Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 9:02:15 AM EDT
I'd like to take my son on a deep sea fishing trip in San Diego this summer. Who is a good outfitter to use for a 1/2 or 3/4 day trip? What can we expect to catch during the summer? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
if you want to have some real fun go out on a one day and get into some nice tuna, have you ever fished for tuna?? its nuts those things are so strong. things haven't picked up yet, when are you thinking of going?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You have many choices for part-day through multi-day tours.  I haven't gone out in many years and can't recommend one, though I've heard the one that departs from Imperial Beach pier is a good choice because you get out to the open ocean quicker than the ones that leave from Mission Bay or San Diego Bay.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to run a private albacore boat out of Shelter Island Marina. You MUST go albacore fishing!! You MUST!!! Make it a full day trip.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a copy of Western Outdoor News mailed to you.

Summer is time for top water species.  Tuna's include Albacore, Blue Fin, Big Eye, Yellowfin.  Also Yellowtail is a blast and tasty.

Best to get reservations on a full day boat but a 3/4 day boat is better then a 1/2 day boat.

The open party boats are easy to find but a crapshoot for the makeup of people.  Some organizations put together charters for novices to the sport.  Some even put some together for kids.

The Endeavor out of Seaforth Landing (Mission Bay) has a top notch skipper.

When are you going?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tuna's include Albacore, Blue Fin, Big Eye, Yellowfin.  Also Yellowtail is a blast and tasty.
View Quote

Growin up a land lover, I gotta ask.....

Can you use a .223 on these or do you [i]need[/i] a .308?

Thanks!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a good site with up to date counts on what's being caught too: [url]http://www.biteson.com/sdmex.shtml[/url]
You can catch yellowtail, barracuda, bass, tuna and dorado if they're around.  All the landings on that particular page are in San Diego except for Helgren's which is in Oceanside.  Have fun......I love that stuff too!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips.  This will be our first ocean fishing trip and I'm hoping to make it a good experience. In fact, the last time I was on the ocean was aboard an Amphibious Assault Ship with a six aircraft detachment of Harriers. Didn't have much time for fishing then! I'm planning on going in July sometime, hopefully this is a good time of year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
This is my favorite board for fishing,they got it all,fish counts,boat reviews,tackle tips,the whole bit.I'm going the 13th of Jul. on the Sea Adventure. Nothing fancy but the skipper knows his way around. [url]http://www.sport-fish-info.com/dcforum/cgibin/dcboard.cgi[/url]  EDIT:another local link for you [url]http://www.azodchat.com/huntforum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=10[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top