Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 2:49:18 PM EDT
Letter writing gets you a nice, "canned" answer. I rec. the last 2paragraphs every time I write about anything having to do w/ firearms issues.

Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for contacting me about the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban.  I appreciate hearing from you.

President Bush has called for the extension of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, which instituted a ban on the manufacture and sale of 19 listed
assault weapons.  I voted in favor of the assault weapons ban proposal as part of the 1994 Crime Bill.  Weapons like the "Street Sweeper" have no place outside a battlefield, and our law enforcement officers are
increasingly finding themselves outgunned.  I agree with President Bush on this issue.

I do not advocate a national gun registry or licensing, and I believe that we Vermonters do not need gun registration.  There are other, more effective ways to curb gun violence. I believe background checks of firearm purchasers will help prevent future shooting tragedies from taking place by keeping guns out of the hands of children and criminals.

As a native Vermonter, I grew up hunting and fishing in the out-of-doors, and these experiences influence my approach to gun control issues.  I have owned firearms since I was 14 years old and often enjoy target shooting with my friends and family in Vermont.  I understand that the vast
majority of gun owners in Vermont and around the country use and enjoy their firearms in a responsible and safe way, and I do not support
efforts to ban the transfer of firearms between law abiding citizens.

I am neither a member of any groups that support either side of the gun control debate, nor do I agree with any one philosophy regarding gun control.  I do believe, however, that Congress has a responsibility to pass effective crime control legislation which will actually do something about fighting crime and limiting violence.  I consider legislative
proposals regarding gun control on the merits of those proposals and vote on them accordingly.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please keep in touch.

Patrick Leahy
United States Senator

http://leahy.senate.gov /

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like another one is full of shit!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]"...nor do I agree with any one philosophy regarding gun control."[/b]

A frank admission that Senator Leahy has no philosophy of his own on the issue.

I thought we paid our elective representatives to have solid, well-founded opinions that reflect the attitudes of their constituents, not to be wet noodles going whatever way they think the wind blows.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
you should write him back asking him if he has any philosophy regarding the US Constitution!!!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
the military uses street sweepers?
after all, a US senator says they only have a place on the battlefield
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top