas, corrosion took her away from me.  Even the FRAME had sizeable rust holes in bad spots.  Zero chance at passing the VA inspection and not worth the bucks required to fix.  Two years ago, I was told that the body around 2 of the 6 bolts/bushings that held the cab to the frame had rusted completely away.  I had to have a fabrication shop build some adapters and weld them on.  It has the notorious 2.8 liter with 189,000 and except for the AC, the mechanics are still sound.  Too many trips to the Outer Banks of NC.  Soon, the Kidney Foundation will take her...

Yo Campy!  If yours is a long bed (7ft), I'll give you a sweet (and was expensive) shell.  The only condition, is you have to come get it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I drive an '93 Nissan Sentra with 174k miles...

This ricer burns no oil and gets 33 MPG.  She ain't pretty, but she gets me to work.

With gas prices as high as they are, I gladly drive my little rubber-band-winder.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
just to add...

the 2.8L v-6/slushbox has pulled a 4500 lb. trencher on a 1500 lb. trailer, towed my bmw on a 1200 lb. trailer, hauled my harleys, moved me 25 miles to the new farm/house, helped build the fenceline and keeps the place maintained, carries me to work and gunshows and hauls groceries.

so far, it's hauled 60+ appliances and a garden tractor out to bulletfest (it's 4rth bulletfest) this year.

i firmly believe a lot of a vehicle's service life is determined by the attitude and right foot of the user.

at lunch i talked to a friend. he was sitting in his brand new 3/4 ton ford. i complimented him on the beautiful rig and he immediately started bitching about the v-10's terrible gas milage! lol!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
drift...thanks for the offer.

i have a short bed. several years ago, i paid $75 for a used, big bucks fibreglass cap to protect my furniture as we moved it down into the new house.

i hated that thing! ruined my rear vision. i tried selling it for what i had in it...no luck. i ended up giving it to one of the guys i work with. he used the sliding windows for his son's clubhouse! lol!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
im a power junky, as evidenced by my history in racing and engine building

but im also poor as hell, as evidenced by the selling of my race car and the stockness of my current truck

though it is a 340hp 450ft/lbs pavement stomper from the factory [:P]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you are not alone!

View Quote

heheheh...better hope it doesn't quit out there...I shudder to think what a minigun would do to it!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top