Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 7:17:51 AM EDT
A situation has arisen that makes me think it would be wise to have a high quality pocket voice recorder with me on a regular basis.  I need something that makes a high quality recording while running in a shirt pocket, sitting on a desk, etc.  Specifically, I am looking for brand names and types of recording media.  Are there advantages to electronic vs. tape?  Can electronic be easily downloaded to *.WAV or other file types?  Are either or both acceptable for evidentiary issues?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an older Olympus micro-cassette recorder that has served me well for about 15 years. I used it recently to make verbal notes while looking at houses. Of course, I was not trying to use it "concealed" in any sense.

I know there are a number of digital voice recorders that are smaller and perhaps more suited to your application. Of course, Sony appears to lead the market in this arena. This [url=http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=bsZNN9HkD2pNPu8BmTNHPJ7rss5xdsisayc=?CatalogCategoryID=W5gKC0%2eNvgEAAAD1N9xN_bDM&ProductID=RcwKC0%2eNvSYAAAD12yZN_bDS&Dept=pa]LINK[/url] is for a rather spiffy number that uses Memory Sticks. It can plug into your PC, and using the provided softwar can transcribe the recording into text! $300, but nevertheless nifty. You might trot down to your local Office Depot, Staples, or whatever, to play with the ones they have on display.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Fox,
I went through a divorce a couple years back and I did not find a small one that worked well.  I did not look at the $300+ units and maybe should have.  I'm thinking I might take a look at one myself and hope someone has some good ideas.
I'll post any I come across.
VF
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
how much rec time do you need?

I think Radio Shack has some digital recorders housed inside a ball-point pen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dictaphone makes the type that the doctors use for transcribing pateint info.......run about $600.00.
Charlie
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a panasonic "microcassette" recorder. Fits in shirt pocket, has mic, and phone adaptor. I think I got it for about $60. Works fine, fits in shirt pocket...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Odyssey 300. (discontinued)
It is very small!!!!
It is an MP3 player.
It a has [b]built in Microphone[/b], FM radio, and external line input.  It can record off all these sources and records in MP3 format (different conversion rates for each source).
It has 128MB internal flash, and takes 128MB SmartMedia cards as well.
The AA cell lasts about 10 hours.
It is also USB.

I love it.  I use it to record voices.  It's next generation model, the FL-100, records only in WAV format (best, but doesn't last as long), but plays many other formats/
It can have 256MB internal and takes Secure Digital (I think).  For a total of 384MB.  BUT - most of the sales only have 128MB internal.
They are both MPIO (Korea?) imported by DigitalWay or e.Digital in the USA.

Here is why it is cool - most people do not realize it is a recorder!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dzl - I will head out to Office Depot, Circuit City and Good Guys to see what they have.  It never occurred to me they might have some on display for testing.

Von - I will keep everyone posted on what I find.

Boom - Probably not more than 60 minutes, but I do not think I want to go less.  The Sony in the link provided by Dzl has 60 at super high quality.  I would be willing to go that high for $$$, as long as I was certain it would do the job.  I will check with the local Shack.

Charlie - that Dictaphone is too rich for my blood.

Liberty - More info. would be appreciated on the Panasonic.  What model?  Have you tested it in meeting or interview situations?  If so, how was the clarity at playback?

Super - I will take a look at the Odyssey line.

Thank you all for the input.  Keep it coming if anyone thinks of something else.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can still find them, get an Olympus L-400. It was designed for federal law enforcement and when you see one you will see why. They've been around forever, but have yet to be improved upon. Microcassette, auto reverse, silent-stop (very important) TINY!!! lock-out controls (so you don't accidentally bump the wrong button at the wrong time!) and can hear a mouse fart at 15 yards. Last I checked, they could still be purchased from Saul Mineroff Electronics in New York. Saul has been working with different intelligence agencies since J. Edgar Hoover was still in office. Good prices too!
www.mineroff.com
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an Olympus digital recorder everyday. 2+ hours of record time. Dictate notes, download to Mac in a USB cradle, email .wav files to transcriptionist, get word doucuments back the next day.  I am going to start playing with ViaVoice in the next few months.  Highly rec the Olympus.  Dont remember the model off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Test what you settle on extensively before using when you need it.  Learn the quirks and bugs ahead of time.

Make sure your batteries are fresh.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top