Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 2:46:56 PM EDT
[url]http://www.militarybikes.com/para.html[/url]

[):)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have sen this thing and it is not something I would take for a day in the wood let alone trust my life to.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.militarybikes.com/lib/montague-military/02paropen.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.militarybikes.com/lib/montague-military/02parclosed.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
 Been a few years since I saw one of these. They've upgraded the front wheel with the disc brake, otherwise spec'd as you might expect for an inexpensive bike. Gotta be tight making price point of $700 with a foldable aluminum frame. Black or gray anodized wheels would be a good upgrade.
 Concept fills some[?] niche I'm sure-looks like it'd fit in a Jeep or Toy FJ-40 without messing with a bike rack. Would definitely cache more easily than a std. bike.
 I considered one to carry in my canoe hog hunting-both to cover more area to find sign and to bring one out of the swamp. May do it yet. Would definitely upgrade the gruppo, wheels and seat. Ghost
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What a load of crap design.  What is wrong?  Well, the collapsable design for one.  Aluminum will not last loaded like that thing is at the QR to main tube junction.

It would be easier to take a standard Cannondale Scapel and turn it into a take-down bike with NO loss of strength and these are raced daily.  All you would need would be a QR system for the EPO stays and voila, same package dimensions as this bike AND with a hybrid soft tail/full suspension.

Single boom main tubes are not a good idea for a heavily loaded bike.  They are too stiff in section modulus (weld failures) yet too weak in structural modulus and thus, overload the welds.

For $300 more, you can have a made in USA Scapel with FULL suspension.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I wouldn't jump out of a plane with that thing on my pack. [shock]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
[b] Would definitely upgrade the gruppo,...[/b]

CAMPAGNOLO!!!!!

oh hell! if melton's light little folders have held up to 30 years of abuse, that thing should last most floks a lifetime.

but please! frieds don't let friends ride shitmano.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB
View Quote

Hmmm, I disagree, I'll take some dura ace thank you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Man, I wouldn't jump out of a plane with that thing on my pack. [shock]
View Quote

hehehe...the website did say you drop it from the sky.  i wonder if it comes with its own chute?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

IBTL!!!

BTW, Shimano was crap 15 years ago.  Now its the best thing going in R&D.  Sure, you want something pretty yo look at, go spend the extra for Campy.  And it used to be if you wanted a 10 cog cluster, you went to Campy but no more.  Dura Ace 10 is out, at least in the professional racing circles.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#11]
BAH!!!!!

[img]http://www.campyonly.com/images/ride_photos/2002/tahoe_epic/20020826-006_cropped.jpg[/img]

[url]www.CAMPYONLY.com[/url]

let's see...componentry made by folks that make fishing reels...or...by folks that make ferrari road wheels and satellite chassis?

componentry made by short, little japanese dudes that never saw a road racing bike or biffed it on a mountain bike...or...by the ancestors of tullio campagnolo...A ROAD ACE?

forza italia! forza azurro!

columbus tubes. campy gear. sella san marco seats. cinelli bars and stem.

keep yer dura-ass recycled beer cans!

see ya at the top of the hill, boyz!

(all in good fun. don't tell anyone this...but, my track bike has a...er...umm...dura-ace crankset and bb!)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Dudes! Campy, and Dura ace are roady stuff. Thats a Mtn Bike.  XTR is way to go!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
And my Italian steel bike is all Dura Ace save the bottom bracket because the Italians have funny threads!

Does Campy do hydraulic disc brakes?  MMMMM, Magura disc brakes...going down one hill, late at night I actually got a few sparks off my Louise front brake!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BAH!!!!!

componentry made by short, little japanese dudes that never saw a road racing bike or biffed it on a mountain bike

View Quote

Ummm, Lance won a couple of tours with "fishing reels" on his bike.

'nuf said
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't bother comparing Shimano to Campy...if it were not for Campy guys, we would not see huge profits from the stock markets.  After all, someone must pay over-inflated prices for others to reap the rewards.

There is one difference, you will never see Campy on department store bikes as Shimano outsources this production line to 3rd world Asian countries.  Dura Ace, Ultegra, XTR and XT are still made in Japan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top