Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 1:19:41 PM EDT
I got cable internet last week and so far its doing a 2MB/sec ftp download.  I want to use a PC as a firewall.  Can I build a cheap PC to connect to the cable modem then share internet through a two port NIC and have as much security as a software firewall?

My main PC is a Dell PIII 1GHz and is connected to the cable modem.  I built a second PC using a Mini-ITX and I'm fitting it into an ammo can.  They share internet. I might build a third one to be the firewall that boots from flash.  [url]http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/ammobox/[/url]

Thanks,

Shok
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to waste a whole PC for as a firewall? Get a Linksys BEFSR41 instead. Works as firewall, router and manages the Internet connection sharing too. Costs only about $50. No messing around with 2 port nics or multiple nics either.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally use a seperate firewall running on a PC.   Pentium 90  64meg ram  1gig HDD  2 single port ethernet, and 1 quad port ethernet. All running on OpenBSD.
But I have a fairly large network.
Smaller networks or home users that don't want to mess with using a PC firewall, should probly go with something like a linksys router/firewall.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What do you want to waste a whole PC for as a firewall? Get a Linksys BEFSR41 instead. Works as firewall, router and manages the Internet connection sharing too. Costs only about $50. No messing around with 2 port nics or multiple nics either.
View Quote

Ditto.  Spend the money on ammo instead.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
LinkSys is the way to go.

I use it at home (wireless), works great.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto on the Linksys cable router.  Add protection, multiple pc connections.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Netgear MR814 here. Running 5 pcs. Cheap, easy set up and works with any 802.11b cards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for a firewall/router.  I've got a Dlink and have also used an SMC.  Both were/are great units.  My only beef with Linksys (but they may have changed it since then) is the router log is very minimal so it's useless for sending reports to ISPs in case you log an attack.

More opinions than you can shake a stick at here: [url]www.broadbandreports.com[/url]  It's the AR15.com of the internet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at routers which most of you suggested and your right, it looks like the best way to go.

Thanks for the help!

Shok
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, use a Linksys router, and you can download a pretty decent free firewall (Zone Alarm) from zonelabs.com.  Go for the router though.  Pretty much flawless in my experience.  

I"ve been using a BEFSR81.  Same as 41, but 8 port.

MournSword
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're a computer newbie, go buy a linksys. You plug it in and it works.

Otherwise, download openbsd 3.3 and rtfm on PF. Bandwidth queueing/prioritization, stateful inspection, NAT, and much more.

www.openbsd.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top