Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 4:55:26 PM EDT
On the net is there a place like pricewatch.com for car insurance? These local yahoo's companies want way to much for a premium.
I have company and personal vehicles.
Thanks in advance
Rick
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend NoState, the "Cold Hands People" [;D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Farm Bureau is not bad, especially if you can fold your house insurance into the deal.  I'm not sure they're in TN.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Progressive. Go see a local insurance agent. Most sell Progressive in TN. They have the best claim service in the business. Have great rates and are growing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The cheapest place I found was Kemper Direct.

[edited for spelling ]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
USAA if you can get it
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
USAA is a great outfit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
American Family Insurance
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Geico saved me $250 a year over USAA.
View Quote

Cheaper is NOT always better.  You couldn't get me away from USAA for love or money.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been with Rockingham for 12 years now and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I have all of my ins. with them and they have given me better rates than others across the board. Business and personal.

Farm Bureau is good also.
Erie is OK. They have good rates for business.

I've never been with State Farm but I've done claim work for a few people who had been with them for years but when they had a claim, they were cancelled and had to sue or threaten to sue to get their claims paid.

The last time I checked (about a year and a half ago) GEICO and Progressive wanted about 50% more than what I'm paying now. No bargains there IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for usaa.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
AMICA for both house and cars.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the help so far. I've found Liberty Mutual to have the best price. Geico and Progressive was so out out of the ball park I think they were in the next town. I haven't had a claim in over 12 years even though i could of for a break in...it just wasn't worth it to pay higher costs cause some bumb took my radio.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
one more for USAA
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Progressive is fine UNLESS you need to collect.  Ask any body shop about those CROOKS.  They really beat the repair down and try to insist on bogus parts.  Avoid like the clapp!

I use State Farm.  Like all insurance they suck but not quite as bad.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Farm Bureau
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Call your state insurance board and find out who the direct insurers are.  Here, we only have like 3 or 4.  The rest are brokers who are going to take their cut.

Anyone singing the praises of State Farm ought to remember they are anti-gun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd be even more concerned that they have lost several billion dollars in the last few years.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Call your state insurance board and find out who the direct insurers are.  Here, we only have like 3 or 4.  The rest are brokers who are going to take their cut.

Anyone singing the praises of State Farm ought to remember they are anti-gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Geico is awesome, but you need to talk to them on the phone so you can get discounts and trash.  I'm paying about $400 less than the quote that I just got from 21st century.  But the standard quote is probably pretty high.  Having an account with navy fed, being military, and then there's the good driver discounts (if they only knew) and stuff like that.  Really takes it down quite a bit.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
USAA is unbeatable on price, and you'll never find a greater outfit.  Some outfits you'll wonder if they'll make a fuss over firearms.  Not with USAA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
USAA all the way, there is LITERALLY nothing better.....I am a 24 yrs old with a sports coupe living in Los Angeles, with $500,000 of insurance, $300,000 in uninsured insurance, $100,000 in medical pay, have 24/7 roadside assistance, and have been very graciously helped out when my car was broken into, no questions asked.  I only pay $100 a month, really can't beat it.  If you can, get USAA
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Cheaper might be better if you have nothing but liability. Of course, if the insurance company acts in bad faith in paying a claim, the other person will come after you for the money.

If you have collision, you probably want a company that will take care of you. State Farm is pretty good in that regard.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#25]
This arfcom/everbody/doin/the/same/thing crap is getting old....[;)]

I was [b]JUST[/b] shoppin rates online....

I have Farmers...Geico cut a hundred bucks off of it, after dropping my deductables, AND raising my rental car allowance. I iwll be calling the local agent tommorrow with the bad news....

Farmers DOES have a GREAT gun rider though. Since Geico only does auto, I will keep my other insurance with Farmers....Must insure guns....and safe....and stuff...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#26]
USAA
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, being the resident "insurance whore" (according to some people) on this board, I am well-qualified to give advice on this matter.  I am licensed in 15 states and sell for 11 companies, including Travelers, Hartford, GE, Leader, Infinity, Omni, Hannover, Allmerica, Kemper, Esurance, and Atlanta Casualty.  This is all done under the aegis of Ford Motor Company.

Most people don't even understand their coverages and deductibles.  Many companies have whacked fees for doing monthly payments or getting actual paper bills in the mail vs. doing electronic payments.  Some actually guarantee your rate for 12 months instead of a measly 6 months.

When I talk to people there are a number of hard and fast rules I live by.  If I am saving someone under $100 a year and they've been with their company more than 10 years I tell them to stay put unless they are unhappy with their service.  If they are with USAA (and I've been with them for 21 years) I don't even try - I tell them that the next 20 minutes will be a waste of their time because we have NEVER beaten them and they are a great company (and I know this from personal experience).

Luckily, though, in most states we're in (especially TN, CA, FL, OH, and NC) we are kicking major ass on rates.  I wrote 6 policies yesterday (including a homeowners, which we also do) and saved these people from $250 on the low end to $1696 on the high end - that guy was VERY happy with his new rate!

(and now, for a little "whoring") - if you'd like a quote, email me at - [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Progressive is fine UNLESS you need to collect.  Ask any body shop about those CROOKS.

[red]Please explain to me what you mean by crooks??? All body shop have the right to refuse to repair any car for any insurance company. SO why do they all do business with crooks?[/red]

They really beat the repair down and try to insist on bogus parts.  Avoid like the clapp!

[red]I belive it was State Farm that was sued in a class action lawsuit for using after market parts and lost.[/red]

I use State Farm.  Like all insurance they suck but not quite as bad.

[red]State Farm Lost 7 billion dollars last year. Progressive made a profit. Lose money rates go up. Make money rates stay they same.[/red]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Geico saved me $250 a year over USAA.
View Quote

Maybe where you live, but down here in Miami USAA is HALF what Geico is.

No-shitter....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#30]
USAA
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Progressive SUCKS ASS!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was [b]JUST[/b] shoppin rates online....

I have Farmers...Geico cut a hundred bucks off of it, after dropping my deductables, AND raising my rental car allowance. I iwll be calling the local agent tommorrow with the bad news....

Farmers DOES have a GREAT gun rider though. Since Geico only does auto, I will keep my other insurance with Farmers....Must insure guns....and safe....and stuff...
View Quote

Called my agent, he was able to cut some more off of my rates. I am still paying about 40 bucks more than Geico, but from what Greywolf said, I think I will let him keep that 40 bucks. I have been VERY happy with the service from them. (And he's got a hot secretary AND good gun coverage!)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah Progressive suck ass allright. They are now the third largets insurnace company in the US. Have you looked at their stock it sucks too. Forbes magazine rated them a best buy last month. Their stock has out preformend even Wal-Mart stock for growth. List symbol is PGR look for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#34]
USAA - auto and home.  they have been real good about getting the boys on the policy (No cost when on learners permits) and when my oldest went on active duty the got him a no car policy on his own account that made his rates much cheaper when he got a car.  He then had insurance history before getting his first car.

They also were great when the copper repiping blew in the wall and the repiping company was gone.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah Progressive suck ass allright. They are now the third largets insurnace company in the US. Have you looked at their stock it sucks too. Forbes magazine rated them a best buy last month. Their stock has out preformend even Wal-Mart stock for growth. List symbol is PGR look for yourself.
View Quote

I don't care about their stock. Their customer service sucks. The wife and I had them for a grand total of three months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top